Subject: Solitaire questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. Do cratures in the "plants" niche use the Herbivore contest?
2. Wouldn't it be better that the cratures in the Herbivore niche use first the Carnivore Contest and then the Herbivore contest in case there is a carnivore niche filled? (herbivores here could be both hunters and hunted).
3. Raindance - who is Medea in 1, 2 and 3 player Mars/Venus game? Please tell exactly. Which cratures should be more than organs? The Medea card owner?
4. If playing a "solitaire" (or 2-3 Venus like game) on Earth, what consitutes a flatland? The seas? What is the highland? Grass and swamps?
5. Could we play with automated "plants" but with the usual Megafauna rules? (e.g. normal seas, unmodified events etc.) - I refer to the Solitaire game on Earth itself. If there is an indented variant for this which somehow missed the publication then please show me it.
6. Does the planet freeze if there is no water in the lowlands or both in the lowlands and the offshore "plant fishes"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden W├╝rtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
improove wrote:
1. Do creatures in the "plants" niche use the Herbivore contest?

Plants are controlled by the same player and one must become a Herbivore if two of them are in the Plant Trophic Level.

improove wrote:
2. Wouldn't it be better that the creatures in the Herbivore niche use first the Carnivore Contest and then the Herbivore contest in case there is a carnivore niche filled? (herbivores here could be both hunters and hunted).

The contests are resolved immediately. So if a creeple comes into an occupied carnivore level, a contest immediately endangers one of them. The same if it comes into an occupied Herbivore level, except the loser can trophic shift (which can generate another contest). I hope this answers your question.

improove wrote:
3. Raindance - who is Medea in 1, 2 and 3 player Mars/Venus game? Please tell exactly. Which creatures should be more than organs? The Medea card owner?

Per C1d, the player with the lowest skeletal number gets the Medea card to start with. In solitaire games, the single player is always the Medea.

improove wrote:
4. If playing a "solitaire" (or 2-3 Venus like game) on Earth, what constitutes a flatland? The seas? What is the highland? Grass and swamps?

Yes and yes.

improove wrote:
5. Could we play with automated "plants" but with the usual Megafauna rules? (e.g. normal seas, unmodified events etc.) - I refer to the Solitaire game on Earth itself. If there is an indented variant for this which somehow missed the publication then please show me it.

I did not playtest such a possibility, but would include it in the living rules if you playtest and submit a report.

improove wrote:
6. Does the planet freeze if there is no water in the lowlands or both in the lowlands and the offshore "plant fishes"?

The latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1a. Imagine the following situation: Mars solitaire game with 3 levels "plant", "herbivore", "carnivore". There is a green player occupying "plant" level with Cactus. Its newborn Archetype wants to enter the same hex (it has one green mutation). It cannot go to the herbivore niche since the shape does not match. It must go and compete with Cactus for the "plant" level. But there is going to be a contest (even among the same colour of species - Archetype and Cactus). I assume the contest is decided as a Herbivore contest (amount of green mutations matter etc.). Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
improove wrote:
1a. Imagine the following situation: Mars solitaire game with 3 levels "plant", "herbivore", "carnivore". There is a green player occupying "plant" level with Cactus. Its newborn Archetype wants to enter the same hex (it has one green mutation). It cannot go to the herbivore niche since the shape does not match. It must go and compete with Cactus for the "plant" level. But there is going to be a contest (even among the same colour of species - Archetype and Cactus). I assume the contest is decided as a Herbivore contest (amount of green mutations matter etc.). Am I right?
I thought green can only occupy plant and herbivore trophic levels and the player can only occupy herbivore and carnivore trophic levels?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

I thought green can only occupy plant and herbivore trophic levels and the player can only occupy herbivore and carnivore trophic levels?

You are right. The Plant can only occupy plant and herbivore levels and the player can only occupy herbivore and carnivore levels.
What makes us all confusing is that in the rules "herbivore contests are changed to be the same as carnivore contests" (K2a). Therefore the herbivore level has a carnivore contest and the carnivore level has again the carnivore contest. So we have two carnivore contest possibilitie - one on the herbivore level and one on the carnivore.
And yet I aksed for the contest on the plant level (there might be some to replace one Green plant shape with another Green plant shape) - I assume these plant contests (among green player only) follow the herbivore contest rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
improove wrote:
I assume these plant contests (among green player only) follow the herbivore contest rules.

I believe that you're correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.