Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now listen, one thing about me is that I try to be humble in my criticisms, knowing that judging games is very subjective. I will always be as gracious as possible and end my statements with, “This game isn’t for me, but I could see these pluses about said game, and could see how others could like this one.” But not on today’s game! Even though I know people do like it. This is one of two to three games that I find to be awful. I hate it… Now it is possible that I could have let my emotions get the best of me, and I have built this up to be the worst game I have ever played. Once again, humble (Usually). But I will have to speak my mind on this one. I am talking Dungeons and Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil. This is the dungeon crawl I was telling you all about hating when I was talking about Descent 2.0. (See Geeklist Link Below)

So what were the creators of this D&D game system trying to accomplish when they created this game? They were trying to make a dungeon crawl without the requirement of a GM. What they made was co-op with limited decision making. Basically every turn you either don’t turn over a new tile and get an encounter, you flip over a tile and get more monsters, you flip over a tile and get an encounter, or you flip over a tile and get monsters and an encounter. These encounters are 90ish % bad. Almost every time you deal with an encounter you’re taking damage.

Because of this progression this game is basically run for the end as quick as possible while keeping the current monsters at bay. You fight everything with a D20, so the results are very swingy. I don’t mind a D20 in D&D the RPG, in fact I love it; but in this one, not a fan.

My problem with this game is, it is just a constant attempt to make it to the next tile, only to have more really bad crap come up. It doesn’t feel like any type of story or real dungeon crawl. It feels like a sucky, extra punishing, limited strategy co-op. I mean your choices are attack and move, with a little of which special power and item do I want to use. There is nothing here that I want to waste 30 minutes setting up for, 45 minutes to an hour and some change to play, and 20 minutes to tear down. I tried to push through for the story, but I just can’t.

So you guys might be pulling your hair out in frustration with me right now, saying, “Well, why is it on your shelf then you goof?” The answer is so simple. I paid probably about 40 bucks for this one about three years ago, and it came with a crap ton of miniatures, and some tiles that I could possibly use to build some maps for D&D one day. This was the second set of miniatures me and the wife painted after HeroQuest, and they go with the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign for D&D 5E, even though that campaign sucks too. I made it about 65% of the way through that campaign with my group and just made some stuff up to finish this one off. Way to repetitive of a module.

Anyways, back to the game at hand. Probably the worst game I have ever played. Boring, punishing, random, with no strategy. I’ll pass, but the box will stay for the miniatures and tiles that basically make up for most of the cost that I spent on the game.

And that is why it’s on my shelf. I almost don’t regret getting it. You see each miniature you buy separately is like 3 bucks. I got probably 40+ miniatures for 40 bucks. Good deal. Anyways. That’s it, terrible game, cool miniatures. Sorry to offend, back to humble me tomorrow.

Check out my Geeklist for other games on my shelf. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/why-its-my-shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Turn your brain off and enjoy the game. I think the design of the game is actually very ingenious, just the implementation is where everything falls very, very flat. And my gaming group agrees. We tried Ravenloft, then Ashardalon and that's about where they stopped and refused to play anymore.

I've found this game the most enjoyable with a much younger crowd, around the 12 to 14 year old range. They love it, but then again, they aren't looking for anything too sophisticated.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your perception of the game is colored by expectations. It is not a dungeon crawl, not a DnD without a GM. It's a coop game with a DnD theme, which can make people want to look at DnD, it's meant for somebody who has never played DnD.

Also, one thing I like about the system is how quick it is, I have not seen setup taking 10 minutes, it is always closer to 5. Also, the system is strange it includes many variants that you can use if you have previous games in the series, like random monster tokens, so not every tile is dangerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slobodon Ginfizz
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't know about all that. But one thing I do know: Rick Spray may be the humblest man I've never met!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the same way. I have all four on the shelf . I keep buying the new ones thinking "maybe they've made a better game" but it keeps being pretty much the same. I can't help but think there's a good game in there, just waiting for one or two little tweaks--and a lot more imagination--that would make the game more enjoyable...at least for me, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try, I actually don't succeed. But I do try and be humble when I assess games, understanding that different people like different things, and I could be missing something as I play. I fail quite regularly at my attempts to be humble. In fact, everytime I start to think I'm being humble, I'm actually being prideful about my humility.

Slobodon Ginfizz wrote:
Well, I don't know about all that. But one thing I do know: Rick Spray may be the humblest man I've never met!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You just got to give up on this one brother, unless you are using the minis. There are just so many better games to fill your shelves with.

madDdog67 wrote:
I feel the same way. I have all four on the shelf . I keep buying the new ones thinking "maybe they've made a better game" but it keeps being pretty much the same. I can't help but think there's a good game in there, just waiting for one or two little tweaks--and a lot more imagination--that would make the game more enjoyable...at least for me, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:
I can't help but think there's a good game in there

There is a brilliant game in there (I wrote a detailed article on the individual mechanics that make a great game atThe brilliance of Ravenloft), the problem is most of the games fall short in the implementation. I think Drizzt is the best of the original three (I haven't actually tried the last two) since it introduced some great changes to the game, like tiles that would make the map actually important, hero powers that allowed for more interesting choices like interrupts during the villains phases, encounters that weren't 100% punishing, etc.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aubrey Mills
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slobodon Ginfizz wrote:

There's only one thing for it then.
Cue guitars: https://youtu.be/RCyYuLQ7_Ws
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.