Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
For those who have played the base game, but not to death, do the added options in the expansion affect the speed of the game?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dennis
Wales
Llanon
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have played the base game about 6 times and played it with the expansion once. Because we were learning the new rules it took longer but I don’t feel that it should change the game length once we are familiar with it as it is still played over 9 ‘seasons’

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Wisconsin Rapids
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play the exact same number of actions per round so it should be exactly the same playtime. The only reason it might take longer is if players have AP because they're presented with a few extra action spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nāt
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
do the added options in the expansion affect the speed of the game?

I've played exclusively solo; 2 times without expansion, 4 with.

I don't think any of the new bits add to or shave off time from the game length. The expansion introduces mostly subtle additions that provide different ways to achieve the same core goals of the base game. So unless people really suffer from AP, it should feel like the same old game with a slightly broader (and more fun!) smorgasbord of actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmb
The first time I set it up with T&T for solo it sat on my table for 2 days as I pondered move 1. :-)

Once I got that first worker down though it flowed along at about the same pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
[...] do the added options in the expansion affect the speed of the game?

Thanks.

Sure. The game now takes longer to set up than to actually play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doppel Keks
msg tools
DaMilli wrote:
Sure. The game now takes longer to set up than to actually play!

We use a "screw box" with 12 small boxes from the "home depot" for all the small stuff. it just fits in with the rest, and we got the feel we halved the time necessary to set up. (and we dont take ALL clothes out of the bags)
that was a big help.

The gameplay itself takes generally about the same, maybe a bit longer because you have more options. (the first 2 games of course take a lot longer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few times now and I haven't noticed much of an increase in playtime. I don't think the new additions are difficult to figure out/implement into a strategy.

The a few things that may add a little time to game length, one is reviewing the new buildings. The other has to do with boats and trading. If you have boats then the harvest round could take a bit longer as you decide what if anything you want to trade for. Lastly you may have the ability to spend two Of the upgraded tea to take a double action.

All in all I can't see any of these additions making a noticeable impact on game length; if I were to guess I think our 2p games go about 90 minutes (which includes set up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.