Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Winnu Flagship/Plasma Scoring Twilight Imperium 4e rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Knowles
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Super noob question but I cannot find any clarification anywhere. When the Winnu flagship says “roll additional die for each non-fighter enemy ship in the system” does each additional die produce a hit or do all of the dice only apply to making sure you hit once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarmog wrote:
Super noob question but I cannot find any clarification anywhere. When the Winnu flagship says “roll additional die for each non-fighter enemy ship in the system” does each additional die produce a hit or do all of the dice only apply to making sure you hit once?

The actual text on the Winnu race card is pretty self-explanatory:

Quote:
When this unit makes a combat roll, it rolls a number of dice equal to the number of your opponent's non-fighter ships in this system.

Any of those dice that roll 7 or higher score a hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Knowles
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
That’s what I explained to my friend but he said that it means it gives you a better chance to hit only once and I was wondering if there was a clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Zarmog wrote:
That’s what I explained to my friend but he said that it means it gives you a better chance to hit only once and I was wondering if there was a clarification.
Literally nothing in the entire game works on that basis, why would he think that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarmog wrote:

A number of units get to roll multiple dice in combat; that fact is an essential aspect of their value. The rules on how this works are quite clear. See, eg., RR, p. 22:

Quote:
If a unit’s combat roll produces a result that is equal to or greater than that unit’s combat value, that result produces a hit.

If a unit’s combat value contains two or more burst icons, the player rolls one die for each burst icon instead.

The text for the Winnu flagship effectively grants it a number of burst icons equal to the number of opponent ships in its system. Plasma Scoring, likewise, adds a die to a PDS combat roll. All dice that roll high enough score hits.

EDIT: Looking over the way the rules are worded, I think I have figured out why he's interpreting it this way. The rules don't explicitly say that every die that produces a hit result actually creates a hit. They refer to each unit making a "combat roll" and say that if a unit's combat roll "produces a result that is equal to or greater than that unit’s combat value, that result produces a hit." (Emphasis added) Then the RR modifies the 'combat roll' rule by saying burst icons add dice. So one could, if one squinted a bit, try to rules lawyer it to say that the 'extra dice' are merely a way to improve the odds that that unit's "combat roll" will produce "a hit", not that they can produce multiple hits.

As this flies in the face of ~20 years of TI play, the fact that the RR doesn't explicitly spell out the fact that every die can hit on its own is not surprising. But that is in fact how the dice work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Knowles
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Thanks @amuk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fielding
New Zealand
Avondale
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
Zarmog wrote:

I don't understand what your friend is confused about, what was his argument? Also why did you mention plasma scoring in the title - I am not sure how it bears on the winnu flagship conversation (especially since nothing about the flagship interacts with plasma scoring, as it has neither bombardment or Space cannons) ?

To be clear Winnu flag ship rolls one dice for every enemy non fighter ship in its system -every- time it rolls dice to hit. It scores one hit for each of those dice that are a 7 or more (barring action card modifiers)

Plasma Scoring provides one extra dice to one of your bombarding units each invasion phase, or one extra dice per space cannon activation (not per PDS)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too think the friend is assuming that the lack of icons next to the Combat value means the ship only gets one potential to hit, but that is wrong.

The funny thing is that if the Winnu Flagship were to enter a system with only Fighters, it cannot roll any dice against them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.