Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Some of the TITLE cards have special effects, such as doing additional challenges or additional claims.

For instance, you can do an extra power challenge against a "different opponent" with Hand of the King or you can get additional intrigue claims against any number of opponents with Master of Whispers.

But can you do these special effects against an opponent you already SUPPORT on your title card?

I am seeing many threads that say Master of Whispers extra claim effect can be used against supported factions, but Hand of the King cannot.

That basically means that in a 3 player game, Hand of the King is ultimately worthless.

Still need a clear ruling on this, since I will be playing a 3 player game this weekend probably.

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
The effect of Master of Whispers can be done against opponents that you support if you wish.

Hand of the King cannot be used to attack a player you support.

However, please remember that in a 3 player game, there are possibilities that nobody supports anyone in a round, so the Hand of the King is absolutely possible in 3 player for maximum effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thank you, I agree with your post, but this does lead to the question of when you obey the Golden Rule and when you don't.

The Golden Rule
If the text on a card directly contradicts the text of
the rules (either in this document or in the Rules
Reference), the text on the card takes precedence.

In this case, Hand of the King contradicts the Support rules, but according to the Golden Rule, you would just go ahead and obey anything it says on the card.

Am I looking it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit of Misery wrote:
Thank you, I agree with your post, but this does lead to the question of when you obey the Golden Rule and when you don't.

The Golden Rule
If the text on a card directly contradicts the text of
the rules (either in this document or in the Rules
Reference), the text on the card takes precedence.

In this case, Hand of the King contradicts the Support rules, but according to the Golden Rule, you would just go ahead and obey anything it says on the card.

Am I looking it wrong?

Yes. You can interpret both cards to be validly applied here. Since Hand of the King says, "You may..." and support is defined as being a "cannot" ability, it trumps the "may" on Hand of the King. You may attack another opponent, but you can't attack the person you support, so you don't have a valid target and can't exercise that ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Okay, it makes sense, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.