James Buckley
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all
Going to play my first game with the Borg expansion this weekend with three buddies.
I'm not sure which mode to play - Delta Quadrant of via exploration.
I'm concerned that there will just be a constant stream of cubes in the Delta mode, which will take away all other aspects of the game. But with the exploration there's a risk the Borg might not come out at all, or might be late game and ineffectual.
Any thoughts and what are peoples' preferences between the two?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often just play the wrong way by throwing everything in there. A Variant of the Delta Quadrant Probe.

I know someone tried to set up a scaling version of the game by shuffling in more hazardous exploration cards per turn. I though of doing the same but with hazardous systems and exploratio ncards.

1st Turn all safe (non hazardous) systems and blue exploration cards.
2nd Turn the Yellow civilization cards and Stellar Phenomena (non-borg) come in.
3rd Turn The Hazardous systems and the Green Virgin Exploration cards come in.
4th Turn The (non-borg) Crisis Card are shuffled in.
5th Turn The Borg gets shuffled in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcial
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
I sugest You play first with Exploration option and later with more experience play with Delta Q option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing RAW or with house rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buckley
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
Are you playing RAW or with house rules?

I'll probably be playing with the house rules on the Borg set out in your guide (which is excellent, great work!). However with the standard starting resources, not Humble Beginnings, I've considered using your three counter system with the Transwarp Hub even with the additional starting resources, just to make sure no one is steam rolled early doors.
I also quite like Maldus' idea about shuffling in new cards each round via the exploration approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case I'd go with the Hub in place from the get go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buckley
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I'll probably do that.
I was just wondering from people who played both modes which they had preferred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the Hub mixed in you obviously risk having very little Borg involvement. Playing like that is very close to playing without the Borg. We've played a lot without so we like the Borg to have a big influence. I can't say which variant we'll settle for in the long run though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo To those who are playing with the standard rules, there is a learning curve, and at first the Borg are terrors, then they become just a game factor. The question is, are your players willing to get knocked out of the game to learn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buckley
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a good question. I'll put it to the group. If they aren't we'll go for the exploration route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.