Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Tessmann
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy, we had a few questions after our first game;

One of our players had the Blood Drinker and fought against the Goblin Queen, and both have "Before Battle" effects. Which happens first? (we let the player choose, because that seemed to be the general rule of thumb)

Is the only way to proc the 3+ cards bonus from Butterfly cards by drawing a WoW, not using it in a fight (by fighting a 2+ monster) and then drawing it again and generating more Butterflies while having at least 1 in your hand?

Is the yellow meeple meant for any purpose other than luls / a 7th Champion figure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwika
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how would you have 2 "Before Battle" abilities. I thought Player Cards have only "Village" or "Dungeon" abilities (or "Village or Dungeon" of course), while Monsters have "Before Battle". And you only fight one monster at a time, so from where the second "Before Battle" comes from"?
On the other hand, we only played the first scenario from the questbook for now so maybe there are other cards in the future with other abilities.

As you're asking about specific cards combination, it would help if you include photos of the cards (you can always add photos to your personal galery, it doesn't require any approval). That would make it possible to answer your question without the need of taking the game out of the shelf and finding the cards you mentioned.

Without seeing the cards, the only thing I think of is that you took Monsters into your deck instead of just destroying them.

In Thunderstone Advance that would be the way to play, as Monsters usually gave you "Spoils" abilities and they gave you the points at the end of the game. But in Thunderstone Quest I think we play differently. We destroy Monsters and gain the wood experience tokens (plus any gears or treasures). Then you don't add the Monster to your deck, instead you put the monster aside (like all other destroyed cards). At least this is the way we played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Reese
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Dainslaif wrote:

One of our players had the Blood Drinker and fought against the Goblin Queen, and both have "Before Battle" effects. Which happens first? (we let the player choose, because that seemed to be the general rule of thumb)

You played it correctly, the player chooses.

Quote:
Is the only way to proc the 3+ cards bonus from Butterfly cards by drawing a WoW, not using it in a fight (by fighting a 2+ monster) and then drawing it again and generating more Butterflies while having at least 1 in your hand?

I’m sorry, I don’t follow.

Quote:
Is the yellow meeple meant for any purpose other than luls / a 7th Champion figure?

The Yellow Meeple is here to save us all! He is the Hero that Thunderstone Keep both wants and needs!

(He was a Kickstarter bonus and has no direct impact/rules on the game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ludwika wrote:
I wonder how would you have 2 "Before Battle" abilities. I thought Player Cards have only "Village" or "Dungeon" abilities (or "Village or Dungeon" of course), while Monsters have "Before Battle". And you only fight one monster at a time, so from where the second "Before Battle" comes from"?

This is not correct (also interestingly was not true in Thunderstone Advance). Before and after battle abilities can be on any card. The key thing is that they are mandatory. It is true that they are usually on monsters, but not always.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tessmann
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ludwika wrote:
On the other hand, we only played the first scenario from the questbook for now so maybe there are other cards in the future with other abilities.

As you're asking about specific cards combination, it would help if you include photos of the cards (you can always add photos to your personal galery, it doesn't require any approval). That would make it possible to answer your question without the need of taking the game out of the shelf and finding the cards you mentioned.

The card in question is Blood Drinker, a legendary sword. You only get it by achieving a specific Side Mission, which is why you haven't seen it.

I don't have the cards handy to take a picture, but the two "Before Combat" abilities are;

Blood Drinker: Either take two wounds or destroy a hero.
Goblin Queen: Discard all weapons.

The Blood Drinker must be wielded in order to defeat a monster, so I was asking to determine if I could let the Goblin Queen discard the Blood Drinker and avoid taking the wounds, or if I take the two wounds, and then have to discard it anyways. Obviously, one is far worse than the other.

AEGBryan wrote:
Dainslaif wrote:

Perfect, thanks!

AEGBryan wrote:
Dainslaif wrote:

I went back and re-read Butterflies and I think I figured out where the confusion came from - we were trying to figure out how it would ever be possible to have 3 butterflies in your hand for the "discard all Butterflies and draw an equal number of cards" effect, but I just noticed it is a Dungeon ability and not a Before Combat one. The upshot is you do not HAVE to activate Butterflies if they're in your hand, making it possible to have a bunch in your deck and draw 3+ at a later time if you generate more Butterflies with the Wand of Wonder. Right?

AEGBryan wrote:
Dainslaif wrote:

The Yellow Meeple is here to save us all! He is the Hero that Thunderstone Keep both wants and needs!

Great, thanks!

Since you and Mark are in the thread I figure I'll also mention that the 3 of us had played TS:A a couple times and felt it had a number of rough edges between items and leveling curve, and TS:Q addressed all of them. We had a lot of fun on our first playthrough, and I look forward to opening the next quest packs and giving them a go. The more I experience, the more I notice the little design changes that work elegantly.

You guys did a really great job on this iteration of the game. I hope this one sticks around a while. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tessmann
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question; you can use a potion as soon as it's bought from the Bazaar space in town, but can you use it immediately if it's bought with the Rogue's Spoils ability that lets you buy a gear token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dainslaif wrote:
ludwika wrote:

The card in question is Blood Drinker, a legendary sword. You only get it by achieving a specific Side Mission, which is why you haven't seen it.

I don't have the cards handy to take a picture, but the two "Before Combat" abilities are;

Blood Drinker: Either take two wounds or destroy a hero.
Goblin Queen: Discard all weapons.

The Blood Drinker must be wielded in order to defeat a monster, so I was asking to determine if I could let the Goblin Queen discard the Blood Drinker and avoid taking the wounds, or if I take the two wounds, and then have to discard it anyways. Obviously, one is far worse than the other.

AEGBryan wrote:
Dainslaif wrote:

Perfect, thanks!

AEGBryan wrote:
Dainslaif wrote:

I went back and re-read Butterflies and I think I figured out where the confusion came from - we were trying to figure out how it would ever be possible to have 3 butterflies in your hand for the "discard all Butterflies and draw an equal number of cards" effect, but I just noticed it is a Dungeon ability and not a Before Combat one. The upshot is you do not HAVE to activate Butterflies if they're in your hand, making it possible to have a bunch in your deck and draw 3+ at a later time if you generate more Butterflies with the Wand of Wonder. Right?

AEGBryan wrote:
Dainslaif wrote:

Great, thanks!

Since you and Mark are in the thread I figure I'll also mention that the 3 of us had played TS:A a couple times and felt it had a number of rough edges between items and leveling curve, and TS:Q addressed all of them. We had a lot of fun on our first playthrough, and I look forward to opening the next quest packs and giving them a go. The more I experience, the more I notice the little design changes that work elegantly.

You guys did a really great job on this iteration of the game. I hope this one sticks around a while. :-)

Hmm... maybe I missed something, but why would you go to a room to fight a monster which you aren’t assured of beating? All info is known, unless there is an ability I am unaware of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tessmann
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afrag wrote:
Hmm... maybe I missed something, but why would you go to a room to fight a monster which you aren’t assured of beating? All info is known, unless there is an ability I am unaware of.

I was going to kill it either way, the only question is how many wounds I take as a result of the fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dainslaif wrote:
One more question; you can use a potion as soon as it's bought from the Bazaar space in town, but can you use it immediately if it's bought with the Rogue's Spoils ability that lets you buy a gear token?

No, only if you visit the bazaar.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
afrag wrote:

As you progress through you will find more and more monsters that you cannot be 100% sure of defeating. But even in quest 1, the throne room causes you to discard a random card, so you could occasionally end up not being able to kill the monster there as a result.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tessmann
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Har1equin wrote:
Dainslaif wrote:

No, only if you visit the bazaar.

Mark

Cool, thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.