Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools

I'm so confused...

Actually I think I just understood... lol

If the actual level is 2 of the map I am on, and I am standing on a level 1 tile. I guess the monster is going on the level 2 tile.

BTW: Why is this rule here? What is its purpose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My snarky answer is no one should ever play Story mode, so don't worry about it.

The real answer is that levels in Story mode and 'Normal' mode (ie playing missions as one-offs) work slightly differently. In story mode, the game starts at the level corresponding to the highest level skill level any hero has purchased. So the game could start at level 4 (with the level 4 token flipped up), but the heroes still start on the tile with the level 1 token (flipped down). Drawing an event that says "Spawn an enemy on the current level token" and playing it normally would place the enemy on the level 4 token, making it very far away from the heroes. Instead, story mode treats the words 'current level' on event cards differently so that enemies actually spawn close to the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are standing on the level 1 tile, but the dungeon's current level is 4 the note guards against you placing the monster out on the level 4 or 5 tile. You don't have this case in standard mode because levels are only activated once they are occupied. In story mode that is not the case.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Carcking wrote:
If you are standing on the level 1 tile, but the dungeon's current level is 4 the note guards against you placing the monster out on the level 4 or 5 tile. You don't have this case in standard mode because levels are only activated once they are occupied. In story mode that is not the case.

ninja

Mind you the monster level would be lower too right? If your standing on 1, but your level 4, your putting a level 1 monster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
Carcking wrote:

ninja

Mind you the monster level would be lower too right? If your standing on 1, but your level 4, your putting a level 1 monster?

No, monsters spawn at current dungeon level, no matter where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Carcking wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:
Carcking wrote:

ninja

No, monsters spawn at current dungeon level, no matter where.

I'm a little lost then, in my image at the top "Event Cards" doesn't it also apply for the monsters level?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
I'm a little lost then, in my image at the top "Event Cards" doesn't it also apply for the monsters level?

No, that note is tell you where to spawn the monsters, but the level of the monster at spawn is always the current dungeon level. In story mode that can be different than where the heroes are located physically.
So if, in story mode, your highest level hero is level 4, the new dungeon starts at level 4 (the level 4 token is face up and all others are face down). You heroes physically start on the first tile which happens to hold the level 1 token. The event card says to spawn a monster at current level +1. The special note instructs you to consider "current level" that which the foremost hero is standing on. In this case that's level 1, so the monster would appear on the tile holding the level 2 token. But the monster's level is always that of the current dungeon level, in this case level 4. You end up with a level 4 monster (with level 4 equipment) at the tile holding the level 2 token.

Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Carcking wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:

No, that note is tell you where to spawn the monsters, but the level of the monster at spawn is always the current dungeon level. In story mode that can be different than where the heroes are located physically.
So if, in story mode, your highest level hero is level 4, the new dungeon starts at level 4 (the level 4 token is face up and all others are face down). You heroes physically start on the first tile which happens to hold the level 1 token. The event card says to spawn a monster at current level +1. The special note instructs you to consider "current level" that which the foremost hero is standing on. In this case that's level 1, so the monster would appear on the tile holding the level 2 token. But the monster's level is always that of the current dungeon level, in this case level 4. You end up with a level 4 monster (with level 4 equipment) at the tile holding the level 2 token.

Does that help?

big time, ty ... sorry for my ignorance. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.