Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to a series of posts about the design and development of Blight Chronicles: Agent Decker, the expanded official release of Agent Decker, published by Board & Dice.

Quote:
Agent Decker’s campaign is designed around a sequence of five missions.

The good part is that they give the players new objectives along the way, forcing them to adapt as they’re gradually forced outside their comfort zone. The bad part is that this only works once. Once you know the missions and how to beat them the mystery is gone and you can prepare for them in advance.

– From “SUPERHOT: The Card Game – Designer Diary 3”

The design for Blight Chronicles started from that very problem and arrived at different solutions, for three reasons:

- Story: While it seems subtle on the surface level it is an important part of the process because it informs the design of every card.
- Progression: The feeling of progression where you’re gradually facing stronger obstacles as your gear (hopefully) improves.
- Relevance: The original Agent Decker files are still available online and Superhot: The Card Game is in stores, so why would you play this one instead?

The obvious solution to increase replayability was to leave the obstacles deck untouched and simply increase the amount of goals you need to complete. Instead of a fixed sequence of 5 missions you would have multiple goals for each mission. During setup you shuffle their pile and draw one for each – face down so you can’t fine tune your deck in advance.

Simple!

The thing is, this time I am not designing alone.

This is a co-design with Matt Dembek, who was so inspired by the original game that he wanted to expand it in pretty much every aspect. I can’t wait to tell you what we’re working on, starting with how we changed the missions.

This post was originally published in my design blog. I'll update this thread as the designer diaries are posted. Blight Chronicles: Agent Decker is coming to Kickstarter soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to next blog entry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Missions are a key part of Agent Decker.

The original game had a fixed sequence of five missions:

Agent Decker (full art version) by Sara Mena

For added variability SUPERHOT: The Card Game ditched the fixed sequence and instead had a deck of goals to draw from. The further you are in the levels, the more goals you draw.

SUPERHOT: The Card Game by Paweł Niziołek

Due to its heavier focus on story and progression, Blight Chronicles needed a new system.

First let’s clarify the terms: in this game “Mission” refers to the whole campaign, which is divided into “Stages”. Stages define the goals you’ll have to complete in order to progress through the Mission.

One of the challenges of letting the players customize their own deck throughout the game is that, depending on the player’s choices, some goals might become too easy and there’s even a risk of them being solved instantly once the setup is done. This, combined with our motivation to make the goals more challenging and engrossing, lead to the current system:

Multi-goal stage cards!

Blight Chronicles (work in progress), artwork by Ramses Bosque and graphic layout by Paweł Niziołek.

As you can see, the goal is “Discard 6 Mixed resources to jump over the fence”, but did you notice the 1 requirement before it? That means you can’t complete it right away.

You see, before the start of the stage a briefing will inform you that you’ll need a pair of Night Vision Binoculars in order to keep a low profile when infiltrating the enemy complex.

Blight Chronicles (work in progress), artwork by Ramses Bosque and graphic layout by Paweł Niziołek.

As part of the setup for the stage the binoculars are in the Obstacle Deck and will eventually make their way to the line. When you manage to eliminate the Guard House you get two things:

The Night Vision Binoculars, an item that you can use from now on.
- A token (currently named Event), which is placed on the Stage Card.
- Now that the requirement is met you can finally complete the goal!

I won’t spoil the other goals but I hope you can see the potential of this system! We’re having a lot of fun coming up with different ways to use it.

“Special Setup”? “Visibility”? What could those other icons mean? Stay tuned for the next Designer Diary!

This post was originally published in my design blog. I'll update this thread as the designer diaries are posted. Blight Chronicles: Agent Decker is coming to Kickstarter soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Kelly
msg tools
Wow! This looks like it will be a good change. Not too different but definitely gives the AD players a new challenge! Good Job! Are we still looking at a March release though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JulesKels wrote:
Wow! This looks like it will be a good change. Not too different but definitely gives the AD players a new challenge! Good Job! Are we still looking at a March release though?

Thanks! The Kickstarter campaign is soon and the release will be later in the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireneusz Huszcza
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gr9yfox wrote:
JulesKels wrote:

Thanks! The Kickstarter campaign is soon and the release will be later in the year.

We have a little downtime here but we will try to release it max up to middle of April. We just can't wait, but we want to do it right for all of you guys. And what important new Agent Decker... I love it - this story line, missions, when you feel that actions has influence on the story and your decisions are making game harder in next stage...
Can't wait to show you more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking real good.

One comment (I know the above is not final). Please make the text and icons big enough to read on a card. The one goal card above would be impossible to read if it was poker sized (the text with the 6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireneusz Huszcza
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
Looking real good.

One comment (I know the above is not final). Please make the text and icons big enough to read on a card. The one goal card above would be impossible to read if it was poker sized (the text with the 6).

Of course we will do that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out DoomGloom Dungeon!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks cool! I'd like to back up Ryan's comment about small text, we're not all 18 year olds, some of us are old gamers who need reading glasses! lol!

Good Luck. 👍
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dembek
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Nickydude wrote:
Looks cool! I'd like to back up Ryan's comment about small text, we're not all 18 year olds, some of us are old gamers who need reading glasses! lol!

Good Luck. 👍

Don't worry about the stage cards These will have a bigger size (the a6 format size) so all the text will be readable for all those not 18 year olds gamers as well !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an Agent Decker fan, I am super excited to learn of this! Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.