Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
97 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: It feels odd that I've never played... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
... The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon

Over the years I've been in plenty of gaming situations where 7+ people have decided to play a big group game.
I've played Captain Sonar, Werewolf, Concept, Codenames, 7 Wonders, Apples to Apples, Secret Hitler, Saboteur, Roborally and plenty more in big groups.

Yet for some reason I've never been in a group which has settled upon playing The Resistance, despite it often being available and one of the most popular for that player count.
I'm not desperate to play it, just surprised it's never happened sometime over the years.

Do other people have games they would have expected to have played by now - but somehow it's never occurred?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Euros. I've never played Agricola
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gnarlo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
LESS FILLING
badge
Guy Smiley
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan. It is arguably the board game that started the entire modern board game world, and I've never played it.

Feel kind of like enjoying rock music and never having heard the Beatles or Rolling Stones
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played Puerto Rico
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Love Euros. I've never played Agricola

Same.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's quite a few newer games I probably should have played by now, but I'm patient.

The biggest hole in my boardgaming experience is probably Acquire. I love euro games. I love economic games. I love stock market games and I've never played the grandaddy of them. Convincing people to play a game made in the 60s can be difficult.

13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andi sea
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid. I really want to try it but have never had the chance. It doesn’t help that most of my gaming is two-player and I’ve heard it’s not great at two. The few times I’ve played with a bigger group, it hasn’t come out.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGnarlo wrote:
Catan. It is arguably the board game that started the entire modern board game world, and I've never played it.

Feel kind of like enjoying rock music and never having heard the Beatles or Rolling Stones :)


I tend to assume that any keen boardgamer will have played Catan, but I have occasionally been surprised by someone saying they haven’t.

I play Catan less these days, but I’ve played it to many times to count over the years.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Let's have a look at the most popular games on the geek.

Out of the top 50, I've never played: Agricola, Race for the galaxy, stone age, lords of waterdeep, arkham horror, the resistance, terra mystica, battlestar galactica, scythe, betrayal at house on the hill, dominion: intrigue, caylus, galaxy trucker, android: netrunner, eclipse, and terraforming mars.
About 1 in 3: Not sure where that puts me

For anyone interested, here's a list of the top 50 most voted games on the geek as of today:

The Settlers of Catan
Carcassonne
Pandemic
Dominion
7 Wonders
Ticket to Ride
Agricola
Puerto Rico
Small World
Power Grid
King of Tokyo
Love Letter
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Citadels
Codenames
Race for the Galaxy
Splendor
Dixit
Stone Age
Lords of Waterdee
Munchkin
Arkham Horror
Bohnanza
Forbidden Island
Twilight Struggle
The Castles of Burgundy
7 Wonders Duel
Lost Cities
The Resistance
Terra Mystica
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Hanabi
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
Scythe
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Patchwork
Magic: the Gathering
Dominion: Intrigue
Coup
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
Risk
Takenoko
Caylus
Star Realms
Alhambra
Jaipur
Galaxy Trucker
Android: Netrunner
Eclipse
Terraforming Mars
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Doh! I was looking for that odd one, but it turns out I’ve played all 50 of those. Thanks for the list.

Edit: looking at the full list - it feels odd I’ve never played #57 Cosmic Encounter
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic: The Gathering
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe less surprising, but I have never played

Magic: The Gathering

Fantasy is my favorite genre. I like card games.

Perhaps it is because I have never been exposed to it by anyone (plus, I do not like collectible games - mostly).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jujulautre wrote:
Let's have a look at the most popular games on the geek.

Out of the top 50, I've never played: Agricola, Race for the galaxy, stone age, lords of waterdeep, arkham horror, the resistance, terra mystica, battlestar galactica, scythe, betrayal at house on the hill, dominion: intrigue, caylus, galaxy trucker, android: netrunner, eclipse, and terraforming mars.
About 1 in 3: Not sure where that puts me

For anyone interested, here's a list of the top 50 most voted games on the geek as of today:

The Settlers of Catan
Carcassonne
Pandemic
Dominion
7 Wonders
Ticket to Ride
Agricola
Puerto Rico
Small World
Power Grid
King of Tokyo
Love Letter
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Citadels
Codenames
Race for the Galaxy
Splendor
Dixit
Stone Age
Lords of Waterdee
Munchkin
Arkham Horror
Bohnanza
Forbidden Island
Twilight Struggle
The Castles of Burgundy
7 Wonders Duel
Lost Cities
The Resistance
Terra Mystica
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Hanabi
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
Scythe
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Patchwork
Magic: the Gathering
Dominion: Intrigue
Coup
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
Risk
Takenoko
Caylus
Star Realms
Alhambra
Jaipur
Galaxy Trucker
Android: Netrunner
Eclipse
Terraforming Mars


Of all these I have only played consistently Magic: The Gathering, Scythe and Star Realms, ocasionally Risk, once The Settlers of Catan and only in app form Dominion, Pandemic, Carcassone and Patchwork, but I am perfectly fine with it. I don't feel the need to play every popular game or every classic, especially if I am not interested in the theme and aesthetics of the game.

I guess as an exclusively solo gamer it feels odd I've never played Friday, for example, or most solo-only games (other than Onirim, which I am not crazy about), but I find they rarely match my thematic and component quality preferences.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Terra Mystica
Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I love that there's so many great games I haven't played; both those that are in the spotlight and those that are obscure. My collection is always different from others' collections. And, any new people I sit down to play with means I'll likely get to share my favorites and experience theirs.

Not odd at all to me.

~V
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sixstrings4one wrote:

ryan_c_byrd wrote:
Maybe less surprising, but I have never played

Magic: The Gathering

Fantasy is my favorite genre. I like card games.

Perhaps it is because I have never been exposed to it by anyone (plus, I do not like collectible games - mostly).


If your wallets could speak, they'd thank you profusely. whistle

~V
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels odd that I've never played ... Dungeon Petz. Just never had an opportunity.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:


That is pretty odd. I mean, it’s already been out for a few months, what you been doing? On my list to try soon when I can organizeenough people for a game day.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Mis
United States
Somerset
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels odd that I've never played Civilization
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sixstrings4one wrote:


From a 7 year sober former addict you did yourself a favor
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
...enough games.

Pete (has played so many and it's still not enough!)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride, after 5 years in the hobby still haven’t played.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Avatar
Myth Considering how long I've had it and how much money I dumped into it modest There's been a couple of really good video play through series coming out recently though so I think I'm building up momentum to actually try it... just need to find/make time now though
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
fh13 wrote:
Myth Considering how long I've had it and how much money I dumped into it modest There's been a couple of really good video play through series coming out recently though so I think I'm building up momentum to actually try it... just need to find/make time now though


Really? I don’t know much about it past skimming Rahdo’s video, but this is commonly noted in passing in the forums as a prime example of an overhyped Kickstarter box that’s missing a game inside. Hope you’re not disappointed when you get it to the table!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.