Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Star Wars in a Box - Star Wars: Rebellion review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby Scarbrough
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
I know I am late to the party, but I feel like it has been nearly impossible to get this game for the past few months thanks to the holiday season. Thankfully, I was able to grab a copy and finally play a game with my wife!

NOTE: This review is after only ONE game of Rebellion.

By reading this review, you probably need no introduction to Star Wars: Rebellion, but in case you have no idea what I am talking about, I will give you the run-down.

Star Wars: Rebellion is a an epic board game set in the Star Wars universe. The games seats between 2-4 players, depending on if you want to play a team game or not. The game is produced by Fantasy Flight, who is notorious for having a romp with the Star Wars license recently.

In our first game, like many first games, we were shaky on the rules, so play time took a while longer than it would have if we were seasoned, so the playtime was roughly 4 hours.

Gameplay itself is really fun. They did an amazing job capturing the epic saga of Star Wars (the prequel trilogy). You either have one player or team playing as the Empire, who's primary objective is to find and eliminate the rebel base, and you have the Rebels, who want to stay hidden and sabotage the Empire while the finish critical missions, slowly edging their way to victory. In our experience, the gameplay was amazing. Fantasy Flight conveys rules very well with the Learn to Play book, and the Rules Reference book is the cherry on top.

Victory conditions are pretty straight-forward. The Rebels are trying to accumulate reputation across the galaxy by completing hidden objectives. The Empire just wants the Rebel base gone. Pretty straight forward!

For components, the game gets a solid B+. the sculpts are great, and the level of detail in the bigger ships and components are fantastic. The only gripe I tended to have with a component was the fact that the player mats are made from a flimsy, thin cardboard. I would have much preferred a thicker cardboard, and they aren't even cross-woven fabric like most FFG cards. It is a bit cheap in my opinion, but I won't let it bother me too much.

Thematics get a complete A++ from me. This game really does feel like Star Wars in a box. The tensions are high, you have no idea what the other player is going to do, and when things do happen, they are epic. Example: our final fight occurred because I moved a squadron of TIE fighters and stormtroopers into a Rebel system, with the Death Star itself. I figured it was about time for me to show my ultimate power off, and use my mission (project) card that allowed me to destroy a planet with the Superlaser. Well, my wife had other plans. After a nice space combat phase with the Death Star (which can't be beaten by normal means), my wife had one suriviving ship. Surely, she will flee, the rebel scum. My wife, however, had other plans. She was only 2 reputation from winning, and she had a card up her sleeve: The Stolen Death Star Plans objective. Needless to say, I was floored when she rolled the 3 dice and got the symbol she needed to immediately blow up my Death Star. With that, she earned 2 points and won immediately.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this game to both fans of Star Wars and fans of board games. The game is an epic game, so expect to sink some time into it. I can't wait for my second play-through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik
Germany
Bergisch Gladbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank's for your review. Just bought it last week und this sunday i'll play it the first time. I'm very excited and can't wait anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Bychenkov
msg tools
mbmbmb
I litteraly count every day after i bought my copy with the expansion and wait it to be delivered to my country. I wanna play it so much already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Scarbrough
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
M0KI wrote:
Thank's for your review. Just bought it last week und this sunday i'll play it the first time. I'm very excited and can't wait anymore.

You are going to love it, especially if you love Star Wars!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Scarbrough
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Bugaguy wrote:
I litteraly count every day after i bought my copy with the expansion and wait it to be delivered to my country. I wanna play it so much already!

The expansion is my next conquer haha, I hope you like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.