Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

HOPE» Forums » Rules

Subject: allowed to terraform when using general polarization or additional movement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hessel Huijser
msg tools
When we played the game this week, we were a bit confused about the added movement from the bonus tokens or upgrades, since it states "you keep these bonus tokens and may use them at any time during your turn." in the rules there is a clear structure: first you move > then you terraform > then you check medals > then you move the regression marker.

Since you can play these tokens anytime during your turn are you allowed to play it after you terraform (or fill up your hand)? And does this mean that you can also terraform a second time (with the acquired cards you just got)?

We decided it made it a lot less complex if you played the added movement or general polarization during your movement phase of your turn and thus could only use the cards you had at the beginning.

either way general polarization seems to include that you are allowed to terraform the dimension you came from and ended on (the other one you can terraform during your normal navigate action)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gail Maser
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also considered it was more logical that those token have to be used before you put your used technology cards into the tech board.

It avoids the temptation to use the new tech card that you (in fact) didn't earn yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Loup Castaigne
France
Tignieu
Rhône-Alpes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voicesofvictory wrote:

either way general polarization seems to include that you are allowed to terraform the dimension you came from and ended on (the other one you can terraform during your normal navigate action)

Page 13 about general polarization: "This immediately affects all players. The active player decides wether it will go clockwise or counterclockwise. It can be done at any time during the navigation. The Navigation Levers are not reactivated."
Nothing being said about terraforming, I do not think it is allowed

My 2 cents worth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Loup Castaigne
France
Tignieu
Rhône-Alpes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voicesofvictory wrote:
Since you can play these tokens anytime during your turn are you allowed to play it after you terraform (or fill up your hand)?

Yes I think you can refill your hand and use those cards to terraform. For instance you could use your draw 2 cards token before any movement.

Voicesofvictory wrote:
And does this mean that you can also terraform a second time (with the acquired cards you just got)?

I don't think so. As for general polarisation, the extra move with the token is limited to " navigate your Spaceship or Polarize. If you navigate, you are restricted to your remaining navigation options." Nothing about terraforming for the additional movement token. I interpret in a different way the "Upgrade" which stated "You may now immediately take 1 additional movement action for this turn (only). As usual, this can be a Spaceship navigation or a polarization." For this one I think terraforming is OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hessel Huijser
msg tools
jloupc wrote:
Voicesofvictory wrote:

Page 13 about general polarization: "This immediately affects all players. The active player decides wether it will go clockwise or counterclockwise. It can be done at any time during the navigation. The Navigation Levers are not reactivated."
Nothing being said about terraforming, I do not think it is allowed

My 2 cents worth

While the rules do not state this at that particular point, the rules are clear that you are allowed to terraform along your whole navigation path. if you would use a token to extent your movement path by moving a second time (either with a navigate action or a general polarization) before terraforming, that would mean you are allowed to terraform along the whole path. so you would have a sequence of : navigate > navigate > terraform OR navigate > polarize > terraform OR polarize > navigate > terraform. In my opinion you should be allowed to terraform the planets you visited during your first movement action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hessel Huijser
msg tools
jloupc wrote:
Voicesofvictory wrote:
Since you can play these tokens anytime during your turn are you allowed to play it after you terraform (or fill up your hand)?

Yes I think you can refill your hand and use those cards to terraform. For instance you could use your draw 2 cards token before any movement.

My question refered to the bonus tokens of additional movement and general polarization, not the two extra cards. So my question is, does a movement action trigger a new terraforming action and can your turn consist of: movement > terraform (and get cards)> movement trough tokens > terraform (with the cards acquired from first terraforming). Nonetheless I do agree with you about the usage of the cards from the card bonus token for terraforming

jloupc wrote:
Voicesofvictory wrote:
And does this mean that you can also terraform a second time (with the acquired cards you just got)?

I don't think so. As for general polarisation, the extra move with the token is limited to " navigate your Spaceship or Polarize. If you navigate, you are restricted to your remaining navigation options." Nothing about terraforming for the additional movement token. I interpret in a different way the "Upgrade" which stated "You may now immediately take 1 additional movement action for this turn (only). As usual, this can be a Spaceship navigation or a polarization." For this one I think terraforming is OK.

I don't see a difference in the usage of a bonus token with an additional movement or an additional movement from an upgrade. the rules for the token say: "take an additional movement action"
and for the upgrade: "take 1 additional movement action"
if these can mean two different things than I'm out, haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gail Maser
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it really depends on the timing of replenishment vs movement

I've asked Simon of Morning games but he didn't come back to me yet.

I created a topic on this, with suggestion to clarify a bit the rules and align the Help card:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1949634/timing-additional-m...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Urbain
msg tools
Hello everyone.

Here’s some answers :

- You can definitely pass through a bonus token that allows you to draw two technology cards and then use these technology cards to terraform. Because the rules specify that you first moves then you terraform the planet you pass through during your turn.

- If you use the « general polarization » token then the same usual rule apply which means you have to choose which dimension you want to terraform during your turn, you cannot do both.

- Concerning the questions about the « bonus movements ». Every turn works the same way (Moving - Terraforming …), the turn sequence doesn’t change if you are using a bonus movements (Moving + Moving - Terraforming…). You always move first no matter how many movement you use and then you terraform.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Simon
Morning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gail Maser
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks Simon, that clarifies.

Therefore, to summarize your clarifications on both posts:

all the movement (primary plus additional) need to be performed in a row (including polarization movements)

then you terraform where you want along the movement you performed this turn

then you replenish the technologies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.