Subject: What kind of game is this? What kind of mechanics? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through the website and BGG and Youtube and Facebook and this much I gathered:

- You build a warband (clan) and go out on a mission (map?)
- You can play head to head and co-op
- Each map has both versus and co-op mission
- Missions are "story" based
- You use app to create some parts of the mission
- After the mission you can upgrade your troops

But it seems every explanation seems to skip the actual "how to play" part. There are just some random videos where people are playing, but it doesn't really give you an idea how the rules mechanics work.

1. How is a player turn structured?
2. What does "story" mean here? Random encounters?
3. If I only have one map how is replayability?
4. Is there a game the system "feels" like?
5. How tactical/strategic is this game? How many different action choices does a model have when it activates?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fuller
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Father, Husband, Project Manager, Fantasy Football Commissioner, Tabletop Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished reading the Quick Start rules today, here is what I know so far:

1. Turn order is random in a way comparable to Aeon's end. Everyone throws cubes of their chosen color in a bag/cup, one for each warrior they have. You draw and whoever has their cube drawn activates that guy one unit to go. Once everyone has gone you reset and start again. There is no big bad necessarily like in AE to take a turn, but NPC enemies can be added as you go. As for actions, you are moving, fighting, healing, and using spells on your turn (adding in any scenario specific actions on top of that).

2. The game has an app that handles events in a way I would compare to Dead of Winter. There is a deck, another player reads to you and you may need to make a choice when you reach certain locations. Each adventure has its own app, so as far as I know the encounters will change as you move between missions.

3. That I do not know yet, but from what I understand you can reset the app between plays. It appears they have new adventures coming out that reuse some of the maps, but I get the feeling you will want more maps as you move through the game.

4. The game play sounds a lot like tabletop skirmish games in the spirit of Necromunda, Malifaux, or Shadow War Armageddon, but with a simpler rule set than most. The game has measuring in this same style. The game also can have a persistent leveling up mechanism like the games mentioned as well where you can get upgraded gear and improve the character, but they can also die and need to be replaced.

5. This I will earn after a few plays, but the game is simple and tactical.

We plan to try this out over the weekend, I will post more once I have some experience under my belt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.