chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this game six times (and my copy was new when I bought it), but already maybe 1/3 of my copper cubes are chipped on the corners.

I take really good care of my games, and have never had this problem even after dozens and dozens of plays with other games I own that feature cubes.

I LOVE the gameplay of this game, but it is already looking shabby, and that definitely sours my enjoyment somewhat. I'm fine with 'ugly' board design and basic player mats, as long as they do the job, but this seems like really poor production values.

Have other people had this problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has happened to mine too - hasn't affect our enjoyment of the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean the corner where the cube was connected to the sprue during production? All your cubes should show this. It's the equivalent of " my punched cardboard tokens are missing color prints on their sides. The cardboard is already visible there gulp"

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your referring to the one corner on each cube that looks sort of white and indented, then this is intentional. It is where the stick or rod or whatever it is, is inserted as they get colored and produced. Every cube made in every copy of the game is like this, yours is no different.

If your describing something else, then thats different. Weve played prob 10+ now, and honestly we are quite physical with our cubes (throwing them into plastic storage trays and pushing them into the upgraded acrylic holders) and none have broken, chipped, or otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, i played my copy around 80 times and my cubes are looking pretty bad, the silver ones are the worst case. Thats a shame, but the still sits on my top 1 game of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:
Yeah, i played my copy around 80 times and my cubes are looking pretty bad, the silver ones are the worst case. Thats a shame, but the still sits on my top 1 game of all time.

Mind to share a pic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two issues that I have heard of about TfM cubes on these boards:

a) one corner of EVERY cube has a small white indentation. This shows up extremely well on the copper-colored cubes and is usually noticed first on these cubes. If you look carefully at the gold and silver cubes, you will notice this on them as well. It is a manufacturing artifact - the cubes are cast in bulk using white plastic, the cubes being held together on sprues to make the manufacturing process cost-effective. This is standard industry injection-molding process. They then take these cubes-on-sprues and dip them in the metallic coating. Once set, the cubes are removed from the sprues, leaving the attachment corner uncolored. Normal for these cubes.

b) I have heard of cubes 'delaminating,' i.e., the coloring flaking off. This is a separate issue, and IS a manufacturing defect. These cubes should get replaced.

That is all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kramer
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't mind the poor quality of the cubes. I say its shows patina and is kind of cool. Also nobody in my group has noticed the patina look to the cubes. Since the game has been played near 100 times I say its holding up well to all the love it gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DnaDan56 wrote:
There are two issues that I have heard of about TfM cubes on these boards:

a) one corner of EVERY cube has a small white indentation. This shows up extremely well on the copper-colored cubes and is usually noticed first on these cubes. If you look carefully at the gold and silver cubes, you will notice this on them as well. It is a manufacturing artifact - the cubes are cast in bulk using white plastic, the cubes being held together on sprues to make the manufacturing process cost-effective. This is standard industry injection-molding process. They then take these cubes-on-sprues and dip them in the metallic coating. Once set, the cubes are removed from the sprues, leaving the attachment corner uncolored. Normal for these cubes.

b) I have heard of cubes 'delaminating,' i.e., the coloring flaking off. This is a separate issue, and IS a manufacturing defect. These cubes should get replaced.

Yes, I think on some of my copper cubes the colour is flaking off around the 'bald' corner, making it look much worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I am able to leave the game set up in between solo plays. I use the same 50-60 cubes that I pulled out over and over. I have not seen any deterioration after about two dozen games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Lots of threads on this. You're not alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jaeger
Germany
Burtenbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

a search would probably give you all the answers you seek, but it has been a while so I would like to offer the explanation again.

The cubes are produced by plastic injection. They are all on a sprue and are of a yellow-ish colour after injection. The whole sprues are now covered with a metal-looking patina in a vacuum chamber.

Now the cubes are broken off the sprues and sortedn into the bags. Where they are broken off the sprues is where you can see the original plastic colour shining through. That is normal and is th case not for 1/3 of your cubes, but for all.

That is the weakest part o fthe cube, and it may occasionally occur that the patina may peel off of some cubes. It is unavoidable due to the nature of the materials used. Plastic is inert so adding a metallic layer is not an easy process.

When you play the game you will notice that the game contains more than enough cubes. Actually, your bag of cubes should already have a few cubes more than listed in the game, and even the number listed is plenty. You will not need all of them. If one becomes ugly, just give him a proper burial ;-)

Best regards
Frank Jaeger
LUDO FACT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your detailed explanation.

But I have to say, since this is apparently a well-known issue

frank jaeger wrote:

That is the weakest part of the cube, and it may occasionally occur that the patina may peel off of some cubes. It is unavoidable due to the nature of the materials used. Plastic is inert so adding a metallic layer is not an easy process.

maybe it would have been better to use different materials, to avoid the peeling problem. Because if I start burying the ugly cubes, I will have to hold quite a few funerals.

I think I will just look around for some other brown cubes I can use instead...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, would YOU mind to share a picture?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: So, how common is this problem?
Find the row which has the right number of plays, then mark the state of your cubes. The first option (Perfect cubes) is probably unnecessary, but some people have not noticed the uncoated corners, so I just included it. If you can remember the state of your game after a number of plays, you may check answers in several rows.
How often have you played your copy, and what is the state of your cubes?
  Perfect cubes Corner visible Few flaking/ scratched Lots flaking/ scratched All flaking/ scratched
Played less than 10 times
Played 10-50 times
Played 51-100 times
Played 100-200 times
Played 201+ times
      12 answers
Poll created by Thamos von Nostria
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.