Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TL;DR: scroll to bottom for link

Over the past several weeks I was tired of waiting for an announcement from FFG, so I've decided to make my own card. However there are several interesting things I've noticed in the current meta:

Too many Focus going around in the Rebel and Mercenary's camp

- Let's face it, Gideon and C-3PO are almost mandatory for any competitive lists because they hand out Focus like candies
- Weequays can absolutely wreck anything not only for their reroll, but also for their ability to Focus up + Hide to prepare for the next round
- Focused figures are able to dish out an enormous amount of damage in one shot (see next point)

The ability to do insane amount of damage in one shot

- 2 main factors in play here: Focus and Command cards
- Hunter command cards like Assassinate, Tools for the job, Heightened Reflex are so good because they can be played after seeing dice results. Focus up a figure and combine all those command cards and we have a monster that can do 8-10 pure damage per attack. I recall a previous story about a 13HP Terro (with black defense die) being one-shotted by Onar
- If units are consistently able to do outrageous amount of damage in one shot, eventually we'd need figures having 15-20 HPs before they might NOT be one-shotted

Rebel's signature ability are command cards, but a lot of command cards are shunned for fear of becoming dead-weights + there are so many good ones to choose from

- Both Imperial (Zillo) and Mercenary (Black Market) can get rid of dead-weights, yet there's nothing for Rebels, especially after Leia isn't as popular nowadays for fear of being one-shotted (see point above)

Hidden was introduced in Wave 6 Bespin, but frankly it's nowhere as popular as Focus

- It's a signature for spies but even eISBs usually favor the +2dmg over hidden

My attempt at fixing those problems:

- Make units immune to Focused attacks
- Give units ability to strip away Focus
- Restrict when/what command cards can be played
- Disincentivize Focus, penalize swingy command cards like Assassinate

Map creation by Vassal engine

Skirmish card and deployment card creation by Bitterman deployment card generator

I haven't discovered any broken combos from my playtestings, but please let me know if you've noticed something's too powerful/weak or if there's a wording mistake

Link to deployment cards: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R7J_HnCClPCj7DJUDV56zxXVL_m...

Link to skirmish map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sfepzbBRteJDZyhvXxCsdZdKvU...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reepicheep Catsbane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only did a brief overview of the cards, but they look pretty cool. One comment is that the elite death troopers might be a bit broken. As worded, they could sit next to cover, wait for the enemy to attack, then move behind cover and become the target of the attack. If they could break LoS with the 1MP, the attack would then end. This could be fixed by allowing them to gain 1MP and then become the target of the attack if eligible.

Otherwise, some interesting concepts. The theme is awesome as well (love Rogue One).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oo yes that was not my intention and I just fixed the wording. They're supposed to act as bodyguards and move up to protect if necessary, not sitting back then move away and play with the LOS trickery

However I'd grant them the bonus movement ONLY IF they're willing to be shot. Otherwise the AoE protection and eDT's movement can go through the roof

Basically I'd want this to be possible:

1. Krennic is about to get shot
2. eDT moves 1 if needed
3. if eDT don't move/refuse to sacrifice himself, then Krennic gets shot
if eDT moves then eDT will be in LOS. eDT gets shot and takes one for his superior. A good idea only for figures of high importance because they're 5pt each themselves, but there is a risk of dodging so...

Krennic never moves, so it's impossible to have the situation where enemy lost LOS to both Krennic and eDT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an agenda card that works like your eDT ability

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Unyielding Dedication: Keep this card secret. Play it during any mission when an attack is declared targeting a Leader.

Choose a friendly figure within 3 spaces of the defender. The chosen figure may interrupt to move up to 3 spaces to a space adjacent to the defender. Then, if the attacker has line of sight to the chosen figure, that figure becomes the target of the attack.

Then, either discard this card or shuffle it back into your Agenda deck.

2 Influence

This wording might help clarify your intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah...my intent is slightly different: I only want to give the eDTs bonus movement if they're willing to be shot

At 8HP and pick-your-die they're already sturdier than eSentry, giving them bonus movements everytime makes them way too powerful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricope wrote:
Ah...my intent is slightly different: I only want to give the eDTs bonus movement if they're willing to be shot

At 8HP and pick-your-die they're already sturdier than eSentry, giving them bonus movements everytime makes them way too powerful

In the card mentioned, as an agenda card, it is single use; play it once then discard it. So the substitute target is not over powered. Maybe you could use that ability as an attachment that is exhausted. It could then only be used once per round, or if you want it more limited, you could deplete it making only usable once per game, like the agenda card.

It's a really interesting ability, for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Berrier
msg tools
This is awesome!!

Where did you get the deployment card graphics from, not the photo but the design, text and numbers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dommelrbb wrote:
This is awesome!!

Where did you get the deployment card graphics from, not the photo but the design, text and numbers?

The deployment card creator? It's over on FFG forum

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/261469-make-y...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.