16 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Greenery Placement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
a d
msg tools
"next to a tile you own"

Does it have to be next to your city? Can it be next to an ocean or greenery you placed? Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be next to one of your cities, or green tiles, or brown tiles. If can NOT be next to one of your ocean tiles because nobody "owns" ocean tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has to be next to a tile with your player marker on it: a city, a greenery, a special tile, but not an ocean as these have no player markers.

ninja 'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody owns the water. Thats gods water.... Super troopers reference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
It can be next to one of your cities, or green tiles, or brown tiles. If can NOT be next to one of your ocean tiles because nobody "owns" ocean tiles.

The exception is if you have no (owned) tiles on Mars, then you can place it anywhere (where legal). But the next greenery after that would need to go next to it because you now have a tile on Mars. (There are some cards that are exceptions as well, like the forest you place on a hex reserved for oceans.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to whats said above, It can be placed anywhere not reserved if you don’t have a tile already, or if your already placed tiles are locked in by other players tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoffman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One common mistake I've noticed in images people post here is that they place special tiles with the icon side up, and don't put a cube on the tile. Curious if that affects how people place greeneries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
...and also your white tile if that one is yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kaha preclo
msg tools
Wait. Does it not have to be next to another greenery that you own? If you have a city, can you place green on the south side and then suddenly jump to the north side without circling around the city first?

I might have played this wrong for the past 100 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kahapreclo wrote:
Wait. Does it not have to be next to another greenery that you own? If you have a city, can you place green on the south side and then suddenly jump to the north side without circling around the city first?

I might have played this wrong for the past 100 games.

True, next to another tile of any kind that you own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kahapreclo wrote:
If you have a city, can you place green on the south side and then suddenly jump to the north side without circling around the city first?

That's correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kaha preclo
msg tools
Oh my. I played this game so much without realizing this. This is probably why not many people in my group like to do greenery strategy because they would be blocked in.

I just thought that greenery has to grow to another greenery because forest spread from each other makes a lot of sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Mai
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kahapreclo wrote:
I just thought that greenery has to grow to another greenery because forest spread from each other makes a lot of sense.
If it were about the plants naturally spreading, thematically that makes sense. But the action is planting them down, so no adjacency specific to other greenery tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flight Doc
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On a similar note, mining area MUST be placed next to a tile you own that also has a metal bonus icon. Mining rights can be placed anywhere with a metal bonus icon (not an ocean space). The former is cheaper (4€) and the latter is 9€. The extra 5€ cost allows you freedom of placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kaha preclo
msg tools
Yup. We always play mining area correctly. Just the greenery. I read it as you must place greenery to another (greenery) tile that you own.

Because of the mistake, our group has been focusing on forcing another player to build greenery in such a way that only profit the opponents. We value tile placement very highly so that you can cut yourself completely off, and able to jump to start another patch of forest somewhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaudium wrote:
One common mistake I've noticed in images people post here is that they place special tiles with the icon side up, and don't put a cube on the tile. Curious if that affects how people place greeneries.
Yup, I’ve failed to do that. Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.