Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bidding for turn order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Doyle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all,

My reading of the rules is that anyone who has made first contact (connected to another player or borg through spacelanes) bids for turn order in one round of bidding. This is explained as influencing galactic polotics.

Does this make sense thematically if you have 4 players (A-D) who have all made first contact with one other player (A has met B, C has met D)?

Would it not make more sense if you can only bid against people who you have made contact? So in this situation there are two separate bidding wars and then maybe two random turn order cards are given out to see which connected segment goes first? Or maybe the segments bid to see who goes first (ie the total of what A and B bid against each other against C and D's total). Maybe if A+B wins the bidding but they can't agree if they want to go first or second then it reverts to random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Your reading of the rules is correct, and while I understand what you're saying in the last paragraph, I just don't see that it's really necessary. The first contact rule is really only there to discourage turtling, as far as I can tell. You need to link up to somebody or they'll keep going ahead of you (if you even care).

For the most part, in my experience people don't care too much about turn order until somebody is powerful enough to start attacking others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also pointless from the point of view that you can't influence someone you are not connected to.

The suggested fracturing of turn order is not needed, but I can certainly see it as a house rule that would work if the group wants to do it like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.