Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » Rules

Subject: 3 little questions about the Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernd Krause
Germany
Sulzbach-Rosenberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
1) Who starts the game? The lowest or highest honor Clan? I read both options.. but which one is correct?

2) Someone wrote you fight only in a province if there´s another NOT ALLIED Clan. Do you fight your allied Clan? I thought you have to fight but no allied soldiers get killed.

3) If I´m allied to Clan 2 and betray Clan 3 & 4.. does this brake my allience to Clan 2 too?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tonberry1980 wrote:
1) Who starts the game? The lowest or highest honor Clan? I read both options.. but which one is correct?

2) Someone wrote you fight only in a province if there´s another NOT ALLIED Clan. Do you fight your allied Clan? I thought you have to fight but no allied soldiers get killed.

3) If I´m allied to Clan 2 and betray Clan 3 & 4.. does this brake my allience to Clan 2 too?


1)lowest honor number is top of the honor rank, and goes first.

2) if there are only allies in a war province there is no battle, and the clan w/ most force takes the tile

3) the betray mandate ends any alliance you are in, regardless of whose figures you replace
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Krause
Germany
Sulzbach-Rosenberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
1) Lowest honor number on clan sheet = highest honor clan (and first/top on rank)?

2) You don´t have to bid for war advantages too?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you share a Province with an Allied clan there is no battle. Highest Force takes the token with Honour breaking ties. No bidding takes place, no one kills them selves, no hostages are taken, no one dies, the poets have no story to tell.

However if another Clan shows up there will be a fight and every Clan present will then be involved. During the battle every Clan will bid on war advantages and whoever wins can commit Seppuku, take Hostages, add Ronin and pay for poets.

If you can take a hostage you can take an Allied figure hostage without penalty (no loss of Honour, no breaking of alliance).

Your Ally winning the Ronin vote will stop you using your Ronin. And vice versa.

At the end every Clan present calculates their Force and there is only one winner. The winner will kill any remaining figures not belonging to an Ally. Losing Ally figures just sit there untouched.

You can’t kill an Allied figure just because you want to because you have a card that awards points for doing so. Even if your Ally wants you to kill him because he gets points you can’t.

Similarly your Ally winning the battle does not count as you winning. So you may have upgrades that win you points for killing enemies but you didn’t kill them, your Ally did. And if you gets points for winning a war token, you didn’t win one, your Ally did.

Finally if you win and have to distribute your money amongst the losers, that includes your Ally. They lost.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes.
Quote:
Rulebook, page 8, Setup - Prepare Your Clan
...
The Clan with the lowest-numbered Starting Honor Rank will be the first to play.
...
Your other Clan marker is placed on the Honor Track. The slot on which it’s placed depends on your Clan’s Starting Honor Rank. The Clan with the lowestnumbered Rank goes on the top slot.


2) No battle takes place, highest Force just takes the war province token
Quote:
Rulebook, page 21, War Phase
If only 2 Allied players have Force in the Province, no Battle takes place. The player with the most Force in the Province simply takes the corresponding War Province token and places it, faceup, next to their Clan screen. As always, if there’s a tie, the tied player with the highest Honor is considered to have the most Force in the Province.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
And think of the Clan Honour numbers as ranks rather than a rating of 1 - 10.

So the Lotus are 3rd in Honour amd thus more honourable than the Dragonfly who are 5th in Honour who are better than the Bonsai whobare 7th place in Honour.

So the turn order in that game would be Lotus - Dragofly - Bonsai
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Krause
Germany
Sulzbach-Rosenberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
So Honor Number 1 Clan is the highest Honor Clan.
That´s really confusing but we already played that way.
So you mean the highest Honor Clan begins the game.

Perhaps that´s why I read the clan with lowest xxxxx goes
first... perhabs they meant honor number. Really confusing
for starters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is is slightly odd yes, particularly coming from an RPG background where everything counts up.

But yes, the Clan with Honour 1 is the most honourable Clan and will always go first. Lowest Honour number is the highest Honour Rank.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian D
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If it helps, you can think of the numbers as marking the clans starting place on the honor track. Koi (1) starts in 1st place. Sun starts in 2nd place, Lotus in 3rd, etc. Once you've done that, slide clan tokens up to eliminate any missing players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Leister
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bewulf wrote:

2) No battle takes place, highest Force just takes the war province token
Quote:
Rulebook, page 21, War Phase
If only 2 Allied players have Force in the Province, no Battle takes place. The player with the most Force in the Province simply takes the corresponding War Province token and places it, faceup, next to their Clan screen. As always, if there’s a tie, the tied player with the highest Honor is considered to have the most Force in the Province.


And to be clear, because even with this explanation it was still asked...

If only allies are in a province, because no battle happens, the monsters (and other season cards) that have 'at the beginning of battle...' don't have there abilities triggered.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Since there is no battle "At the start of this battle ..."-abilities do not trigger.

"At the start of war"-abilities, like Sunakake-Baba taking a Bushi or Shinto hostage, would still happen even if there is no battle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua F

New Hampshire
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
tonberry1980 wrote:
So Honor Number 1 Clan is the highest Honor Clan.
That´s really confusing but we already played that way.
So you mean the highest Honor Clan begins the game.

Perhaps that´s why I read the clan with lowest xxxxx goes
first... perhabs they meant honor number. Really confusing
for starters.


You're not alone, this tripped us up more than it perhaps should have for the first couple of games. Once we started looking at it as a ranking system vs. a score it was fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.