9 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » Variants

Subject: Has anyone made their own Season Packs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Gravity
msg tools
If so, how did it go?

I wanted to incorporate all of the monsters from the Daimyo box and Monster Pack into the Season Card sets.

If you have the two expansions I mentioned (which come with the base Kickstarter version), it means that by rearranging some cards, you can effectively get an extra Season Cards set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minel Ungureanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
The game has already 5 sets of Season Cards. 1 set comes from Dynasty expansion pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Gravity
msg tools
I mean, that's great, but this is the Variants section so I'm asking about Season Card sets that people have made using the cards they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mordimer Madderdin
Poland
flag msg tools
You can just throw in all of the extra monster cards that you have to each season. It could affect balance though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet but I've thought about it. The main thing you'd need to be careful of are creating degenerate combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad dugas
United States
nevada city
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds Nasty! what are Degenerate Combos??? OP'd or just broken and dead end combo's?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad dugas
United States
nevada city
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you think it would be too unbalanced if you shuffled all the season cards together to build 12 to 14 card season decks. Basically with the Monster Pack and Daimyo Box expansions you get 5 extra Monsters in the Spring and Summer seasons and 4 extra monsters in the Autumn season. So that means when adding all the cards together you have 17 Spring and Summer season cards and 16 Autumn cards. The instructions say each season deck should have 12 cards and with the Monster Pack expansion it says you can add 1 to 2 monsters to each season deck.

Anyway does any one think this lazy way of just keeping all the cards together and shuffling decks out from them at the beginning of each new game could be a viable way of building the Season decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Gravity
msg tools
DrProfHazzmatt wrote:
I haven't yet but I've thought about it. The main thing you'd need to be careful of are creating degenerate combos.

Yeah, this is really true. I'm sure there are some broken combos you could find. You might have to playtest a custom set a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Gravity
msg tools
chaddugas wrote:
Do you think it would be too unbalanced if you shuffled all the season cards together to build 12 to 14 card season decks. Basically with the Monster Pack and Daimyo Box expansions you get 5 extra Monsters in the Spring and Summer seasons and 4 extra monsters in the Autumn season. So that means when adding all the cards together you have 17 Spring and Summer season cards and 16 Autumn cards. The instructions say each season deck should have 12 cards and with the Monster Pack expansion it says you can add 1 to 2 monsters to each season deck.

Anyway does any one think this lazy way of just keeping all the cards together and shuffling decks out from them at the beginning of each new game could be a viable way of building the Season decks?

Yes, it would be unbalanced. I'm sure that Eric Lang and any of the other designers/playtesters made sure that the Season Sets were quite balanced before they released them.

Crafting your own 12-card-per-season sets is one thing, and even that might be unbalanced if you weren't careful. I think shuffling them up would be interesting, but ultimately it would make certain strategies or clans win any given game because of the luck of the draw.

I got the Monster Pack/Daimyo Box as well. What I did is take the 4 Season Sets and all of the extra Monster cards and create 5 unique Season Sets. I'm sure they will take multiple play-throughs to balance properly.

(Also, I made a spreadsheet to keep track of the cards in order to help me do this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hAz4qRfIoEbGsTloR8rj... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.