Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Variants

Subject: Home Brew to Balance 5-6 players to a casual style. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bannister Nicholas
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I belong to several board gaming groups (live, not internet), and have at those meetups played now 7 groups first lions, 1st settlements and half of which to 2nd and 3rd LY, several of which are 5-6 players.

Due to the slightly more casual style of play, I have introduced the following rules for these groups, I present them for your perusal and hope for any further foresight.

A) with 5 players, I add an extra (B) AI card and randomly apply a mood to the start of battle, for 6 players, I add another (B) and make sure that smart cat is in the deck as well.

B) Knockdown does 1 light wound if the location is 0 or 1 armour, but only light wound.

C) Board Edge (the Darkness) knock-back causes 1 insanity check (roll under insanity to fail), if failed 1 brain damage (no deaths).

D) Dead Characters weapons on the field can be claimed by a character standing adjacent and spending their action

E) You cannot move Adjacent along a creature, you must step back and move around, like many mini battle games.

F) Settlement Luck. Settlement starts with 1 luck, Any insta-death rolls earn the settlement 1 luck, which can be spent later to 'save' any further insta-deaths. Suggestion to players to build up to 2 luck and only spend if its a key character.. not for red-shirts.

G) Deaths will give a broken lantern resource. Seems obvious.

H) After(during, but roll after) the showdown, 4 of the settlement folk (not survivors) can go out to look for resources, currently with a 2d10 roll, 2 = 1 death, 16+ one random resource, lanterns = +1 random resource, I'm working on a better list (see another thread here)

So far so good, the battles go a tad quicker, since there are 5-6 players, but still get a nice 1-3 severe wounds and sometimes a death, I have had only 1 rules lawyer, which is always annoying, but I did inform everyone that some homebrew was included to make the game a tad faster and exciting, but also take out some insta-death imbalance.. people just can't get past their character dying..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nuke_morningstar
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
badge
No Clear Mind
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
B) Knockdown does 1 light wound if the location is 0 or 1 armour.
C) Board Edge (the Darkness) knock-back causes 1 insanity check.

Interesting variant, I liked these two additions a lot.

Quote:
E) You cannot move Adjacent along a creature, you must step back and move around, like many mini battle games.

Does this play a major role in how the battles go, or is it usually trivial? Sounds like it makes it harder to surround a monster, or take position for certain HL reactions/AI cards. Does it feel harder overall
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen F
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing, I quite like these! Both thematic and probably make gameplay a little more interesting.

Any idea how this scales into the mid- to late game and against different monsters?

Only E) about not moving adjacent I would never use, as it feels a little like making it unnecessarily more complicated while not being very thematic in my opinion.

For the extra foragers in H, I wonder how balanced that will be, but I like the idea that whoever doesn't go on a hunt can still do something useful.

The settlement luck mechanic is nice in the way that the more unlucky you are, the more you get compensated, but I wonder if essentially halving the number of insta-deaths isn't too powerful? Also, does rolling 1-2 on severe injury table count as insta-death? How about rolls on the Armored Strangers event and the like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bannister Nicholas
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nukethestars wrote:

Quote:

Does this play a major role in how the battles go, or is it usually trivial? Sounds like it makes it harder to surround a monster, or take position for certain HL reactions/AI cards. Does it feel harder overall
?
Most Miniatures games I've played have always had this rule, our table just assumed it was the rule and played that way from the beginning, So we never noticed it, until we had a player (rules lawyer) who wanted to see the text of it.. we house ruled it ever since.

It makes the most sense, I'm fighting a monster, face to face, and then decide to walk around it and attack its rear.. how come it just can't attack me, why wouldn't it 'follow' me turning as I move, and stop me from attacking its rear..

The only time it actually matters is exactly when it should. if you're facing a creature, you can't just walk along its flank and attack its rear.. the creature wouldn't let you.. you step back 1 sq, so you're not in base contact and move, which for any standard survivor, will take 1 turn away to the side, then 1 turn to the rear.. If you attack its side (as you likely should) it may turn towards you, which is also logical.. and if it doesn't, because its distracted or something else, then that too makes sense.. just delays 1 turn

If you're already attacking its side, you step away, move around and attack its rear, no problem, UNLESS your move is less than 5, but that too makes sense, I'm wounded, so I can't move easy, so I can;t easily attack its rear just after attacking its side..

So Theme wise, I think its on par with a likely combat situation.. That said.. I have yet to fight the Phoenix, but surely, given its size, I should not be able to flank it in 1 move either..

Jeroen F wrote:
...For the extra foragers in H, I wonder how balanced that will be...
With the knockdown damage, and possible movement restriction from E, I think balance is maybe restored.

Jeroen F wrote:
... but I wonder if essentially halving the number of insta-deaths isn't too powerful? Also, does rolling 1-2 on severe injury table count as insta-death? How about rolls on the Armored Strangers event and the like?...
I have read that many insta deaths just ruin the feel for the game short term, so this ruling is for groups that want to complete the game the first time through, and might never play again.

Its not for Showdown deaths, and I'll probably say no to the Armoured strangers too, essentially any time there is any choice, its a no, it'd only be time where you -> draw a card, then -> roll a die, then someone, usually one of your main heroes, no questions asked -> dies. You still lose the "first" time this happens, so the shock and loss still happens, but its softened by the idea that you can choose to save someone, next time it happens.. and you might not.. Oh No, Jen the Wild Ranger with +2 speed and +2 strength, mother to our Saviour, and Ken the newb, 1 XP, just returned from his first battle, both die from the Plague! Argh..

well, as luck would have it..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.