Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally finished painting AVP and of course 2nd edition came out. Do I need new card stats to play or can I use what I have with the first edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Lekkas
Greece
Karditsa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
W-Y base of operations: avp.prodosgames.com/downloads

1st edition (KS rules) have a great imbalance of forces. While playing, you will find that nearly 30% of the time the marines would win, 65% the preds, and 5% the aliens.

I strongly recommend using the 2nd ed rules. I have a chronic illness called "Wargaming" so I don't use the cards, instead I use the printed page with all the model's stats (one page to rule them all). However, you can download 2nd ed cards.

In case you are playing with just boxed game contents, you are good to go by just having a .pdf of 2nd ed. If you also own (or plan to own) add-ons, I recommend getting your hands on the cheap 2nd ed upgrade kit (mainly for the thin tokens).

Cheers,
K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are trash.

If you are going to go through the effort, you may as well find a better set of rules that are easy to pick up, fun to play, and makes thematic/logical sense.

I am actively developing an expansion for 7TV second edition that has potential. Check it out here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24733600#24733600
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougisitosan wrote:
The rules are trash.

In the sense that they are written poorly, or that you don´t like the gameplay / mechanics.
My 1st Ed. KS copy is gathering dust on my shelf and I´m not sure whether it´s worth to download the 2nd Edition rules from the Website and give this another Chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I went ahead and picked up the 2nd edition upgrade. It only cost me 12 dollars but still not worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Lekkas
Greece
Karditsa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:

In the sense that they are written poorly, or that you don´t like the gameplay / mechanics.

I'm probably the last person to give advice, 'cause I'm 100% biased on this since a) I love anything from this franchise and b) I was lucky enough to be one of the KS backers who worked on balancing out v2.0 (2.0 is a community driven project, made official). However, here it goes.

2.0 has fixed the balance between forces, and clarified a lot of dark areas. We used the time given to us to check the core of the game, which is balance. 1st ed was way off. 2.0 Models were calculated using a mathematical formula and alot of nurfs/buffs were applied. The rulebook was kept the way the initial designer had it, for two reasons: a) re-writting a book takes a lot of time, far longer than what we had available and b) having the same format allowed for people to notice the changes, instead of reading from scratch. And, in my opinion always, the most importance aspect of a game is its balance, so that the participants can achive the game's objective, which is always to have fun with your friends.

Any negativity on the rules is on the way the book is written, but I would advise on reading for yourself and trying to understand the rules (because the main objective is you having fun with your game, right?). After all, this is "teh internetz" and information is passed on without filtering. What I say might be utter crap.

At some point, I wish to do a how-to-play video to help out on understanding for those who have difficulties, however real life intervenes (and mostly work, since I have a demanding position) and I keep postponing. I have done one but it is not in english and I have not subtitled it. Mental note: perhaps that could be done more easily.

Cheers,
K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.