Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Diplomatic Options rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Hadaway
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Other Diplomatic Options to "Trade" or Add into a game. I am using Stellaris as Inspiration.

Non-Aggression Pacts- Breaking cost X number of Production (maybe equal to the combine Ascendancy of both players). This basically makes an opportunity cost for betraying a trading partner. Of course, you could merely trade, and not have a formal Non Aggression pact.

Defensive Alliances- Breaking cost X number of Production (equal to the highest Ascendancy of both players; so Romulans have 4, Federation has 2, they have a Defensive Alliance, Federation decides to break it and attack the Romulans with the Klingons, this would cost them 4 culture to break, if they didn't have it, perhaps destroy a culture node (or exchange an ascendancy for 5 culture, and they return 4 to supply, have 1 left, and the Ascendancy is now only 1). This is the most expensive this would be.

Alliances - Cost An Ascendancy to break. This is the basically a Defensive Pact that also means you will attack the same player that same turn. More of an offensive one. So Federation and Romulans have an Alliance. Romulans attack Klingons on their turn this round. The Federation would also be obligated to attack the Klingons this turn, if they didn't they would break the Alliance (automatically) and be forced to pay an Ascedancy.
Optional: If you are in an Alliance and one person achieves an Ascendancy victory then both players win, or perhaps they each take out an enemy homeworld. This could allow for both players to win via Supremecy.

Trade Entire Systems:
Ex: Bajor for Terra Nova for example.

Declare Rival-Give this card to one player, you generate are unable to have any other Active Trade Agreements or diplomatic relations of any kind, but you generate Production equal to their Ascendancy level. This can help lagging players stall a player closing in on the finish who is unwilling to trade with anyone.
Ex: Say klingons are at level 4, and both Ferengi and Federation are at level 2. I doubt the Ferengi would want to break any trade agreements, but perhaps the Federation decides to Declare the Klingons their rival, increasing their production in the late game to help build more fleets. Could be cool to see massive battles.

Offer Tribute: Give X amount of resource (probably limit it to Research and Production,) to a player for a promise to do Y. This could be to attack player Z, or perhaps an upfront cost to form an Alliance, who knows.
Say you are Federation and you have crappy ships, but a lot of X resource,(say research), you offer to give the Klingons 4 Research if they will attack the Romulans. Of course then you get into bartering, what if I give it to you and you don't attack, and what if I attack them and you don't give it to me, then you could go 50/50. Point is it makes for a more dynamic game.
Of course the Klingons may counter, I need 3 resources to finish Mass Fire Tactics which will help me in the battle, give me 3 now, I will attack, and then after the battle you give me the final research.

I haven't tried any of these but would be curious to see if anyone does how it turns out. I also imagine it would be better for larger games with 4+ players and or the Borg. Or maybe when they release Andorans and Vulcans and we start getting 7+ player games it could get really interesting.

Sabotage- You may expend resources/command to sabotage a players Research or Starbase, Production or Culutre nodes. You may only do this once per turn to any 1 player.

Sabotage Options

Assassinate Leader
Spend a command and 1 production per the Target Players Ascension level. Roll a dice and exhaust this many command tokens of target enemy until next turn. (or if too powerful, perhaps exhaust half their command tokens rounded up.)

Sabatoge Research
Pay 1 Command- Remove 1 Research token from an active Project, OR
Pay 3 Command- Remove 2 Research tokens from an active Project

Sabotage Starbase
Pay 1 Command & 1 Production per enemy Ascendancy level- This Starbase may not be used in battle or to produce ships until the following player turn.

Sabotage Planetary Infastructe
Pay 1 Command & 1 Production per enemy Ascendancy level- Select a Research node or culture node on planet. This node does not generate resources next turn. Turn the node on its side to notate this. In addition, if left in disrepair it does not generate resources. Any research nodes that are damaged do NOT result in the loss of any Projects. The owning Player may choose which project that remains active.
To repair a Node spend 1 command & 1 production. If a damaged node is repaired immediately after being sabotaged, it still does not generate resources (or projects) until the following turn. In short, a sabotaged node will always cost the player at least 1 round of resource generation.
*The cost of this is reduced by 1 production if you have a Friendly Starship in orbit or by 2 if a Friendly Fleet is in orbit over the planet.

Research Example: Federation player has 2 active projects, Project A, and Project B. The Romulan player sabotages 1 of the 2 research nodes the Federation player has. The Federation player may choose whether Project A or Project B is stalled (though it is not discarded).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Non Aggression Pacts seems like a variaent the Eclipse Betrayal token, which could actually be a better mechanic. You have to have 6 Ascendancy with the Betrayal (or just conquer 2 homeworlds).

Alliance I don't think should be broken for any reason other than player elimination. However losing a member to extermination/assimilation will cost the other players to discard an Ascendancy token (if not than that player is also eliminated for regression into a dark age).

I do wish there were more trade systems not only with the Cardassians but with Klingons and Romulans. However I do wish that there was a neutral/demilitarized zone set up using special space lanes. A Red space lane would constitute a neutral zone and planets connected to all red would be a demilitarized system (remove control nodes). Crossing into it could count as betrayal allowing you to return a trade agreement in committing an act of war, but not required as if you actually attacked someone. It would allow for a bit more saber rattling in the game.

Declare Rival, well right now everyone is a rival and anyone that is not trading with you is an enemy. Not necessarily needed.

Tribute is simply trade and then you revoke yours without betrayal so if they don't revoke theirs then essentially they are giving you tribute (or visa verse).

Sabotage may be interesting but honestly and dare I say it I sort of wish for some heroes such as a hero ship or a hero personnel that could be attached to a ship or fleet. Sort of like TI-3rdEd ones.

Well those are my thoughts on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
I'm digging the concepts here, one thing I've thought about are the numerous coup/assassination attempts (successful and unsuccessful) in ST, that all factions have undergone. To represent the political upheaval from the coup, a faction would spend half their command tokens, rounded up.

Ideally, each faction would have a project to this effect (including the Federation), that would cost five research and be used only once per game. But as an alternative, the attempt would require occupying a rival's system (with no ships present) and paying 2 culture, 1 research and X production (= to Ascendancy level) to roll higher than your opponent's Ascendancy level. Early game this will be quite costly but mid-to-late game it could be used as a prelude to an offensive and put added value to turn order. There are times when it pays to bat last for counterattacks, but coups can lead to deadly offenses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm digging the concepts for Declare Rival and below. Simple to implement and thematically make sense. Worry about the Pacts and Alliances being too complicated, fiddly and adding too much to the game but do like the idea.

I can't understand why something like Offer Tribute isn't already in the base game. Just makes sense and is in a lot of other of these types of game. And just fun. devil Course that leads me to next question - are these binding or not? If they are what's the penalty? I'd vote for non-binding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hadaway
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Marinealver wrote:
For Non Aggression Pacts seems like a variaent the Eclipse Betrayal token, which could actually be a better mechanic. You have to have 6 Ascendancy with the Betrayal (or just conquer 2 homeworlds).

True, but the idea is to have a diplomatic option for both parties rather than an alternative way to win.

Quote:

Alliance I don't think should be broken for any reason other than player elimination. However losing a member to extermination/assimilation will cost the other players to discard an Ascendancy token (if not than that player is also eliminated for regression into a dark age).

Disagree, I think there always needs to be an option to break any diplomatic action, things change, and being locked into an alliance the entire game could be a hassle. Having a penalty to break it is the cost that reflects your poor diplomatic influence on the rest of the galaxy.

Quote:

I do wish there were more trade systems not only with the Cardassians but with Klingons and Romulans. However I do wish that there was a neutral/demilitarized zone set up using special space lanes. A Red space lane would constitute a neutral zone and planets connected to all red would be a demilitarized system (remove control nodes). Crossing into it could count as betrayal allowing you to return a trade agreement in committing an act of war, but not required as if you actually attacked someone. It would allow for a bit more saber rattling in the game.

That could be interesting mechanic for sure. How would you notate the DMZ? Just put a red icon/counter next to the lane?

Quote:

Declare Rival, well right now everyone is a rival and anyone that is not trading with you is an enemy. Not necessarily needed.

Yes everyone is a rival, perhaps this should be "declare Primary Rival" or "Preferred Rival". The idea here is to balance the other stuff out. If you are playing say a 5 player game, and 2 pairs have alliances and strong trade agreements and everyone wants to avoid you for whatever reason you will start lagging. This gives you a way to generate some sort of income to keep pace, especially in those games where one player is outcasted for whatever reason. Again though, you can only pick one player, so its not like you can declare rival on everyone.

Quote:

Tribute is simply trade and then you revoke yours without betrayal so if they don't revoke theirs then essentially they are giving you tribute (or visa verse).

True, but this also allows the tribute of Research in addition to production.

Quote:

Sabotage may be interesting but honestly and dare I say it I sort of wish for some heroes such as a hero ship or a hero personnel that could be attached to a ship or fleet. Sort of like TI-3rdEd ones.

Well those are my thoughts on them.

Hero ships could be cool, or perhaps a commander with a bonus to that fleet. That gets more into military actions and changes. I am attempting to increase the diplomatic options as that is where the game is lacking a bit IMO (only trade agreements).

How would you incorporate leaders? My thoughts would be you have to make a special cards that give the following to that fleet: +1 to hit, or +1 shields, or +1 impulse speed, +1 warp, +X to fleet size (equal to current ascendancy level), could do First Strike, Exploding 6's, reroll 1's, reroll misses, force enemy to reroll successful hits. There is a lot here. Just curious as to your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hadaway
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Darth Coupon wrote:
I'm digging the concepts here, one thing I've thought about are the numerous coup/assassination attempts (successful and unsuccessful) in ST, that all factions have undergone. To represent the political upheaval from the coup, a faction would spend half their command tokens, rounded up.

Ideally, each faction would have a project to this effect (including the Federation), that would cost five research and be used only once per game. But as an alternative, the attempt would require occupying a rival's system (with no ships present) and paying 2 culture, 1 research and X production (= to Ascendancy level) to roll higher than your opponent's Ascendancy level. Early game this will be quite costly but mid-to-late game it could be used as a prelude to an offensive and put added value to turn order. There are times when it pays to bat last for counterattacks, but coups can lead to deadly offenses.

Thats a good one.
Sabotage
Assassinate-Spend 1 command and X production equal to enemy ascension level
You exhaust half their command tokens rounded up until the next turn. Also consider the idea of more randomize results representing the skill of the assassin by rolling a dice.

Note: I edited the OP and added this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hadaway
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
UndraftU wrote:
I'm digging the concepts for Declare Rival and below. Simple to implement and thematically make sense. Worry about the Pacts and Alliances being too complicated, fiddly and adding too much to the game but do like the idea.

I can't understand why something like Offer Tribute isn't already in the base game. Just makes sense and is in a lot of other of these types of game. And just fun. devil Course that leads me to next question - are these binding or not? If they are what's the penalty? I'd vote for non-binding.

The Pacts and Alliances are semi binding, in that to break them you have to give up resources. Productions/culture/ascendancy etc...

Breaking/Changing a rival doesn't have a consequence bc your not gonna upset your rival more by not making him a rival. The consequence would be you cannot have any beneficial trade agreements or alliances with a rival. You are basically in a state of "cold War." So if you had a rival with 3 ascendancy, and then another players gets 4 ascendancy and you want to rival them, but you have a trade agreement and a non aggression pact. By rivaling them you would lose both those benefits and have to pay those penalties (but also gain the rivaling boost).

Sabotage just cost resources to carry out. The only issue is a player would know who is going to sabotage them. Perhaps try and incorporate some sort of secrecy into it by adding a short phase at the end of the players turn where that player leaves the room and everyone else decides if they want to sabotage the enemy. THis could make the game longer, and their is the trust issue of cheaters, so you may need a non player to act as judge. This is getting really complicated, but would be annoying to not know who is sabotaging you, especially if it turned out to be an "ally" "devil:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Orelj
Serbia
Inđija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you imagine these resources being paid in fiction? I understand the mechanical idea behind this and I want to support it, but how would this work fictionally?
You and I had a non-aggression pact and I broke it, so I lose resources cause I'm a dishonorable race? Others are wary of trading with me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a huge fan of binding peace treaties in diplomacy games.

I love free-trade rules though, so I'm a big fan of your Trade Planets and Offer Tribute rules.

Declare Rival's pretty interesting, I wonder how that would play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dynas wrote:

How would you incorporate leaders? My thoughts would be you have to make a special cards that give the following to that fleet: +1 to hit, or +1 shields, or +1 impulse speed, +1 warp, +X to fleet size (equal to current ascendancy level), could do First Strike, Exploding 6's, reroll 1's, reroll misses, force enemy to reroll successful hits. There is a lot here. Just curious as to your thoughts.

Well thinking similar Twilight Imperium style but the category dictates on where they are attached to in order to confer their bonus or special ability. Here is my idea of a set of categories for "hereos"

Captain - Attaches to a ship (cannot be part of a fleet)
Admiral - Attaches to a Fleet
Governor - Attaches to one of your Control Node (not at homeworld).
Scientist - Attaches to one of your Space Station.
Ambassador- Attaches to a Rival Control Node
Spy - Attaches to a Rival Space Station

So the 1st four are just to boost ships and your systems. I can imagine Gul Dukat as a Governer making a system give resources without the need of a ship/fleet. Where as Garak would be a Spy. Now with Ambassador I would have it confer a trade bonus between the the two but could also provide a culture discount for Hegemony purposes (both offensive and defensive bonuses). Spies kind of tricky (even trickier to get on a rival space station). I guess you could build a space station and let it get captured leaving the spy there or take a station drop the spy and retreat. I would try to use the spy as a double edge sword making it sort of a double agent, to entice friendly rivals to let the rivals spy in, much like how Ambassadors could be used for trade but also could be a risk if rival decides to simply annex the planet by political means.

I'll make a new thread on that. Right now I am still working on my Borg Player project and building a temporary Delta quadrant as a starting area for the Borg and a treasure quest for the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
[q="Dynas"]...

I would simplify that a notch. You assign a leader to a system, and based on his abilities the leader affects something in this system. It would keep in line with the "generalized" feel of the game. You can even explain it in-universe: because of transporters people can move very easily between planets, ships etc. within one system.

IMO if each leader has a card with a picture and abilities, and also a token with just his face (the size of a resource token) to place on a system disc, that would be perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hadaway
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Bloodymir wrote:
How do you imagine these resources being paid in fiction? I understand the mechanical idea behind this and I want to support it, but how would this work fictionally?
You and I had a non-aggression pact and I broke it, so I lose resources cause I'm a dishonorable race? Others are wary of trading with me?

Sorta. In a real world setting your trust factor/diplomatic influence with other nations would likely be tainted for a while. Look at the Soviet/German non aggression pact in WW2. Since there isnt really a way to do that, and I wanted a penalty, I had to use some sort of resource. I guess you could make it cost 1 culture or something to break. Its really open in the air. I am using Stellaris as a guide, and they have a resource called Influence, as well as a relations counter with other species, that doesn't really exist in ST:A so I have to use what we have.

Perhaps have the cost to break alliances as follows:
Non Aggression - 1 culutre
Defensive Pact - 1 culture per ascendancy level of ally
Alliance - 1 Ascendancy Token

This loss in culture would represent your nations distrust among others within the galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hadaway
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Marinealver wrote:
Dynas wrote:

Well thinking similar Twilight Imperium style but the category dictates on where they are attached to in order to confer their bonus or special ability. Here is my idea of a set of categories for "hereos"

With the Sabotage stuff I don't see the need for the Ambassador or spys.
The scientist seems off as well. I do like the Captain/Admiral and Governor. I would say the governor controls both space stations and or control nodes on planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Szatany wrote:
Marinealver wrote:
[q="Dynas"]...

I would simplify that a notch. You assign a leader to a system, and based on his abilities the leader affects something in this system. It would keep in line with the "generalized" feel of the game. You can even explain it in-universe: because of transporters people can move very easily between planets, ships etc. within one system.

IMO if each leader has a card with a picture and abilities, and also a token with just his face (the size of a resource token) to place on a system disc, that would be perfect.

Well the idea is sort of like the fleets is that they each have their own ability. The type of leader just what it is conected to in the game. But yeah a token an an exhaustible card is the idea of how it goes. I'm thinking of 4 leaders per civ and they are tied to Ascendancy (making a 4th Ascendancy token worth something). But just like Twilight Imperium no faction will have access to each leader type.

Dynas wrote:

With the Sabotage stuff I don't see the need for the Ambassador or spys.
The scientist seems off as well. I do like the Captain/Admiral and Governor. I would say the governor controls both space stations and or control nodes on planets.

Well to be blunt I think the problem lies within your sabotage proposal. For one Sabatoge is an act of war, not a diplomatic tool. An act of Sabatoge is grounds for severing diplomatic ties and even a declaration of war (which is the opposite of diplomacy). Now your sabotage idea could be incorporated as a spy special ability in a way. But my idea for the spies and ambassadors is that they are a double edge sword that the player who controls that system/station they are attached to can use them in their own way.

But yeah I didn't mean to railroad the thread. I hope that GF9 puts in some sort of Alliance system when the release the Vulcans and Andorians. That way you can make the "Federation" or even the mirror universe Alliance. It would seem wired with Cardassian Klingon Vulcan and Federation all in one game. Then again I have been a fan of Federationless games so I guess you could ban Fed as a house rule if it proves to be too much a problem. Or we can pretend the game is some ungodly mix of JJverse and Discovery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
I'm thinking of 4 leaders per civ and they are tied to Ascendancy (making a 4th Ascendancy token worth something). But just like Twilight Imperium no faction will have access to each leader type.
I agree that tying them to ascendancy levels is the way to go. I would make the characters be alive for only one asc. level. It's implied the game takes place over a span of centuries yes? It would make sense that characters aren't there for its entirety. Plus, then can be made more impactful since a player will have each leader for only 1/5th or so of the game.

Then you can give romulans and vulcans special ability that their leaders live for 2 asc. levels (because those races have long life spans compared to others.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Szatany wrote:
Marinealver wrote:
I'm thinking of 4 leaders per civ and they are tied to Ascendancy (making a 4th Ascendancy token worth something). But just like Twilight Imperium no faction will have access to each leader type.
I agree that tying them to ascendancy levels is the way to go. I would make the characters be alive for only one asc. level. It's implied the game takes place over a span of centuries yes? It would make sense that characters aren't there for its entirety. Plus, then can be made more impactful since a player will have each leader for only 1/5th or so of the game.

Then you can give romulans and vulcans special ability that their leaders live for 2 asc. levels (because those races have long life spans compared to others.)

I really wasn't thinking of giving them names because of that reason. This just represents where each civ wants to have a political focus on the map. After all an Ambasadore doesn't spend his entire life in one spot. They do want to move and advance their careers after all and a lifespan to be exact is nearly a single turn. The characters would just for Flavor (like Picard for Captain and Garak for Spy). They would have different abilities per their civilization. But it also brings up the question about how much creative access GF9 has with the IP. Box cover art and image stills for the rulebook may be the extent of the actors' likeness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmb
But if they are generic a huge opportunity has been lost. As a star trek fan I would hate it. (as a board gamer I wouldn't care too much)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Szatany wrote:
But if they are generic a huge opportunity has been lost. As a star trek fan I would hate it. (as a board gamer I wouldn't care too much)

Well they wouldn't be generic as a Federation Captain and a Klingon Captain do the exact same thing. But it wouldn't be this is Captain Picard. This is a Federation Ship with a Star Fleet Captain on a special assignment is the better way of looking at it. In a way a Federation Captain would make a ship the U.S.S. Enterprise with Captain Picard/Kirk/Archer/Pike/whomever.

So idea is you spend a command to deploy a leader (i.e. Attach a Captain to a ship). You can also spend a command to recall a leader assuming that no automatic recalls have came up (such as loss of a control node for a governor). Some ideas for examples of a Captain.

-Federation Captain (Picard): If this ship was going to be destroyed exhaust this leader to prevent that from happening.

-Romulan Captain (Tomalak): After making a 1st strike attack exhaust this leader to have this ship make a tactical retreat.

Admirals like Captains attach to fleets but also another way to spice up those boring B side fleets. Here are some examples

-Federation Admiral (Kirk-WoK): Increase Fleet capacity by 1 ship.

-Klingon or Romulan Admiral: You do not have to dissolve this fleet if it falls below three ships.

Governors can act as a way to defend systems of strengthen hold over a non-homeworld system. I like to think as putting them on the border kind of like how a border count would have a higher title than Barron because they were adjacent to a foreign kingdom thus higher responsibility.

-Cardasian Governor (Gul Dukat): this system produces resources even without a ship or fleet. When you recall (including automatic recalls) this leader you may destroy as many nodes as you want and receive 1 matching resource for each node destroyed in this system.

-Klingon Governor (General Martok): Increase this system's hegemony resistance by 1. During invasion combat add 1 combat die to your roll.

Scientist are probably the simplest in terms of concept. Place on Station, do science stuff (faster projects, more research).

-Federation Scientist (Spock): Gain 1 research at the star of your turn (I don't know I'm thinking of changing this or something).

-Romulan Scientist: Exhaust this leader to decrease the advancement cost of a project by 1 (faster research for romulans)

Now on to the more diplomatic leaders. These attach to rival systems thus they should have utility to both the leader's faction and to the rival faction they were attached to. However since these are in a rival's space a rival can exhaust a command token to deport (force a recall) these leaders.

Ambassadors are a friendly face but can make a system more vulnerable to Hegemoney.

-Federation Ambassador (Sarek): You or Attached Rival may exhaust this card to trade a number of tokens equal the number of tokens on the trade agreement you each hold regardless of type. Federation player does not need to pay culture to attempt hegemony in this system.

-Cardassian Ambasador: If recalled (or deported) you may switch control nodes with a system you control. You may immediately deploy the ambassador to that system. (Sort of like the crisis card, but I can see a nasty combo with the Cardassian Governor). Gain a culture token if you take system with a successful hegemony attempt.

Spies are more offensive in nature such as sabatoge but they are more like double edge sword since many spies often find themselves playing both sides to survive. Some rivals might let a spy stay because they can use it. Others might not want to waste a command to trigger the recall ability forcing you to spend a command instead.

-Romulan Spy (Subcomander Selok): Attached Rival may exhaust this card to stop one of your ships/fleets movement. If recalled you may take one research token from attached rival's incomplete project and place it on one of your incomplete projects. (I should probably make a rule that you cannot deploy and recall a leader on the same turn).

-Cardassina Spy (Garek) Attached Rival may exhaust this card to prevent deployment of any leader. You may exhaust this card to prevent recall (or deportation) of any leader.

Well those are some examples of an idea. I should make a different thread on this. However I think the leaders could provide new interactions between player especially the ones that go over to rivals systems/stations. You can make negotiations on how they would be used or even threaten use of said leader. New ways to spend commands as leaders will come and go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a lot to take in.

Can you show me a simple version of this? Lets say there are only admirals. How it works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Szatany wrote:
It's a lot to take in.

Can you show me a simple version of this? Lets say there are only admirals. How it works?

Admirals you spend a command to attach to a fleet. (Deploying Leader)
They give that fleet a bonus or an exhaustible ability. (Each Leader has a unique ability)
You can either spend a command to recall an admiral.
If the fleet is disbanded (going below 3 ships) the admiral is automatically recalled (no command spent).

Not every civ is going to have an admiral. I think the original 3 will have both an Admiral and a Captain. But I want to keep the leader composition varied for civ to civ.

Federation
*Admiral
*Captain
*Scientist
*Ambassador

Klingon
*Admiral
*Captain
*Govoner
*Spy

Romulan
*Admiral
*Captain
*Scientist
*Spy

and the Expansions

Cardassian
*Captain
*Govoner
*Ambasadore
*Spy

Ferengie
*Admiral
*Govoner
*Ambasadore
*Spy

I am not sure what I would do for Vulcans or Andorians considering we don't know what they can do. Vulcan is science race so definitely a scientist. Andorian are more militaristic so a governor would likely.

Vulcan
*Captain
*Govoner
*Scientist
*Ambasadore

Andorain
*Admiral
*Captain
*Govoner
*Ambasadore

Now the Ambassador and the Spy are more of the Diplomatic heroes because they attach to rival's systems but that is not to say you can't use the other heroes for some leverage (such as the Romulan Hit and Run Captain).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess I don't see a point of admirals because fleets already have abilities.
Governors, ambassadors, and ship captains sound much more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Szatany wrote:
I guess I don't see a point of admirals because fleets already have abilities.
Governors, ambassadors, and ship captains sound much more interesting.

Not if you flip the fleet card over. Federation is the only one with B-side abilities and the Federation Admiral I thought of just adding capacity for 1 more ship so it isn't really an adding ability as much as a single fleet upgrade. Klingon I have thought of allowing them to keep their fleet until every ship is gone forcing the Klingon Admiral to seek Stovokor or wait for the dishonorable recall (exhausting a command) if they want to flip sides. Just remember not every civ has an Admiral. There are 6 hero types and a civ only has 4 of them.

So you got 2 different type of heroes for units being the Ships and Fleets.
2 for friendly systems (Governor/Scientist)
and 2 for Rival Systems (Ambassador/Spy)

I still haven't worked out the deployment restrictions other than it cost a command. I think there should be some connection to where you want your hero to deploy (especially with the Ambassador and Spy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.