Hide
4 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: What expansions should I buy ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron h
msg tools
I am planning on buying the base game, what expansions should I get. I care most about characters and thematic things rather than gameplay mechanics. It also does not necessarily have to be a big box expansion either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more base games. Don't worry about expansions for now. Three core sets is the best way to experience the game when you're just starting out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Agree with Drew 99%. The unaccounted for 1% is because, depending on your budget, you can do well with only two cores (base games) to start. Then if you find yourself actually liking the game, then spurge for the third core.

And if you're able to spurge, then to answer your question about expansions... if you find yourself liking the game, and intend to play only at the casual level (to include casual local store tournaments), then I suggest you limit your expansion purchases to the "Deluxe" expansions. Four have been released thus far, and a fifth is on the way.

Go here to see a list of all the expansions: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/169255/game-thrones-...

Again, if you'll be playing only casually, then the Deluxe expansions - now that several have been released - will serve you very well in the expansion department and also provide the "greatest bang for your buck". But as Drew suggested, try a few games and perhaps a little deck building (as you desire) with the core game first (2 or 3 copies). That way, you'll know if you like it or not. And if you do, then follow the rest of the advice.

Then if you discover you might want to dabble in the tournament scene, then start looking at the Chapter packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Again, if you'll be playing only casually, then the Deluxe expansions - now that several have been released - will serve you very well in the expansion department and also provide the "greatest bang for your buck".

This is true. You'll get a lot more characters you know from the books (or show) with these than the Chapter Packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.