Subject: A disturbing trend in politics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/26/politics/hope-hicks-house-int...

Hicks, like Bannon, refusing to answer questions about her time after the inauguration. The job of Congress is oversight, and I think it's a slap in Congress' face, to ignore answering questions posed, simply because the answers may be inconvenient for the Trump administration. The Committees are run by the Repubs, but it goes against the grain of democracy, to let these willful violations stand.

Thes people should either invoke executive privilege, plead the 5th, or answer all the questions posed, under subpoena, and with the possibility of perjuring themselves. It is an absolute disgrace, that the Republican leaders would NOT call for exactly that. It sets a BAD precedent, for the future, and the ability of Congress to be taken seriously, as an oversight body.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A distrubing trend in politics
If the collusion investigation goes south this stuff will be the wood the GOP is pilloried on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A distrubing trend in politics
The House Intelligence Committee is a farce anyway.

Mueller is the only shot at some version of reality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just about everything in politics these days is disturbing, use better titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Counterpoint: Congressional hearings are a waste of time and do nothing but give grandstanding time to congresscritters. Eliminate them all.

Putting it another way, I'm not sure I believe Congress' job is oversight.. and even it if is, these hearings have everything to do with politics and nothing to do with oversight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have the option to put them in jail for contempt of congress. And republicans running the committee told democrats on the committee they would use it before the bannon hearing.

But I guess the republicans running the show realize they are so contemptible it would be an unfair charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
The only worthwhile Congressional hearing:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
They have the option to put them in jail for contempt of congress.

nah, they can only turn it over to the DOJ. I doubt Sessions would prosecute for this since he did the same thing to the same committee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
I'm not sure I believe Congress' job is oversight..

I think they do a pretty bad job of it, but if not them, then who?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
but if they find any of them guilty can't we have the whole of the gop charged for treason - ie aiding and abetting the enenemy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
They have the option to put them in jail for contempt of congress.

nah, they can only turn it over to the DOJ. I doubt Sessions would prosecute for this since he did the same thing to the same committee.

They can't even do that unless they subpoena the witness first, which Nunes is refusing to even contemplate, let alone put it up for a vote in the committee.

The House Intel Committee has lost all credibility unless you're a massive partisan for the GOP. Nunes has managed to turn it into a spin/fabrication factory and he hasn't even had the guts to review the materials that he's using to lie. It's truly astonishing to see the GOP leadership allow such a critical committee to the security of the country become such a farce. If they came out tomorrow and all said that they had evidence of a country doing something that required a response, who would believe them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.