23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: "I need to eat" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I was on my way to lunch today when (appropriately enough) I heard someone moaning about how they needed to eat, and so I've finally bothered to ask...

For ages I've heard people go on about how they need to eat or they can't think, or will collapse from lack of energy into a wilted heap, or whatever. We're not talking about people with medical issues here, just people who claim not to function if they go without food for a few short hours.

So what the hell is this all about? I don't eat breakfast, and skipping lunch has no effect on my ability to think or perform. I'd probably have problems after not eating for a day or two, but 3 or 4 hours? And they treat it like some sort of crisis.

I boggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they eat coffee beans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanger(Hunger + anger) struggle is real. If I don't eat within a certain time frame, I can get very bad headaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
casualcasual wrote:

Probably. The vast majority of people I meet appear to be addicts.

But coffee isn't what they mean with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

So what the hell is this all about? I don't eat breakfast, and skipping lunch has no effect on my ability to think or perform. I'd probably have problems after not eating for a day or two, but 3 or 4 hours? And they treat it like some sort of crisis.

I boggle.

I'm the same, I can get to 4pm on an empty stomach. But my body is used to this, and I thinks that's a big part of the answer. If I were to eat breakfast every day for 2 years things would be different I think.

I've been on cycling holidays where I did have the feeling I needed to eat. Regular protocol was overruled there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
I was on my way to lunch today when (appropriately enough) I heard someone moaning about how they needed to eat, and so I've finally bothered to ask...

For ages I've heard people go on about how they need to eat or they can't think, or will collapse from lack of energy into a wilted heap, or whatever. We're not talking about people with medical issues here, just people who claim not to function if they go without food for a few short hours.

I boggle.
Metabolism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

I boggle.
Metabolism.

I get headaches, cold sweats (if very bad) and mother of all hunger pains when I don't eat regularly enough. Like spear in the stomach pains.

What's with people not eating frequently enough, or that don't need to, I don't get it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I can definitely go 3 - 4 hours without eating . . . but if I start approaching about 6 hours with no food I will usually start to get a headache and become a bit short-tempered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really is shocking how different something so universally needed is from person to person.

Also consider that you probably can't reasonably judge yourself on your ability to think or perform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people feel that they should eat when their stomach is not full (rather than actually empty). Also, a lot of people (naively) think that digestion begins and ends with the stomach, whist forgetting that the stomach is simply a 'buffer' (i.e. one's stomach can be empty whilst the upper/ lower digestive tracts still have plenty to work with).

I know of at least one person (personally) that will threaten to pass out any minute if not fed and watered (i.e. coffee) every 30 mins. This person definitely has a BMI greater than average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Some people feel that they should eat when their stomach is not full (rather than actually empty).

you guys do realize that to some their body adapts to this and the whole "addicted to food" joke is real, right?
Sure they can be snapped out of it but its a problem that too many people laugh at and dismiss just because they don't have it and can not imagine it. It is not the same as you just not eating for a day or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I don't eat something every 4 hours or so (at least a piece of fruit or some other snack), I get very lightheaded and find it difficult to function. Sometimes I can push it a bit, but if I ignore it too long, my whole body shuts down and it's like I have no energy. I suspect it's a blood sugar thing, although I don't really know the cause. Since it encourages me to eat properly, I've never had it checked. But yeah, it's real. I'm also one of those people who needs to eat 3 meals a day; skipping a meal leaves me ravenously hungry later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
For myself, the phrase makes no sense either.
It takes 8 to 10 hours of daytime activity before I start to feel hungry.
I eat at set times, every day, but I'm never actually hungry at lunch or supper time.
My normal routine is to eat nothing after 8:00 pm, and I'll often go to 11:30 the next morning with no cravings for food.

My wife has the "I need to eat" thing, though. So I know it's real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if some of it is from people who only drink at mealtimes, so it isn't hunger as much as dehydration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've know people like that who cannot stand to not have the feeling of their stomach being full. They were also high on the BMI scale. I've dieted enough throughout my life that I can stand hunger pains and know that they go away after awhile and that I will not die. But to those who feel symptoms of discomfort it is very real and difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
I wonder if some of it is from people who only drink at mealtimes, so it isn't hunger as much as dehydration.

I drink as much as anybody I know. If the recommended amount of water is 80oz. per day, I can do that by lunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

I boggle.

It's all what you're used to, I suppose; though teenagers go though a lot of food.

Myself, I alternate day fast (mostly). In theory I'm 5:2 fasting, but it's just easier to alternate days. So, I stop eating whenever on a feed day, then I sleep, don't break-fast, usually have a pot of tea or an equivalent amount of water, and keep drinking water or tea until evening when I have under 600 calories (mostly protein), then I go to sleep, and often have tea in the morning again. The whole "fast" (under 600 calories) lasts around 36 hours. Rarely I just don't feel hungry on a fast day and skip the 600 calories; often I'm not that hungry on a feed day and don't eat until late afternoon or evening.

I feel more impaired after eating, my stomach monopolizing my metabolism.

I definitely have times when I feel hot, or not. I have had all my life. But it don't correlate to eating except post-carbohydrate tiredness. (And carbs lead to more carbs, I find, for me.) OTOH, once I get sleepy, I'm pretty worthless until I get some sleep or my second wind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't normally eat breakfast. I'll eat lunch at 11:30 and dinner at 7. And I'll have no problems doing a personal triathlon at the gym in the morning before eating again. Maybe occasionally my stomach will get all growley. But its not like I'll pass out or hit a performance wall (on the physical wall side of things, I have bicycled into a car and swum into the wall while doing laps. I have yet to run into a wall... I'm sure that's a matter of time).

If anything, I certainly don't like eating far too much food. That will make me sick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't need to eat every 4 hours or something, but I do know that if I go all day without eating (like, 4 pm and haven't had lunch yet) I can become ridiculously irritable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

I boggle.
Metabolism.

I get headaches, cold sweats (if very bad) and mother of all hunger pains when I don't eat regularly enough. Like spear in the stomach pains.

What's with people not eating frequently enough, or that don't need to, I don't get it?
They also do not drink...wine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Low blood sugar.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/510468-why-do-i-get-nause...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
It’s all variation in metabolism, both between people and variation within one person, based on time of day, sleep, stress, diet, exertion, etc. I have hiked for 20 hours without eating, without any hunger pangs or headaches, while I may work for just a few hours sitting working on the computer and have strong hunger pains and low blood sugar headache. So even within myself, my body varies in its ability to tap my energy stores.

Knowing I have food or I can easily get food tends to make me hungrier, so there is a mind over matter aspect to it all as well. Things like cutting down to one meal a day, eating low calorie density/high fiber food, and fasting, also can likely have strong effects on your metabolism, blood sugar regulation, hunger sensation, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualcasual wrote:

Mmmmmm... coffeeeee beeeeens! <drools>

I skip dinner a lot which helps me when I want to loose weight, like now. 6'2" 210lbs and the doc tells me I need to drop 20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.