Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I really really enjoyed my only play of Dark Moon, and am looking forward to playing it again. This, despite being the one traitor in a group of 4, and being suspected (for no good reason) from the beginning.... It led to a little tension and then a sort of futile last quarter or third of the game. I'm assuming it will be better with 5 players and 2 traitors. And I really am looking forward to trying this some more.

However, I'm curious for your opinions on other games of this sort. Does Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game do a better job of helping the traitor hide, and keeping folks guessing? I feel like it might because you're not just lying about your die results; everyone is doing a secret objective, and it could make lots of people look sketchy. Is it too long, though? Dark Moon was really quick and fun....

What are some other options? Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game is unappealing, because I know nothing about the IP and it seems REALLY long (from what I've heard -- I could be wrong).

I don't know. What should I look into? Should I just try Dark Moon with more folks (and, perhaps, the new expansion)? Should I try Dead of Winter? Some other option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doudman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing about the IP for Battlestar Galactica but can say I did enjoy the game quite a bit and the traitors can hide themselves well. What adds tension is that there may not be any traitors in the first half. New allegiance cards are dealt about halfway through the game and after we finished a game, we talked and all the Cylon cards (traitors) were dealt out for the second half. It was really tense since we could deduce that everyone was human in the first half which left the possibilities wide open.

My only complaint is one you mentioned: it takes a long time to play. I'd say Dark Moon kinda fulfills that same hidden traitor(s), sci-fi feel but not as deep or immersive but much quicker to play. If you are interested in quicker, simpler games I'd recommend checking out Deception Murder Hong Kong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO Dead of Winter is far superior to BSG. BSG is a very long game, and unless you are playing with very experienced players the game is seriously imbalanced in favor of the traitor. I half-jokingly say that BSG is a four hour game that is won or lost when the role cards are dealt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
4 player Dark Moon is the worst player count. I will not play it 4 player.
IMO, 5, then 3, then 7, then 6 is the order of most fun to least. I have not had any trouble staying hidden in Dark Moon, rolling the dice behind a shield gives plenty of plausible deniability. Just don't submit a negative die every turn.

BSG, on the other hand, is very hard to sabotage anything without performing a soft reveal. And it is entirely too long of a game for what it is.

Dead of Winter - I have never been a traitor, but have noticed it's easy for them to stay hidden. But, I feel DoW is too long for what it is too.

I am really looking forward to Warehouse 13: The Board Game. It looks like a slightly heavier, slightly longer Dark Moon, mechanics-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good games that implement the traitor mechanism well:

Shadows over Camelot - the game that made traitors cool in co-ops

Saboteur - much more depth to this little game than meets the eye.

Room 25 - The cult-classic movie The Cube in board game format, basically. It plays fully cooperatively, but shines when played with one or more traitors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wreadsiii wrote:
Some good games that implement the traitor mechanism well:

Shadows over Camelot - the game that made traitors cool in co-ops

Saboteur - much more depth to this little game than meets the eye.

Room 25 - The cult-classic movie The Cube in board game format, basically. It plays fully cooperatively, but shines when played with one or more traitors.

+1 Saboteur and Room 25

Saboteur is a great little card game which is really cheap but to get more for your money, you can get Saboteur (compilation editions) for about the same cost and you can play either Sab 1 or Sab 2 which provides much more variety.

We love room 25 too as a bit of a puzzle too and can be played fully competitive as well as co-op and hidden traitor. I would suggest getting Room 25: Season 2 expansion along with it as makes it a much better game by adding unique character abilities and tonnes more content.

I personally don't like camelot as not much game to it other than working out who's traitor but many others like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
Should I just try Dark Moon with more folks (and, perhaps, the new expansion)? Should I try Dead of Winter? Some other option?
I think you should give Dark Moon another chance at a different player count first.

To be honest I don't very much enjoy the traitor aspect of Dead of Winter. It's a better game as a full co-op.

BSG may be long but we always have loads of fun playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
You should take a look at The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31

BSG has the best implementation of the traitor aspect, but is really long. I found Dead of Winter quite dull compared to BSG. snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
IMO, 5, then 3, then 7, then 6 is the order of most fun to least. I have not had any trouble staying hidden in Dark Moon, rolling the dice behind a shield gives plenty of plausible deniability. Just don't submit a negative die every turn.

BSG, on the other hand, is very hard to sabotage anything without performing a soft reveal. And it is entirely too long of a game for what it is.

Dead of Winter - I have never been a traitor, but have noticed it's easy for them to stay hidden. But, I feel DoW is too long for what it is too.

I am really looking forward to Warehouse 13: The Board Game. It looks like a slightly heavier, slightly longer Dark Moon, mechanics-wise.

I meant to ask, but why is 3 so good, in your opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
ampoliros wrote:

I meant to ask, but why is 3 so good, in your opinion?

With 6 and 7 players, the game can be over before everyone gets 2 turns. This is the only reason I rate 3 player higher.

I have had 3 player games that were every bit as fun as 5 player games, but there is a small chance you get a dud of a game if the infected player doesn't have a good opening to pounce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kerns
United States
McKinney
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the other games but I would recommend the Dark Moon expansion. I enjoy it very much. The Company man aspect adds a lot to to the game in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice is Right wrote:
IMO Dead of Winter is far superior to BSG. BSG is a very long game, and unless you are playing with very experienced players the game is seriously imbalanced in favor of the traitor. I half-jokingly say that BSG is a four hour game that is won or lost when the role cards are dealt.

I find quite the opposite. My experience with BSG has been about 50/50 wins for the Cylons, but the betrayer almost always wins DoW if present. The game seems to be balanced around being difficult with or without a traitor, so the presence of a traitor really tips it over the edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Wulf
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dark Moon is definitely better with five or more players. I second the suggestion for Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. In our group, Deception makes it to the table three times as often as Dark Moon. Even through Deception is much less complex than Dark Moon, I like the strategy better (trying to give and figure out clues for the murder weapon and key evidence).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
mattkk wrote:
I haven't played the other games but I would recommend the Dark Moon expansion. I enjoy it very much. The Company man aspect adds a lot to to the game in my opinion.

I wonder if the expansion changed much since I playtested it. The group I played with all love Dark Moon, we were some of the heaviest playtesters of the base game. None of us liked the expansion at all. We found that it was far too easy for the Company Man to win every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice is Right wrote:

+1. I have yet to see the humans win. The person who owns it is always a Cylon. There was one game where I was the Cylon but the roles got screwed up so I was forced to be a human after the third Cylon role was revealed. I've grown to like DoW and think it is by far the better game. The base game is hard enough to where the traitor and play undetected rather easily. Long Night is a solid expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Dice is Right wrote:

+1. I have yet to see the humans win. The person who owns it is always a Cylon. There was one game where I was the Cylon but the roles got screwed up so I was forced to be a human after the third Cylon role was revealed. I've grown to like DoW and think it is by far the better game. The base game is hard enough to where the traitor and play undetected rather easily. Long Night is a solid expansion.

You like DoW better than BSG; but where does Dark Moon fall in the mix?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
matthean wrote:
Dice is Right wrote:

You like DoW better than BSG; but where does Dark Moon fall in the mix?

I have yet to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.