Tom Stasiak
Poland
Tuszyn
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Jim was anxious to go. 
They learned about the item cache yesterday from a syndicate member. The guy was stone dead terrified, Jim hadn’t even touched him.
Beam had even been polite, in her own sinister way. I guess they had a reputation. Good for him, he got away lightly.
Jim wondered if it was a good idea. Things may become a bit tense with the syndicate sometime soon.
The merchandise might not be there for long. The item was located in the ancient district.

Jim was anxious to go.

Here is the starting character setup for Jim & Beam.
Around the edge of the character portrait is the mood track of the character. This duo has some serious potential for aggression. We will explore the mood mechanics in future previews.

The columns on the right represent action sets a character can take by spending an action point. 
Every turn you may add one action token to a column, building a hero with custom action sets that accommodate your strategy and current needs.

We will add a 'manipulate' action to the column with movement.

This action represents basic physical activities, like manipulating the environment, operating basic gear, and searching the area.

Now let’s activate that action column. We’ll receive 3 movement and 1 manipulate.

With these actions we can reach the cache and pick up the resource this turn. A random workshop item, in this case. The token is removed and a workshop item card is drawn. Spending all the actions concludes the turn.
The developed action column will be available for use in future turns and rounds.

Beam enthusiastically ran down and tore the lid off with a grin. But her expression froze in a mix of anger and disappointment.
She pulled out a cigarette and lit it.
No shinies this time. Just useless engineering junk. All that hassle for nothing. Jim leaned above Beam and looked down on the item in the stash.

No shinies. No bananas. But he kinda liked it anyway.

Please like us on social media:

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/crisisatsteamfall/
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/BDGTom
Our new Kickstarter account:
https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/bdg?ref=bggforums

REVIEWERS WANTED
We will send out the review prototypes by the end of February.
Anyone who runs a YouTube channel or writes reviews regularly may ask for a prototype to review or preview before the Kickstarter campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
Offering reviews, rulebooks, editing, playtesting, and Polish translation. PM me for details.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, I am so excited for this! You guys don't know how excited I am. Jim & Beam are my characters, I've played them to the point of breaking. They're just so much fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stasiak
Poland
Tuszyn
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Folks who have seen the game at SPIEL will recognize that the character board is evolved.

Starting from short and simple turns, players will now build up towards more complex actions. This significantly improved the game's pacing.

Let me know if you have any questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My oh my the theme is strong with this one!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will DEFINITELY be selling some of my games to buy this one! Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Bronson

Kansas City
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you craft your actions throughout the game, adding more utility... but it seems like this would be pretty brain-burny until you know the game- I'm looking at the action slots and thinking "well, I understand how crafting this action tactically was a good idea. But how do I know if it's balanced strategically? Surely next turn I may want two actions that include movement, rather than one..."

But I'm intrigued!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
Offering reviews, rulebooks, editing, playtesting, and Polish translation. PM me for details.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esarge wrote:
So you craft your actions throughout the game, adding more utility... but it seems like this would be pretty brain-burny until you know the game- I'm looking at the action slots and thinking "well, I understand how crafting this action tactically was a good idea. But how do I know if it's balanced strategically? Surely next turn I may want two actions that include movement, rather than one..."

But I'm intrigued!

Hi Rock,

Since you're only adding a single action per turn, you shouldn't need to think that far ahead. Especially since two of the columns can be used twice! But yes, as you get better at the game you'll have a better knowledge of how to build your columns to really help out the strategy you're going for.

A lot of the challenge with this game is working with what you've got available. You'll need to have a good knowledge of your options each turn. But don't worry, there are ways to help you get that missing action you desperately need! For example, the Iron Hammer shown above can be used to give you a Violence action (the gun symbol).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the actions ever get removed or reset?
If not, does it mean we expect games to play in a few rounds, or heroes to become extremely powerful action machines as they go?
This mechanism seems very original to me. I feel I'm going to like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stasiak
Poland
Tuszyn
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
esarge wrote:

But I'm intrigued!

What I noticed is this mechanic made the game easier for players not so keen on long term predictions or for inexperienced players, because they could easily create actions they wanted to do in their current turn and it made the overall experience smoother for them.

For experienced players however it created a nice depth, as they were able to calculate the immediate gain vs potential long term benefit.

Anyway, each character has a different starting configuration and their pre defined pool of tokens, but always starts with 3 movement in the action column that can be used twice. This is to prevent players from creating characters that can become stuck in some areas : P

Quote:
Do the actions ever get removed or reset?
If not, does it mean we expect games to play in a few rounds, or heroes to become extremely powerful action machines as they go?
This mechanism seems very original to me. I feel I'm going to like it!

The are no effects in game that currently mess with action tokens, but this idea has potential.
There game lasts 3 rounds, 3 action points each. So each player will place 9 action cubes during the entire game. This seems like little, but in the end it feels like a complete and eventful game, about 30mins per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ph Cr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
The iron hammer just made this an instant back laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.