Fields of Arle» Forums » General

Subject: Price/Player Count rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Morgan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm really interested in picking up Fields of Arle or one of his other games like this. My question really comes down the price of the game vs. how many players it supports. Mainly it's just my wife and I, but we do have a few other couples we play with from time to time. Would I be better off picking a game like Agricola that can be played with 2-4 over this? I know Caverna has kind of replaced Agricola, but the theme of Dwarves doesn't really do it for us and it seems like the adventuring mechanic (which also doesn't appeal to us) seems to be the strategy that always wins the game. Are there other farming-type games like this that are good 2-4 players? Or is this game really worth the price for a two-player only game? I know there is an expansion that adds a third player, but that only balloons the cost more. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can win just as easily without adventuring as with. Definitely not THE winning strategy.

I don't notice how the theme is dwarves at all. I am farming, yes. I have never felt like a dwarf.

What exactly are you looking for? A farming game of some complexity? Field of Green is accessible, replayable and accommodates 4. La Granja is more complex, has not got the best of looks but is a very solid game with interesting card mecvhanics. (A Feast for) Odin is a complex, delightful game in which farming also plays a role. (At the gates of) Loyang shines with 2, can be played with 4. Glass Road and Nusfjord have less to do with farming but definitely allow you to build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zwiers
Netherlands
Overijssel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone can answer your question... It would have to be your choice whether you'd want to buy a game for 2p only versus possibly more players.
Also, it's quite a bold statement saying Caverna replaced Agricola.
IMO Agricola reigns supreme over Caverna due to its replayability, and for that reason and the flexibility to the number of players I'd suggest Agricola of the three. However, FoA has a completely different feel to it, and to my opinion is the better 2p game. In the end it's all a matter of personal taste and the amount of budget you have... Not much help eh?! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I didn't think it would be an easy question to answer, and my statement about Caverna replacing Agricola was meant as more of a general statement that I hear repeated often, not an absolute. I'm really thinking that Agricola may be the way to go for what I want, a farming game I can play 2 player with my wife and then expand to 4 when we have other people over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
My shell is bigger than your apartment
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is very good with 2 players, much better than Caverna. With 4 players it a matter of preference, both game are excellent. But none of them is near as good as Fields of Arle is with 2 πλαυερσ.
With 4 players it a matter of preference, both Agricola and Caverna are excellent.

While the theme is irrelevant with farming, Russian Railroads is a deep worker placement games that is excellent with 2 and 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can afford to buy two games, I think you would be better off having one dedicated 2-player game to play with your wife (that could be Fields of Arle), and one game to play when others are visiting. If you and your wife play the game a lot more than the others, it might not be fun for them, anyway. I tend to play specific games with specific groups of people, so that the people I play with have more or less the same experience as me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
If the folks you will be playing with won't be overwhelmed by Agricola, get Agricola (Revised Edition) and be happy. Works great as a two player game and with four.

I see you don't have your collection listed. Do you play a lot of games? Fields of Arle is quite "heavy" and it's certainly not for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef Kevin
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
The best mats ever!
badge
Yes, that's me in the latte!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want buy based on price point, Agricola is the way to go, unless you go buy all the expansions.

As stated above, you don't feel like your people are dwarves when you play Caverna, so I wouldn't discount it because of the theme...it really is just a farming/mining game at heart. You could be pandas and you wouldn't know the difference.

Caverna and Agricola are both excellent games. I'd start with one and play the tar out of it, then if you like it, get the other and play the tar out of it. They have some strong similarities but give a different experience IMO.

Fields of Arle is a beautiful and wonderful game for two, probably my wife & I's favorite 2 player game. But if you want to have a game where a few others can join, Agricola would probably be the choice for you.

If you have the budget and space, all three are worth having in your collection! A Feast for Odin is pretty awesomesauce too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Even though Agricola and Fields of Arle are both games about farming I feel they play very differently. The difference is why I like FoA so much better than Agricola. I haven't played Caverna to comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Knox
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
One thing you might want to consider is the recent shuttering of Mayfair. Caverna may be difficult to come by soon (similar to Le Havre). Whereas FoA will likely be available for awhile.

For my part I love both. Can't pick a favorite between them. Though Caverna definitely gets more play. I'll also agree with others that the dwarf part of the theme shouldn't turn you off. It's an incredibly satisfying experience, and always instantly hooks people I introduce to it. I resisted trying an Uwe game for a long time as mechs, aliens, etc. seemed more interesting to me than farming. But now his games are the ones I play most often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.