Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I like to do while playing Xia whenever a planet is discovered, is to place 2 cubes on the BUY space and 1 cube on the SELL space. The cubes do not get removed when buying/selling and instead are simply there to provide a nice visual to players what type of cargo each planet buys & sells. This works out great, especially for players who cannot easily read every tile from where they are sitting. The problem is it can look like cargo had been jettisoned, or it can get confusing when cargo actually is jettisoned in those spaces. In order to avoid this, I was thinking of using little flag marker type of token and glue printouts of the resource type on each flag. However, I thought I would tap the community to see if others do the same thing or have some neat ideas what could be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Use smaller (5/16") cubes.

The Xia cubes are 3/8". If you have a stash of gaming components which you've collected over the years, you likely have spare 5/16" cubes sitting in a plastic bag waiting on a purpose.

Grab enough of those, and paint them, to suit your purpose.

Or buy the small cubes available in the BGG store.

At any rate, the smaller size will be enough to distinguish between the "reference" cubes and "working" cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could buy a box of "Alpha-Bits" cereal.
Pluck out the: T, H, S, P, and C's.
Then paint them in their respective colors.

Or match the cargo color with your favorite candy (like Skittles). the player that causes the commodity shortage gets to eat all the candy in that color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a similar but different component. BGG store has cubes and crystals for sale.

I picked this up off Amazon a long time ago, and while I don't utilize it well at all right now, and less than I would have liked... I was instantly happy to have it once it arrived:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QDTVFG/?tag=article-bo...

There are other resources too, like meeples... or these transparent disks might work even better:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004WKPM?tag=article-boa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyinsar -
Canada
Grande Prairie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any player aid that speeds up play is great in my view. What about putting those cubes in a little frame? What I’m thinking is cutting a small square (or hex) out of white foam board then cutting a hole big enough for two cubes. Cut another square out of black foam board with a hole big enough for one cube. White squares are where resources are produced and black squares are where they are consumed. For the outlaw planets just leave the frames empty (unless you can find rainbow cubes).

Since I only have white foam board (3mm I think) at the moment I’ll probably just colour that with a black marker. Actually, the frame could be made out of a variety of materials but foam board is easy and that’s what I have on hand.

Thanks for the idea.

- The only downside I see is how do you park your ship on these spaces? House rule that you only have to be next to that space? Or treat it like you would if another player was already on that spot (2 moves to use)? I think I prefer the last option but others may disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.