Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Batman: Gotham City Chronicles» Forums » General

Subject: Conan owners: are you getting rid of your game when going for Batman? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mirko Cano
France
Nice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

Just curious. With Batman and the planned Conan 2.0, will you get rid of your Conan box/es? Or they can coexist in your games library?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be keeping Conan. Such a quality game, it doesn't get played enough but the Conan theme is so cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mirkocano wrote:
Hello all,

Just curious. With Batman and the planned Conan 2.0, will you get rid of your Conan box/es? Or they can coexist in your games library?

Of course I’ll be keeping it. I’m not one of those gamers that ignores theme and only cares about mechanics.

Also Conan 2.0 won’t be on KS until 2019, which means it won’t be in our hands until 2020 at the earliest. Batman’s scheduled for April 2019, which is also far away. Seems a bit premature to get rid of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Conan pledge that I'd love to get rid of, not because of Batman, but because my painting backlog is mountainous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, player count went down to 4 so I'm not even considering backing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The next Conan game should be backwards compatible, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
The next Conan game should be backwards compatible, right?
The nerdrage that would ensue if they did not, would awaken Cthulhu!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already ;ack shelf space, but I will make room for Batman and for Hellboy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Conan miniatures are great and I can use them in the Modiphius Conan RPG and some generic fantasy RPGs. I also expect that Conan King KS backers will have more of them compared to Batman base pledge KS backers.

Definitely looking forward to Mythic's Solomon Kane, though!

EDIT: Also, of course, BATMAN vs. CONAN. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Nope love the Conan game. In fact after looking at the batman kickstarter today. I'm going to pass on batman ks. To much much money to drop for a reskin and a few updates on rules. Don't need both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Because Conan is an awesome IP. There's room in my collection for both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm keeping it. The art style of the batman game is a turn off for me.
On the player boards the heroes don't evoke the comic style I was anticipating. Batman is a pass for me but my wallet is very happy right now. I spared it a massive beating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will keep Conan and skip Batman. There is already the Batman Miniature Game out there and it has fantastic minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Wickham
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Nope! I love the theme and even though my backlog is crazy and there just isn't enough time in a day to play boardgames, I will be keeping it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Wickham
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
DancingFool wrote:
mirkocano wrote:
Hello all,

Of course I’ll be keeping it. I’m not one of those gamers that ignores theme and only cares about mechanics.

Also Conan 2.0 won’t be on KS until 2019, which means it won’t be in our hands until 2020 at the earliest. Batman’s scheduled for April 2019, which is also far away. Seems a bit premature to get rid of games.

Also......Conan 2.0?! Where is the glorious info about this located?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Malo
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream I dream alone is reality.
badge
When I cease to dream, you cease to exist.
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably will. I love the Conan IP, but I only have room for one 1 vs all game in my collection and as it stands, I'll have a much easier time getting Batman to the table than Conan.

It saddens me but I only have the retail version, so it's not that bad I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nk Ed
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The artwork in Conan is too good to not keep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wickdawg01 wrote:
DancingFool wrote:
mirkocano wrote:
Hello all,

Also......Conan 2.0?! Where is the glorious info about this located?

Go to the-Overlord.net if you want to stay in the loop. That’s Monolith’s official forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up a huge Batman fan and didn't really know much about Conan outside of the movies. That being said, I can't justify jumping into Batman when I have all of this Conan stuff and have just barely scratched the surface, especially when they are essentially the same game. I think the Conan theme is also a little more enticing to my game group as well. If I do decide to get Batman, there's no way I'm getting rid of my Conan stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's odd to me because the box cover art for batman is absolutely gorgeous. It spans across a building top with heroes on one side and villains on the other side. It should be hung on a wall. However, then I look at the art on the player cards, equipment, and hero boards and it was clearly done by a different artist. The equipment cards look like they were done in some old school computer-aided design program.

I am wonder, was it (1) that they couldn't get the rights to the comic art or having (2) comic book drawn art would be too expensive or (3) that is just the direction they decided to go. It seems really jarring. I hope the game does well.

The Conan (High Fantasy) theme is more palatable to my game group who also do D&D. They are casual comic book geeks so if I said Jervis Tetch has a bomb they would be like...Who?!

Imagine if there was an X-men Monolith game. Now that would be awesome. Granted that again, the art was done right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Although I love the Batman world a ton more then Conan, Conan game just seems to be a better experience.

Batman Chronicles is all about - more mini's!! Seems like the main selling point is "DC heroclix" from Monolith!!!

(But, this will sell like hotcakes though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
No. Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be really tempted to sell.my Conan stuff for Batman, for a number of reasons:

1. I'm more in sync with the Batman IP stuff than the "dirty" fantasy of Conan.

2. I assume (and a quick scan of Batman's initial rules bears this out) that some of Conan's rough edges have been smoothed out with tweaks and updates.

3. The ability to play Versus mode adds a lot to play possibilities, I think. ...though you could probably kludge together a rules port for Conan, but that's likely some work.

4. If Batman has found a reliable way to plug in all the content offered into more than just one or two scenarios, I'd say it's a superior system. Conan's inability to give any guidance on how to substitute heroes, villains, items, magic spells, or really anything outside scripted scenarios still rankles me.

5. I really can't currently afford to have two expensive versions of the same game on my shelf--so if Batman, then no Conan.

But I probably won't. Conan does have a campaign (which I've yet to even delve into), and I'd like to at least try a few missions. And, at least two folks I know are in for Batman KS, whereas I'm the only one I know with Conan.

I'll prolly just $1 pledge and see if my financial picture changes before the PM closes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mbmbmb
Keep them both for sure. I didn't get rid of Legendary Alien when I bought Legendary Predator. Just because they are the same system, doesn't mean they are the same game.

I'll play Conan when I want to run up to monsters and hit them with a big sword and Batman when I want to skulk in the shadows avoiding gunmen and defusing bombs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.