Collin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During stage one of the Fate of Numenor (quest #2 from the Grey Havens box, entitled "Explore the Island"), is it just me, or is your best option to NOT TRAVEL TO ANY UNCHARTED LOCATIONS?!

Granted, I am new to the game... but, traveling is optional, right? And there is no real benefit to traveling to an uncharted location in this case because a new one will immediately take its place in the staging area, thereby negating any would-be threat reduction, right? Furthermore, (*Shocker Alert*) most of the uncharted locations have negative effects toward the players (except for maybe that one card that's not so bad), again leaving me feeling unmotivated to explore.

Now, if I have simply stumbled upon an effective strategy here, then I suppose I can accept that, as the quest can still provide a challenge (or at least it did the first time I tried it). However, one has to admit it seems a bit counter-thematic to have a quest stage called "explore the island" when your best play is to not explore the island. At all. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wiley
United States
Waukee
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think you are. The quest card states that progress can only be placed on it when exploring anactive lost island location. Which means, as I interpret it, that if a card had a 2 value printed on it, then you place 2 progress on the main quest when it is explored even if you over quested beyond that. This one proved to be quite challenging for my Scout deck I built, without even knowing the quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I hope you are right. That does seem like what they were going for.

My quest card says progress can only be placed "by quest effects." I assumed quest resolution would count as a quest effect. But you're saying that's wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or I have an incorrect version. Tried to search the FAQ but it's big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CUTHALI0N wrote:
Cool, I hope you are right. That does seem like what they were going for.

My quest card says progress can only be placed "by quest effects." I assumed quest resolution would count as a quest effect. But you're saying that's wrong?

Yep - you're wrong - the "by quest effects" refers exactly and only to the aformentioned requirement on the Quest Card itself and not regular quest resolution. You totally missed the point of the quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where does it refer to, exactly? What you're saying makes sense, I'm just seeing it clearly written anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*not seeing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CUTHALI0N wrote:
Where does it refer to, exactly? What you're saying makes sense, I'm just seeing it clearly written anywhere.

The Quest Card says:

Quote:
Progress cannot be placed on Explore the Island except by quest effects.
Forced: After a location is explored, add progress to Explore the Island equal to that location’s printed quest points. Forced: When an Uncharted location becomes the active location, add 1 copy of Lost Island from the top of the Uncharted deck to the staging area.

If you go back to the rules, page 23, you'll see this:

Quote:
On the cards found in the quest and encounter decks, card effects fall into one of 6 categories: constant effects, forced effects, when revealed effects, shadow effects, travel effects, and keywords.

The "Forced" keyword is your clue - the following text "After a location is explored...." is defining the type of card effect that the quest card has -
- the Forced effect is a "quest effect" as it is an effect defined by a quest card.

Placing progress on the quest by regular questing is not an effect - it is something that happens during Step 3 of the Quest phase during Quest Resolution (see page 14 of the rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to lay that out for me! I guess that does connect all of the dots, though it sure does seem far from obvious.

Wouldn't it be much easier to understand if they had just written "progress can only be placed on the quest card by the following effect: Forced:..." and skip the esoteric reference to p. 23 of the rulebook where "effects" are defined (yet they neglect to ever define a specific phrase such as "quest effects").

That is really what threw me off - having missed the fact that "effects" are limited to those specific categories of triggers written on the cards, I mistakenly thought the phrase "quest effect" was referencing the quest phase (the way a "quest action" does). It never occurred to me that it was referencing an effect written right there on that very card! (the quest card). It all seems so roundabout to me.

I will admit that I went straight from the core set to the grey havens expansion, so maybe this is a lesson that is more clearly taught and learned somewhere during the multitude of expansions that I skipped. But I thought it was all supposed to be modular, so it shouldn't really matter.

I am getting far enough along in understanding the rules to at least be enjoying the game, but at times like this I can't help but feel like applying all of the rules correctly is a bit of a daunting task. When I complete a quest I want to feel like I have triumphed, and not be left second-guessing myself, and feeling like I probably only won because I messed up a rule. I imagine this is a common feeling for beginners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.