Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Five players

Standard map, no expansion powers allowed.

Round tiles from 1-6
TP>>3VP, SH/SA>>5VP. SH/SA>>5VP, dig>>2VP, TW>>5VP, TP>>3VP

BON 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9

Faction choices in order
Swarmlings, Witches, Nomads, Dwarves, Chaos Magicians

Start hexes
Swarmlings D2, H2
Witches C4, F4
Nomads A5, D3, F3
Dwarves F6, C5
Chaos Magicians G2

Swarmlings, Nomads, and Chaos Magicians grab FAV11 on round one.

I was playing the Swarmlings, so the rest of the session will be focused on them.

Round one: Got BON6 and built SH&TE. Nomads dug and built DW at E3. Witches got BON4 and took ACT2 to upgrade their boat to build four D. Dwarves tunneled,as they do. CM built their TE and held the rest.

Round two: Got BON7. Took ACT6 to dig C1 & D1, building D on both this round. Upgraded one to TP. Nomads, Witches. and Dwarves built SH, CM built SA. Nomads also sandstormed E2 but couldn't build. Burned P on air to get end of round Ws.

Round three: Got BON6 again. Upgraded TE to SA and took FAV10. Then upgraded remaining DW to TP. CM dug and built G1, but otherwise the action on the board was far away from me. Nomads left E2 unbuilt. Burned P on fire to get end of round Ws.

Round four: Got BON7 again. Took ACT6 to dig and build H3, then proceeded to build I4 also. Upgraded one of them to TP. Nomads still left E2 unbuilt as he concentrated on other areas. Burned one P on water as it wad the only three jump remaining, the other on earth for end of round money.

Round five: Got BON6 again. Took ACT6 to dig E1 and I2. Built both to complete TWs, taking both TW5 tiles. Concerned that Nomads might sandstorm F1 to cut me off (he'd done E4 earlier), went ahead and dug and built it with Ws. Upgraded I2 to TP. Used one P to upgrade SHIP, burned the other on fire. Received end of round SPD from earth, used it on A3.

Round six: Had to settle for BON2. Took ACT2 for last P. Built D at A3 and A4. Upgraded TP at I2 to TE, taking FAV12. Upgraded A3 to TP. Used two Ps to upgrade SHIP, the other on water. Used BON to move earth to 10.

End game, tied second on network. First in water and earth, second in fire, third in air.

Final score 161 - 1st

Nomads were second at 125, followed by Dwarves, CM, and Witches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LOL, What a cakewalk for you. I wish I was able to go. I'm going to guess that no one else there played on Snellman. I assume you do, since you used all the terminology.

Swarmlings were a really good choice, but Darklings or Halflings might have been better (but I always seem to have trouble with Halflings myself). I guess you knew that once no one picked Halflings or Darklings with R4 spade scoring, you had to be pretty confident. Once BON6 came to you for R1, you had to know that the game was going to be a cakewalk, especially after they let you have FAV11. No D scoring at all... and they didn't know to take FAV11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the detailed write up, and congrats on the win! Sounds like you played well.

It does sound like you had some questionable opponents though, but ah well. I'm particularly confused by the Chaos Magicians...half the reason I pick them in last seat is so I can guarantee myself Bon 6 and therefore a SA. I guess the R2 SH/SA scoring probably enticed a lot of them to hold off on Bon 6 and build their SH/SA in the coming rounds.

I too am surprised nobody went Halflings with the R4 spade tile. I admit though I'm not good at exploiting Halflings in that set up anyhow.

Once again congrats, and thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose Swarmlings over Darklings or Halflings because we didn't have BON3, so I thought money could be an issue, and they don't need D scoring. Plus I had just played Halflings with a R4 spade in my last heat, so I wanted to do something else.

I was surprised that no one went with the Halfling Big Dig plan with the R4 spade.

I was also surprised to get BON6 on round one. You're correct that everyone else was waiting for R2 to build SH/SA. Too bad that I passed last in R1 and no one got it for R2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.