Great Western Trail» Forums » General

Subject: Replacing coins with metal ones. Do you think I have enough? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Midget
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Hey folks, I just barely got this game and don't have any experience with it really, but I'm looking to upgrade the coins to metal ones.

I want to use my Carson City set which I haven't been able to use yet, but the number of coins is a bit off.

GWT comes with: 35 $1s, 20 $5s.

I have: 30 $1s, 20 $5s, 22 $10s, 6 $20s.

Since you folks have way more experience in this game, do you think it's reasonable to expect that my coin setup will work without problems for the game even up to 4 players (I'll mostly be playing with 4). Or do you think I'm better off ordering some new sets that have the exact same amount that came with the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll be fine with the amounts you listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Money doesn't really accumulate in this game, so the most i've ever seen one play have for a sustained period is $25 or so.

You'll be ok with those values and if you do ever need a temporary "top up" you can use the cardboard coins anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I borrowed someone's idea on here - Indian head pennies for the 1s and buffalo head nickels for the 5s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Midget
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for your answers. Sounds like I should be fine with what I've already got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Carson City coins and they're perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter J Burke
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use real-life US currency and remain almost thematic; pennies for $1 and 5c for $5. although Carson City coins will feel more valuable, less prone to cheating (look I dropped this coin on the floor whistle ) and less common-Day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using Carson City coins too. Usually the 1s, 5s, and about five 10s is sufficient. I'm going to get some sets of the Wild West coins from the current Legendary Metal Coins Season 3 kickstarter that is live right now. The last game I played I used some generic "Atomic coins" that I got from TopshelfGamer, they're quite nice, and have a much better weight to them than the Carson City 1s (I love the 5s and 10s, but those 1s are just sad).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lyons
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
My burning Fire
badge
WITNESS!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how I upgraded my copy of Great Western Trail recently:

Indian Head Pennies and Buffalo Nickels along with a special 2 cent piece from 1866!

This isn't exactly the best option for everybody, especially Internationally, but I think Pennies and Nickels alone are a great option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tombonator
United States
charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TRONOFTHEDEAD wrote:
Here's how I upgraded my copy of Great Western Trail recently:

Indian Head Pennies and Buffalo Nickels along with a special 2 cent piece from 1866!

This isn't exactly the best option for everybody, especially Internationally, but I think Pennies and Nickels alone are a great option.

Was there a specific store/location that you bought these? Can't seem to find anything online that wouldn't break the bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you just have to get lucky with lots that aren't in great condition. The sellers can make a buck selling their dregs that they normally couldn't move easily. Makes a huge difference for those of us that are tactile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.