Hide
14 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Long rest and partially spent items (with charges) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dor Levi
msg tools
What happens if I'm performing a long rest, and I have an item with charges (usually an armor) that still has some charges left?

Does it return to full, or remains as is?

Also: (prosperity 4 spoiler)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'm guessing the answer also applies to using the Moon Earring item to refresh spent items.

And: (saw class spoiler)
As well as the "refresh an item" attack modifier card of this class

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Those items aren't technically "spent" until the token moves off the last circle and onto the "spent" icon on the item card.
Thus according to the RAW, they cannot be refreshed, since they are not yet spent.

But I cheat and houserule that they can be refreshed even if they aren't fully spent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Those items aren't technically "spent" until the token moves off the last circle and onto the "spent" icon on the item card.
Thus according to the RAW, they cannot be refreshed, since they are not yet spent.

But I cheat and houserule that they can be refreshed even if they aren't fully spent

You're not the only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dor Levi
msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
Thus according to the RAW...

What does "RAW" mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gazzola
msg tools
Rules As Written

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schoaff
msg tools
mbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

You're not the only one.

I really try to play RAW, but that one just seems overly nitpicky and not necessary for game balance to me so that is one of our very few house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fellvengeance wrote:
Rules As Written

that's the standard definition for that acronym.

Alternatively, one could use it as "Rambling Annoying Weirdo" if referring to me. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Komninos Maraslidis
Greece
flag msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:

Where in the rules does it say that?
I thought I read somewhere (FAQ?) that when you have for example an armor with 3 token slots, you choose to activate it when you want (being attacked) and you spend it (tap it sideways) then place the token on slot 1 and move it for each attack that causes you damage after that. But you tap first so you must use the armor and move the token on all attacks after that (that cause damage).
In short, you activate the item and then it works. Activation means spent.
I'm probably wrong.
Where's the ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
The armor is active from the very moment you start the scenario. You can choose not to brig it with you, though.

Everytime you are attacked (and there is enough damage) you MUST consume a charge to gain shield 1.

When the last charge is consumed you flip it sideways. If you look at the arrows on the card, it is exactly what it tells you to do.

If you prefer the FAQS:
Quote:

When do equiped items become active?
Equipped items are active from the beginning of the scenario, such that if an item reacts to an enemies actions, it can do so immediately.

Is the use of an item card mandatory? What about item cards with multi-use circles/charges?
If an item card does not have circles to track multiple uses, then you can decide when to use it - it is not mandatory.

Item cards with circles to track multiple uses act exactly like persistent ability cards, in that if the situation applies, you must use the item in reaction and lose a charge. Additionally, it should be noted that if the card has a spent icon in the lower right corner, it is not technically spent until all charges have been lost, and so cannot be refreshed through resting or other abilities until all charges have been used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

just look at the item card itself. The "spent" icon is shown after the final circle, complete with an arrow pointing to it.

That means it becomes spent when the last charge is used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Komninos Maraslidis
Greece
flag msg tools
Oops, you're right.
In my defense I've never used an armor/body that gives shield

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dor Levi
msg tools
fellvengeance wrote:
Rules As Written

Thanks!

Also thanks everyone for your answers.

We'll give it a few more plays to see if we need to house rule here or not, as currently in a 4 player group there's just one such item anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, only one. Definitely don't expect to see that functionality ever again in the 200 or so other items in the game. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Yep, only one. Definitely don't expect to see that functionality ever again in the 200 or so other items in the game. ninja

they said there is currently only one such item being used in their group. They didn't say anything about future items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.