Doctor Who: Time of the Daleks» Forums » General

Subject: Increase the Difficulty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game yet... deciding if it's for me.

Main complaint I read is it's too easy - especially if, like me, you plan to play solo/coop.

So... I see the dilemma challenges don't require the dice color to be the same.

So (again), what about making the dilemma require not only same symbol, but same color ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have to make black dice wild, of course. Working purely from memory, that would make 1/3 of the faces of every non-black die useless, since the symbols always refer to the 'feature' dice... That seems a bit excessive, not to mention making a lot of the game redundant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, hadn't thought that one through, where the challenge is in the symbols and your chances are improved/reduced based on the percentile dice (different color) you have. (not sure I follow the redundant statement though)

Even if we could make just the symbols on the dilemma card part require set colors, then both black and colored dice have their place while upping the challenge.

Yes / No ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wrong, only 1 face on each die would be redundant - because there's one face on each which is never referred on a dilemma. Each die has 3 of one symbol, two of another, and a single which won't match any dilemma by colour, but will by symbol.

Now, 1 face on each isn't as bad as I thought... it might work. Essentially each non-black die would have one 'blank' face. Might be too difficult, might not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See, my mistake was that I didn't trust my first thought, hahaha

Well, both could be tested. I like just the dilemma card symbols requiring the color match - more thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you read this thread: Too Easy?

My recommendation was "It seems that the easiest way to amp up the challenge would be through the Time Anomaly markers. Move them up to trigger earlier on the Time Track. Decrease the turns between them. Add the fifth marker (the use of which is never mentioned in the rule book). You could even start with one in play!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could globally reduce the dice pool across the board. Or start with some Daleks placed on earth/other planets.

Lots of easy ways to add difficulty in different ways. Which is a good thing I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Haught
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
One of the ways we tested to up the Difficulty was to increase the Dalek Ship movement from one to two spaces on their turn.

Another way is to add a fifth Time Anomaly token to the Web of Time Tracker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Data Laughing
msg tools
Also? I can kill you with my brain.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion for increasing difficulty is taking the Time Anomaly card "The Chase" and making it permanent, with the exception that instead of giving up your moves as tokens toward getting rid of the card, the Doctors have to give up 1 or 2 moves to push the Dalek ship back.

So the Dalek ship gets to move twice as fast. It gives all the doctors a reason to want to stay away from the Dalek ship or strategically manipulate its moves to hit another Doctor (because it takes away equipment cards). It also increases the need to cooperate while at the same time making the Doctor in the lead very aware of the balance they need to strike between helping to keep the Dalek ship at bay and working to maintain/exploit his position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my rambling thoughts on the "ease" of the game, and "fixing" it.

First, the game starts getting easier because the Doctors start succeeding, which becomes even easier the more you succeed, and that seems to correspond to how well the Doctor and his Companions synergize.

The beginning of the game, when the Doctor is first starting to build up his companions, is when he is usually most vulnerable to failing, and is when you do the majority of getting aid from your fellow Doctors. The , once you've got the correct balance of Doctor and Companions, as the game has progressed along, it just becomes harder to fail.

So, one thing that makes sense, for gameplay and theme, is having the Companions either occasionally be discarded or inactive for a round or two.

Perhaps a countdown system, which starts when the Doctor has a full complement of Companions, forcing the Doctor to either only have two permanent Companions, and the third being recruited and used and dismissed before "getting their key" and therefore delaying the countdown.

Just my early morning, first cup of Joe for the day, thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.