Subject: "Search the deck for..." rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Powell
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hey all,

Just wanted to poll how everyone else handles this. When you have a card that says "Search the deck for a _____", are you allowed to search for a specific card of that type, or just the first one?

The rulemonger in me says that it's the former, but when you have a deck that has all the expansions, searching through and then re-shuffling that huge stack of cards can be so time-consuming (and that's with all the non-2-player cards removed!). We're considering house-ruling it to be "the first card you find". How do you guys play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shan Rievan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmb
Usually we search for a specific card. The newer ones to the game may not know what they should take. Usually, this is the reason why they take so long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chan
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Yea I believe its supposed to be whichever you want to find. I've found this to be one of the few problems I have with the game. I think I'm going to make a "Shopping List" of the cards such as Narwhals and stuff so that they can decide on the card first without having to go through the deck, and then they can search the deck specifically for that card. House-ruling the first one you draw is a pretty cool idea too though. I might try that next time!

My other thing is just the shuffle the discard pile back into the deck. I have a great time playing it, but I think the Apocalypse Expansion in particular makes the game quite long because of its mechanics. I liked it the first few times, but I think I'm leaning away from it now in favor of having the pacing of the game be a little faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick H
Canada
flag msg tools
My group has errata'd the search feature to reveal cards from the top of the deck until you reveal the required card type. we found it was taking forever for people to go through the deck, especially when playing with all the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teresa Larraya
Spain
flag msg tools
We search the whole deck for the card we want. Once you played a few times you know what card you want and the other can help you look for it by splitting the deck and then shuffling all together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bailey
msg tools

Search for any card of type required. The chosen card is also revealed to all players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.