Wallack Wallack
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all.

As many of you, I'm designing my own dungeon crawler, for me mostly but I will make it public once finished.

Anyways, I like rolling dice, I think most of us do, but sometimes we don't want it to be just rolling dice as full randomness with few decisions or tactics.

I took a look at Gloomhaven and I really like the idea of the cards but I also like the idea of rolling dice.

I came with an "idea" (if I can call it that because I was heavily inspired from gloomhaven) of having an action deck where you have some cards in your hand.

The idea is that the characters will have a number of attack actions based on the character sheet that they can use to perform attack rolling dice, as a "normal" or "common" dungeon crawler, but they will also have a hand that they can use to alter (or try to) the outcome. When you create the character you start with 10 and while you build it you get more and more but at the end you have a maximum so there is a bit of deckbuilding strategies. Not a lot because at level 10 you will want the level 10 cards anyways.

Well, I'm beating around the bush, anyways, you can use this cards to maybe, get +2 to the next attack, or heal some damage (spells will be action cards that you put there) and you also draw 1 (up to your maximum hand size) every turn. What I thought is that if, when the enemies attack, your hand is empty, you suffer penalties. If your deck is also empty (every card on the discard pile) you suffer more penalties when the monster attack. Also if when drawing a card there are no cards in your deck you suffer damage.

So the idea is that you have to manage this resourece. Resting will recover you some cards from the discard pile. Some "spells" might let you do this as well. Cards have to be use carefully because yeah, they are powerful and they can let you kill baddies faster but some events might make the dungeon "unrestable" so you might not be able to recover any cards so you have to be very careful.

In paper this sounds very cool, you have your traditional dice rolling and your ability use, but you also have some abilities that can be used only if you have them available (in your hand). Introduces also some sorts of deck building but not something very heavy.

What I think is that this might slow the game a lot, even tho is an interesting mechanic.

That's why I would like to know what other interesting or funny mechanics do you like in a dungeon crawler?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallack wrote:

That's why I would like to know what other interesting or funny mechanics do you like in a dungeon crawler?

Thanks!

Sounds interesting! Not dungeon crawlers per se, but I really like the approach that Flying Frog Productions takes to dice-rolling battles in Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game, and Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game. In all three, you can acquire cards that will alter dice rolls, and you can play those cards after the dice have been rolled. So you get these situations where the humans roll one thing, then the zombies roll something else, then the humans use a skill to alter a die, then the zombies play a response, and so on. It's a great way to mitigate what would otherwise be a very annoying luckfest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gnarlo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
LESS FILLING
badge
Guy Smiley
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Not dungeon crawlers per se, but I really like the approach that Flying Frog Productions takes to dice-rolling battles in Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game, and Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game. In all three, you can acquire cards that will alter dice rolls, and you can play those cards after the dice have been rolled. So you get these situations where the humans roll one thing, then the zombies roll something else, then the humans use a skill to alter a die, then the zombies play a response, and so on. It's a great way to mitigate what would otherwise be a very annoying luckfest.

Good mechanic. Dead Men Tell No Tales does a similar thing with their "Battle Readiness"; you can spend actions on increasing it, then decide whether or not to spend it after the dice are rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wallack Wallack
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was thinking on something similar with the action cards but didn't think about making some available after dice are rolled which I will definitely do now!

Also I will probably add some sort of environmental effects that might don't let you play action cards or just forbid you to play "after dice are rolled" cards or some sort of mechanic so that sometimes, bad luck screw you!

Hoping to hear about more mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Massive Darkness has some of my favorite mechanics in a dungeon crawler. Because dice have symbols in addition to hits and the symbols enable special actions. But the goofiest element is there are some hitback effects like a spiked shield where it is possible to wipe the monsters if they hit you.

If special symbols were combined with the hand management that could be a lot of fun. Maybe you hold effect cards for 1 special and 2 specials, then wait on the outcome to decide which to use. Lots of room to add flavor into those that way like tripping, hamstringing, disarming, enviscerating cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wallack Wallack
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Corsaire wrote:
Massive Darkness has some of my favorite mechanics in a dungeon crawler. Because dice have symbols in addition to hits and the symbols enable special actions. But the goofiest element is there are some hitback effects like a spiked shield where it is possible to wipe the monsters if they hit you.

If special symbols were combined with the hand management that could be a lot of fun. Maybe you hold effect cards for 1 special and 2 specials, then wait on the outcome to decide which to use. Lots of room to add flavor into those that way like tripping, hamstringing, disarming, enviscerating cards...

That looks nice. I'm using only D6 tho so no special symbols because I want it to be accessible by anyone.

But for example, I have one skill, Critical Hit, that allows you to perform critical hits on a 6 (you then roll on a table to see the effect).

However this skill comes with 2 of those cards that I explained before, one to force a 6 and one to choose the result on the critical table, so you could save them to combo them for example.

But you have to be careful because not having cards is another way to get damaged.

And the spiked shield, I had that in mind since I played Heroes of Might and Magic 2 !! (it gave attack and defense skill tho)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, action deck. See if you can further challenge yourself by eliminating dice completely.

How about hit locations? A critical hit deck? Different types of attacks? Cards can do this *much* better than dice, though an efficient way to do it may be something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wallack Wallack
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Yeah, action deck. See if you can further challenge yourself by eliminating dice completely.

How about hit locations? A critical hit deck? Different types of attacks? Cards can do this *much* better than dice, though an efficient way to do it may be something else.

I don't want to elimiate dice completely. I want a balance of dice and cards. Cards that might alter the results of the dice or give you modifiers.

A deck for hit locations or something similar it was something I thought about, I just don't want to have the game lasting 2 hours for 1 fight.

Also thought about the critical hit deck, for now is a simple table, as to deal critical hits you need a skill, but might convert it into a deck if I think of alot of outcomes.

I know that gloomhaven removed the dice completely but honestly I want dice, feels like without them replayability is not the same, I don't know, I want the randomness of the dice, and then having cards or abilities to alter those results or reduce the randomness but I think dice are needed in a dungeon crawler to some extent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wallack Wallack
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also, one thing that was suggested in the other thread. I want the encounters to be random, 1d6 skeletons for example, but instead I will make a 1d6 deck that for 2 players will have less 6 and more 1 than for 4 players so at the end of the dungeon the average is always the same for 2 players and the same for 4 players, making it fun and random a the same time but not soooo random.

But the thing is that lets me create skills around that deck, like draw 5 and reorder them, draw 2 and choose 1 etc etc, that makes a scout class more viable if there is actually a scout mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.