Subject: Looking for more out of my non-campaign story party. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The wife and I are playing Brute and Mindthief for the campaign.

When I want to play and she doesn't, or when she's not home I also have a solo party for myself of Cragheart and Tinkerer. For the time being; I've been playing random dungeons exclusively with these characters, these characters share the campaign item supply, these characters can collect gold and complete battle goals. These characters do not encounter city events or road events, these characters do not have life goals, these characters do not earn achievements, reputation, or prosperity.

Basically, all they do is sweep random dungeons, or casual already-completed campaign dungeons. They collect gold,level up, and can get chests that the wife and I missed.

I'm really loving playing solo, and having a second party; but I feel I'm doing it wrong as they merely trail behind the main party doing useless things. I want more out of them but I don't know how to go about it.

--------

Most importantly, I don't want to progress the story with my solo party at all; I want to save that good stuff for the wife and I's game time.

I am considering giving my characters life goals; in order to have something cool to work towards. But would that make the campaign lame having unlocked characters through random dungeons/casual mode?

Really on the fence of what to do. But I want more out of them. Any ideas, input would be greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't tell you what to do, but according to RAW I think you're supposed to draw personal goals for every character you create.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want to learn story without your wife there is not much you can do.

I have a group that meets way to slowly for my need to play gloomhaven. So I started a solo campaign in a parallel universe.

I really don't want to learn story without the group either but I am willing to learn some overlapping story before them so that I can play more often. I plan to steer my solo campaign as far from them as I can.

When the stories do cloide and I do know spoilers it will be good for the group. I will be able to shut up, sit back and let the rest of the group lead.

There are two bridges I have not crossed yet and I am not sure if I will cross them. The first are the envelopes. I am not sure I want my solo group to open an envelope or town registry before the main group. The second are card enhancements. So far I have not added any stickers to any cards.

I think am fine with enhanced card somehow existing as is in both universes but I don't think I want my solo group to enhance any cards.

What I think I need is just another copy of the game. As silly as that sounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
florencka wrote:
Can't tell you what to do, but according to RAW I think you're supposed to draw personal goals for every character you create.

I think this is what I will do. It'll give me something to work towards, without spoiling the story. Character unlocks take forever anyways right? At least on my Brute it seems like it will. Her Mindthief, maybe not too hard.

Xaqery wrote:
What I think I need is just another copy of the game. As silly as that sounds.

I have printed off an entire map with all location stickers, and achievement stickers. But I've been sleeping on it because I don't wanna get further in the story on that copy; than on my actual copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Have you seen this? There is a completely separate 10 scenario campaign that you could try.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1765807/mini-scenario-links...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
zewskii wrote:
Have you seen this? There is a completely separate 10 scenario campaign that you could try.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1765807/mini-scenario-links...

And there's another one coming soon, I believe.

To the OP: the main campaign has several branch points, each with their own story arcs. It's possible you can take one of those branches and leave that as your Cragheart/Tinkerer branch, while doing the rest with your wife. You still might not want to do that, if you want to do all of the "main" story stuff with her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That's rad! Is this official?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yeah, written by Isaac and everything. There was a thing where the community got to vote on which choices to make that you missed out on (me too ) but other than that it is a fully fleshed out campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Been looking into this since I've seen your link. This is what I'll be doing! No unlocks for solo play, and I'm excited for it! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
And a new set of expeditions will be starting on March 28, with a new scenario releasing every week. This time, we can get in on the community choices.

Gloomhaven Kickstarter Update #49 wrote:
As I said above, this will be the last update before the start of the community-driven expedition scenarios. If you are not sure what that is, you can read about it on the main Kickstarter page in the "Further Expeditions" section, and also in this old update. Just to make sure that no one is confused, I wanted to emphasize that this is not another Kickstarter - it is just me releasing a string of scenarios for free and people voting on what happens next.

The tentative schedule is to begin at the end of March, Wednesday the 28th, and run a 10-scenario expedition similar in execution to the one that ran during the Kickstarter, except there would be a new scenario once a week instead of once every three days. The stretch goal reached 20 scenarios total, of course, but I've decided to break that up into two separate expeditions, one after the other.

My original plan was to run it completely through BGG, and just send out one update here when it had started, but I am open to feedback on that. Let me know in the comments if you'd prefer to receive constant updates about it (like, once per week) through Kickstarter, or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.