Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Keil
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have painted games before and just played with the pieces after the painting was done with no issues. For Rising Sun i changed to Vallejo paint which i recently discovered and loved. The issue i am having is that the paint seems to rub off on some of the edges. Is there a sealer that you guys use to keep this from happening or what can i do? I have seen some different sealers but i'm afraid they will change the look of the paint jobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's plenty of choices for sealing, personally I use Vallejo airbrush varnishes, but unlike primers, you can't really make actual mistakes there.

Most people prefer using matte varnishes, and since most standard colours will dry matte anyway you won't get much change in looks. Now personally I like to use gloss varnish whenever it's supposed to be a shiny material (plastic, metals etc) because it makes those sections pop. In either case, throwing another coat on top of an existing varnish will change it's look to the new type, so if any one option doesn't work out, you can just throw on a different type and it'll work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I personally like to use Testors Dullcote spray.
Nice matte finish that doesn't change the look of the paint and you can then use a paint on gloss sealer to highlight shiny areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lindhé
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sjtham wrote:
...Testors Dullcote spray...

Same here, Testors Dullcote for a nice matte finish! Never looked back once I found it! See my contributions for a few example miniatures - all sealed with Testors, and in some cases glossed up afterwards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christof
Germany
Hirschberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
There's plenty of choices for sealing, personally I use Vallejo airbrush varnishes, but unlike primers, you can't really make actual mistakes there.

That's so wrong. Priming is far more forgiving. You can completely ruin your paint-job with the wrong varnish or method.
For example, there seem to be certain batches of different varnishes (Valejo or GW both had these issues) that don't dry transparent but give your models a frosted look (I use the home-brand from OBI which is said to be good). This can also happen if you make mistakes. For example if the temperature is too low (at the moment in Germany it is way too cold to spray outside) or too high or if the air is too humid (don't spray with varnish if it's raining) or if you haven't really thoroughly shaken the can (rule of thumb: shake as long until your arm falls off, then repeat with the other arm). You can also ruin your paint-job if you put on too much varnish (especially if you do it in one go, it's better to spray various (but also not too many) thin layers than one thick one). Another important information is that gloss varnish protects the color underneath way better than matte varnish, so many people put on one or two layers of gloss varnish first (which is also more forgiving than matte varnish) and then dull the glossiness down again with two or three layers of matte varnish (one layer normally is not enough to kill the glossiness from the gloss varnish).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sjtham wrote:
use Testors Dullcote spray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Testors is probably the way to go based on the number of recommendations I've read. I have Army Painter Anti-Shine Matte Varnish. If I didn't have a couple cans of this maybe I'd use Testors. Seems to get the job done though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Keil
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give testors a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.