Popular Tags: [View All]
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

We recently got hooked with my wife for the game, and I managed to trade the core game with a booster of each of the Epic series + Events + Colony.

So I'd say we're set for some fun already cool But a friend told me that the boosters should come in more than one copy to make a balanced pool of cards.

I didn't see it as necessary, and initially planned on getting once each of the United boosters, but has what he says some value ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not need more than one copy of the boosters (B&B, F&F, Heroes, United, Gambits, Cosmic Gambits). They are meant to be played as single packs added on to the core sets (Vanilla, CW). There is no "collectible" aspect to the game where you need multiple copies of the boosters.

As to creating a balanced pool of cards, some of these sets like Heroes, United, and Gambits add new mechanics to the game that add volatility and complexity to the game, so I would suggest waiting until you are comfortable with the core before adding them in.

Personally, I would play the sets and boosters in this order:

1) Core game
2) Core game + B&B + F&F
3) Core game + B&B + F&F + Heroes/Gambits (optional, many players don't prefer Gambits)
5) Colony wars
6) Colony wars + Core game + B&B + F&B
7) Colony wars + Core game + B&B + F&B + Heroes/Gambits (optional)
8) Everything, adjust seasonings to taste

Of course, you can add the boosters however you like. If you like to live dangerously, there's no reason you couldn't just add them all in and play "big deck" format from the get go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools

The idea was that each expansion requires only one copy for two players.

However, if you want to buy more copies, I for one am not prepared to stop you.

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you definitely don't need more then one of a given booster, they are intended to only have one in the game. This isn't like a collectible game where you buy multiple copies per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Dolloff
msg tools
mbmbmb
Part of the fun is when a strong or exciting cards come up in the marketplace. It’s the only copy so you don’t see it frequently and you know it won’t show up again this game so both players will race to buy it. Feels so fulfilling when you’re able to draft that card and then pull it out for a beating on subsequent turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers, everyone

I got the non-collectible aspect from the game laugh After 24 years of Magic: The Gathering, I tend to recognize those games

I was just curious as it was maybe about a balance aspect, if you just kept adding more and more cards to the deck. After all, some might get lost in the process.

HomerJr wrote:
Personally, I would play the sets and boosters in this order:

1) Core game
2) Core game + B&B + F&F
3) Core game + B&B + F&F + Heroes/Gambits (optional, many players don't prefer Gambits)
5) Colony wars
6) Colony wars + Core game + B&B + F&B
7) Colony wars + Core game + B&B + F&B + Heroes/Gambits (optional)
8) Everything, adjust seasonings to taste

Of course, you can add the boosters however you like. If you like to live dangerously, there's no reason you couldn't just add them all in and play "big deck" format from the get go.

Thanks for the list ! That's something to keep in mind acually. We have already played with the Core + B&B + F&F; we kept the rest apart as it didn't seem like a good idea at that moment to add them all. I like the idea of Gambits, personnaly ; always loved the "aside" fun cards in MtG like the Planecards and Archenemy, so Gambits are something and my wife will use

What do you people think of the Scenarios - and United ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not advised for tournament or competitive play, but I have one of everything and just mix it in for one giant deck. Sure it can be a little random, but when playing casually, I like to see variety and it’s nice when your deck looks distinctively different than your opponents...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vito Gesualdi
msg tools
mbmb
I concur with afrag on the "giant pile of everything you have" style of play. I keep a longbox with all my cards mixed together and just pull out a stack and play. If I decide I don't want to play with heroes or events or something, we just replace them when the come up in the trade row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VitoGesualdi wrote:
I concur with afrag on the "giant pile of everything you have" style of play. I keep a longbox with all my cards mixed together and just pull out a stack and play. If I decide I don't want to play with heroes or events or something, we just replace them when the come up in the trade row.

Exactly the way we're gonna play It's even possible to just do the same for any extension you don't want to play, as the extensions are all identified by icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl P (Chazzmo)
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VitoGesualdi wrote:

How do you possibly shuffle all the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mash mash mash mash mash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chopsueycop wrote:
VitoGesualdi wrote:

How do you possibly shuffle all the cards?

I shuffle them thoroughly when I add a new expansion. After that, just grab a stack and play. When done with the game, I take the used cards and a stack equal in size in the box and shuffle them together and put them back in the box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.