Hide
11 Posts

Victory At Sea Redux» Forums » Rules

Subject: Turn of entry for the Fallschirmjäger rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adin Pal
msg tools
Rulebook says 3, OOB says 2. Normally I would go with the rulebook, but acting the idea the the unit was used to occupy Norway on Turn 0 I could see a case being made for it entering on 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen A
United States
Brooklyn
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paladin1235 wrote:
Rulebook says 3, OOB says 2. Normally I would go with the rulebook, but acting the idea the the unit was used to occupy Norway on Turn 0 I could see a case being made for it entering on 2.

Sorry not to have an answer to your question, but what is the function of Fallschirmjäger in the game, aren't they paratroopers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adin Pal
msg tools
They are the German Marine Unit, it is supposed to represent a combination of German airborne and Italian marines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies. The pic in the rules - and on the counter itself - indicating a T3 entry for the Fsjr was based on a previous version of the rules, and it slipped past me when I changed the OOB. Turn 2 is correct, both for the reason given by Adin, and also the invasion of Crete took place during T2, so there were obviously some paras available at that point. And yes, the unit represents a combination of paras and amphibs, German on T0, and Italian on T2+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen A
United States
Brooklyn
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OldPhartWargamer wrote:
And yes, the unit represents a combination of paras and amphibs, German on T0, and Italian on T2+.

Ok, so the counter is German up to T2, and starting on T3 it is Italian, like a frogman unit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahdvitp wrote:
Ok, so the counter is German up to T2, and starting on T3 it is Italian, like a frogman unit?

No, the Fsjr counter is always considered German, and always functions as an amphibious unit, despite its actual historical makeup. 10MAS (the frogmen) is functionally identical to a U-Boat, and is always Italian. The only time it will make any real difference, since the same player controls both, is after an Italian surrender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen A
United States
Brooklyn
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OldPhartWargamer wrote:
No, the Fsjr counter is always considered German, and always functions as an amphibious unit, despite its actual historical makeup.

Ok. It sounds like there are amphibious invasions in the European theater in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but there are only a few legitimate targets. Unless you are playing T0, there is basically Malta and Tripoli; ownership of both by the Allies is necessary to trigger the possibility of Italian surrender. Panama and Simonstown are by rule invadable, but there is no way to get the Fsjr there. Technically, the IJN could do so, but that kind of force commitment would mean either the Allies have already been beaten, or the USN is about to run amok because you left the back door wide open.

Please note on my earlier comment: I forgot to mention the slight difference in the order of operations for the Fsjr (see 13.7). Yes, it captures green bases just like any other amphib, but it moves/attacks at the same time as German LBA units.

Example: During LBA placement, the German player deploys the Fsjr and several LBA to the Western Med. At the start of combat in the area, he declares an LBA attack on a base, and moves the Fsjr plus another two LBA from the Western Med sea area onto Malta, which is Allied controlled and also occupied by the Tiger convoy. The two LBAs roll a hit, but fail to eliminate Tiger. Fsjr and Tiger then eliminate each other, using normal amphib procedure. Had Tiger been eliminated by the LBA, Fsjr would have converted the base to German control. In either case, both LBAs would return to base and take no further part in combat, except as a possible target for later air raids. Play then continues to normal first-round combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen A
United States
Brooklyn
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OldPhartWargamer wrote:
Yes, but there are only a few legitimate targets.

Is Norway invadable by the Axis and/or Allies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adin Pal
msg tools
Norway starts as an allied base on turn 0 and can be invaded by the Germans, but once captured it becomes part of Germany just like in normal War at Sea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paladin1235 wrote:
Norway starts as an allied base on turn 0 and can be invaded by the Germans, but once captured it becomes part of Germany just like in normal War at Sea.

Almost. Norway is not usable as an Allied base during optional T0 (see 20.3). And if you start with T1, it is already captured by Germany and thus considered an integral part of Germany as in WAS (see 2.52, 20.3).

Just going to throw this out there...

Suppose the Italians are able to declare war on T0 per 20.5. It may be worth it to ignore Norway and go after Malta right away, thus splitting the Med. If the German is willing to rely on his supply ships instead of Norway for mobility, and risk a much easier blockade... The Brits might never get a good offensive going in the Med and Italians could rack up a pretty good slug of VP, to say nothing of actually surviving the war. Mare Nostrum, anybody?

I saw it work in one of the playtests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.