Subject: First two games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Zuber Jr
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I bought Mystic Vale in the second half of 2016 and have all of the expansions (bought the second and third expansion last week). Despite that, I have never played it. Until last night.

I was interested in playing, but free time was at a premium. My wife and I were both going through our last year as teachers before retiring and this was compounded by my being in an accident while riding my road bike. The game just sat gathering dusk. Since we are retired now and I have recovered, I have been looking at several different games we could play together, but nothing has stuck for her as she either did not like the theme (Arkham Horror LCG) or was too complex (L5R LCG). A little over a week ago, though, I stumbled across the announcement for the Edge of Darkness Kickstarter, which had caught my eye when I first bought the Mystic Vale core set. And it was then I remembered this game and thought it might possibly be something my wife would enjoy.

So, last night we played our first game, and I was hesitant, fearing she would again reject it. She was a good sport and listened as I, as a novice myself, tried to explain it. We both started playing and she quickly caught on, even telling me to stop explaining things and let her think! (I took that as a very good sign.)

She beat me soundly last night, but, as we unsleeved cards, she was talking about enjoying the game. I also mentioned the film over the advancements and that they would eventually loosen so we could remove them. This morning, she proceeds to remove ALL of the film! (Again, another positive sign.) She then continued to talk about the game.

Tonight, she asked if I wanted to play again, which, of course, I did! We played a tight game, but this time I squeaked out a win, both taking very different paths toward victory points.

The bottom line is that the game has not only me as a fan, but my wife as well, and she is no easy sell. She loves the art and finds the clear advancements for crafting to be clever. Very, very cool that she took to it so well and look forward to more games with her in the future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful story. I have a similar one with my wife. MV might be her favorite game, though her and I right now would likely still list Dominion as our favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Mystic Vale did not win me over but I want to love that game. It felt like it was missing "something", though I don't know what that is. I hope maybe the expansions will help and I hope to try it again soon.

I just played Custom Heroes last week with the same card crafting and same designer. It was great! Has got me intrigued about Mystic Vale again now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lubomirvaic wrote:
Nice! Mystic Vale did not win me over but I want to love that game. It felt like it was missing "something", though I don't know what that is. I hope maybe the expansions will help and I hope to try it again soon.

I just played Custom Heroes last week with the same card crafting and same designer. It was great! Has got me intrigued about Mystic Vale again now.

By any chance, have you played with the latest two expansions (Vale of the Wild and Mana Storm)? The leaders and the mana tokens really change up the game and make it much more interesting. Plus there's new advancements that change the kinds of strategies you can implement.

Also +1 for Custom Heroes, it's so accessible and easy to pick up for my group of friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dancey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This is why AEG makes games. This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you'll get to enjoy this good couple game together
I didn't remove the film myself, I like how it protects the art. It holds reasonably well after 20 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
John, awesome story! I love hearing that. I hope you guys continue enjoying! Like Ryan said, this is why we make games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Zuber Jr
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdancey wrote:
This is why AEG makes games. This.

You can consider your mission thoroughly accomplished with this couple! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Zuber Jr
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnDClair wrote:
John, awesome story! I love hearing that. I hope you guys continue enjoying! Like Ryan said, this is why we make games.

John, I am pretty sure we will continue to enjoy Mystic Vale, and, hopefully, Edge of Darkness when it drops. I pledged early Tuesday at the Guildmaster level, and our experience here so far makes me hopeful for that as well.

One other thought about this game: what I like about it is that I think the core, even without the new mechanics and cards the expansions offer, is deceptively easy, meaning the rules are fairly straightforward, but the interaction and options the player has are rich. I can already see that. I liken this to what I consider the best literature. Writers of these pieces present what appear to be straightforward stories, but ones that have multiple levels of depth for the reader to interpret, which is why I love Ernest Hemingway.

Mystic Vale evokes a similar feeling for me! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.