Subject: Are shares kept after dividends & double dividends rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Are we correct in assuming that invested shares stay on the table (and are subsequently added to) after each set of dividends are given?

Also, how do "Double Dividends" (drawing a Dividend card to replace a drawn dividend card) work? I.E. - if this happens for the second dividend, is the second dividend simply twice as large, or does this constitute the 2nd AND the 3rd dividend?

Great game - simpler to learn than we had expected! Only played once with two people, so far, but look forward to more games with more people! Only wish is that the money was more substantial/easier to handle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Are shares kept after dividends
them (#32513),

Yes, you keep your shares after each dividend. But that brings up an interesting idea for a variant.....

If there are two consecutive dividends, each pay out the same amount. For this reason, always turn up or draw the next card, just in case the payouts can be made simultaneously.

Paper and pencil will work instead of using the money, but I agree the moeny isn't as nice as the rest of the components (and doesn't fit as well in the custom liner.

This is a fun little game. I think three or four is the best size, but it really does work 2-6, IMO.

Happy Gaming,
Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
qzhdad (#32522),

Thanks Scott, but I'm still not sure about the multiple dividends - if there are UP shares on the table, how could they be worth the same for each dividend?

UP shares are worth different amounts depending on the dividend number, right? So if you draw a dividend card while replacing a drawn dividend card (two in a row, a "Double Dividend"), wouldn't the second card have to represent the next sequential Dividend scoring - and hence pay more per UP share than the previous Dividend? Otherwise if you just double everything and treat it as a single dividend of twice the value, wouldn't you come up one Dividend shy by end of game?

What am I missing?

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
them (#32530),

The dividend card is totally separate from the stock certificates. So drawing a second dividend card has no effect on the distribution of the stock certificates and therefore Scott was correct, the dividend(s) should be paid double.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stayman (#32577),
dividends should be paid double?? Wait a minute! The English translation of the rules that I've been using state:

During the first dividend, Union
Pacific shares have no value. For the following three dividends, the players receive their
payments in the order of shares they own as shown in the table below

The Union Pacific stock dividend table then shows $0 for the first dividend payout; $10, $8, $6, $4, $2, and $0 for the second round payout; $15, $12, $9, $6, $3, and $0 for the third payout; and $20, $15, $12, $8, $4, and $0 for the fourth round payout. So if you have the second and third dividend back to back the player with the most UP stock will get $10 + $15 the second place player will get $12 + $8 and so on while the rest of their stock dividends are simply doubled.

This is the same in the Rio Grande rules right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavedog_pdx (#32641),

Total agreement with you, sorry I should have been more careful.

I was refering to the regular stocks ONLY, The UP stock didvend is always paid according to it's table. I.e if the 2 and 3rd dividend card comes up back to back you pay double dividends for everything EXCEPT UP stock. Which you always pay UP2 and UP3. Sorry I should have been more clear.

At least my translation reads this way, I have the German Version as well. I guess it would be nice to hear from a native german speaker, or someone with the Rio Grande version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.