BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Deluxe Edition or Big Box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Two choices in the poll; pick the best one. "Both," "Neither," "It depends" etc. are not included

Poll
Which of the following would you rather a publisher come out with
A deluxe anniversary edition of a game
A big box version of a game and its expansions
      148 answers
Poll created by EMBison
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Jack attack
badge
The grumpiest grump
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though it isn't an option, it does honestly depend on how many expansions there are. If there are like, two or three, then deluxe all the way! But if we are talking like 5 boxes of expansions and stuff, then big box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Australia
PORT MACQUARIE
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't they do both?

I would like nothing better than to open a deluxe big box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the version edition of a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a stupid question.

It depends on many things:
- The game itself--If I don't like the game, I don't want either edition.
- If the expansions suck... And games with lots of expansions (especially poorly integrated ones) often suck.
- Does the "deluxe" edition have beautiful but functionally unplayable art?

It is Bob Dole's answer the "Boxers or Briefs" question: Depends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the expansions in one place is really nice but I dislike the size of the big box games. Turns me off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very often an anniversary version also contains all available expansions. So it's equal to a big box. The question is, let's say it in a diplomatic way -> not very rethought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some big boxes aren't all they were cracked up to be. For example, since Dominion BB comes with base game, Alchemy, and Prosperity. While Alchemy still has a good rating, it is considered amongst the worst set in Dominion, both in BGG ratings, and what I've noticed from forum chatter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
What a stupid question.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not both? How about a deluxe big box version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us be functional, flats are small, shelf-space is valuable. Big box. Deluxe is useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
- If the expansions suck... And games with lots of expansions (especially poorly integrated ones) often suck.

HAHAHA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather K
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me expansion all the way. No matter how much I love a game I get burned out eventually. A deluxe version wouldn't change that for me. But expansions that I can mix and match and play with out of the same box? Yes, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A deluxe app version with all expansions as DLC. A whole lot cheaper and takes up less space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the stand alone expansions compatible with the Deluxe Anniversary edition?

e.g. Ticket To Ride 10th Anniversary has different size trains that makes using the map packs with it difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other: it depends.

If I had to choose just one answer, it would be...
Neither: keep the game in print at a reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quaama wrote:
Can't they do both?

I would like nothing better than to open a deluxe big box.

I also pick this. But I voted deluxe. If I have to choose, I want nice things over more things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Box version tend to be Deluxe ones as well. I'm tired of the Big Box movement though. Companies acting like space isn't limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Jack attack
badge
The grumpiest grump
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Big Box version tend to be Deluxe ones as well. I'm tired of the Big Box movement though. Companies acting like space isn't limited.

I think the idea of a big box is to help people whose space is limited. If a game has 5 different expansions, one box to hold them all is way more space saving then having 6 different boxes floating around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in the "not answering your poll because it really does depend on the game" camp. That said, I've never had cause to buy either a "big box" or "deluxe" edition of a game: I've yet to play a game I don't own but enjoy enough to want to get every expansion at once, and if I like a game enough to think about a deluxe version, were one available, I'd already have a bunch of money sunk into it.

rri1 wrote:
It is Bob Dole's answer the "Boxers or Briefs" question: Depends!

That joke is old enough to buy booze!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fullbloodlion wrote:
I think the idea of a big box is to help people whose space is limited. If a game has 5 different expansions, one box to hold them all is way more space saving then having 6 different boxes floating around.

In absolute terms, yes, but the packaging is still driven by marketing. For example, the Carcassonne big boxes have certainly been smaller than the base game and individual expansion boxes, but still bigger than they need to be. I have the base game plus three full and three mini expansions in an insert in the base box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadae
msg tools
While I love deluxe editions, they seem to be inevitably bought out by scalpers before regular players have a chance at them at an affordable price. I don't own any deluxe editions for this reason even though a few of them are grail games. So I put big box in the poll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fullbloodlion wrote:
matthean wrote:

I've always been able to reduce it down to where the box size simply isn't needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a GREAT question!

I picked anniversary edition because I really like that idea of a bigger & or better version of the same game I already have.

I do have El Grande Big Box but I'd rather have the 10th Anniversary edition instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dpbush wrote:
fullbloodlion wrote:

In absolute terms, yes, but the packaging is still driven by marketing. For example, the Carcassonne big boxes have certainly been smaller than the base game and individual expansion boxes, but still bigger than they need to be. I have the base game plus three full and three mini expansions in an insert in the base box.

I suspect it has more to do with shipping requirements than marketing, actually. Pack anything tightly and it does NOT do well in shipping.

But yes, it's certainly a problem with the big box variants regardless of the reason behind it.

(Although I buy them anyway. For me... well... mb.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.