Zander Khan
msg tools
Hi,

My gaming group is a little confused about how instances of damage work in combination with link spells/Magus of Cloaks so I was hoping somebody could help clarify the rules. I have set out my interpretation below.

Under "Player Turn: 1 - Casting Phase", the rulebook states: "You choose the order in which you cast your spells."

Thoughtform Familiar states: "Deal 2 damage. Deal 1 additional damage for each of your other prepped spells."

My interpretation of this is that during the casting phase spells are explicitly cast one at a time, with each dealing it's damage and fully resolving before the next is cast. So for example, with two Thoughtform Familiars prepped in breaches 1 and 2 (and nothing else prepped):
1. First Thoughtform Familiar is cast and deals 3 damage - 2 plus 1 for the other one prepped.
2. Second Thoughtform Familiar is cast and deals 2 damage (no bonus as now no other spells are prepped).

Is this correct?

Next, when it comes to Magus of Cloaks, his player mat states "When Magus of Cloaks would be dealt damage, reduce that damage by the number of nemesis tokens he has. Then Magus of Cloaks loses one nemesis token."

Suppose we have the same two Thoughtform Familiars prepped, and Magus of Cloaks has three tokens.
1. First is cast, deals 3 damage reduced by 3 tokens = 0 damage. One token is removed.
2. Second is cast, deals 2 damage reduced by 2 tokens = 0 damage. Ordinarily one token would be removed, but under normal rules the Magus of Cloaks cannot have fewer than two tokens, so no change is made to the tokens.

Is this correct?

Finally, suppose we have link spells in play and we have two Fulminates prepped to breach 1, no other spells prepped. Fulminate states "While prepped, other spells you cast deal 1 additional damage. Link: Two spells with Link may be prepped to the same breach. Cast: deal 3 damage."

If we want to cast both, my interpretation is that they are cast one-by-one and not simultaneously:
1. First is cast, deals 3 damage plus 1 damage for the second Fulminate.
2. Second is cast, deals 3 damage.

If this was against a Magus of Cloaks with three nemesis tokens, then:
1. 4 damage is reduced by 3, thus 1 damage is dealt to Magus of Cloaks. He loses one nemesis token and now has two.
2. 3 damage is reduced by 2, thus 1 damage is dealt to Magus of Cloaks.

Effectively, the 'Link' ability only affects the fact that they can be prepped to the same breach, and has no effect on the casting of the spells.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That all sounds correct to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dowd
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That is exactly how we played things out recently. It made the most sense based on our understanding of the rules and the abilities of the cards. As often as we could, we used the linked spells to plink the Magus of Cloaks to keep his tokens at two. We prepped larger spells to actually do big damage hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You guessed it all right yes. Congratulations

Link only means you can prep another spell with Link in the breach you prep the first spell with Link in. Handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is 100% correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zander Khan
msg tools
Thanks everybody for the quick replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.