Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to complain here about my sorrow and never understand why games like Azul or Sagrada or a sequel like Gaia Project are considered better than Pulsar.

It remember me of 20thCentury that few know, I did play it in a group of experienced players and they found it great and wondered why it had disappeared from the radar, the same happens to Pulsar2849 who did not receive enough consent to be noticed.

This is an old story, probably the community prefer games that return an instant gratification, but see family games included in the list of best game of the year is ridiculous.

How to react? Just by playing, bringing back your impressions, trying to dig deep into a game that only a great designer can forge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
"better" is always subjective. As are the awards. But I think it is fair to say that those 3 games you mentioned are far more popular and will say way more copies than Pulsar. Certainly Azul and Sagrada fall into the family / gateway category and will thus have wider appear and be more successful.

But yeah, doesn't mean they are necessarily "better", but when have any awards been about what is best?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dionne
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize that this is often a popularity contest, but I'm with you Marcus. Definitely a Top 3 game for me in 2017 and it's a shame it's not getting more recognition. But even if it was nominated, Gloomhaven will likely win everything...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's a popularity contest but it think it reflects a certain change in the BGG audience. The typical user used to be the heavy Eurogamer, which would be all over something like Pulsar. Now it's more about beautiful artwork, overproduced components, endless marketing and shallow gameplay. There are some notable exceptions, like GWT. Or anything by Uwe. That one never goes out of style.

And for some reason, I always felt that CGE games in general tend to go a bit under the radar (with the notable exception of TtA). I'm leaving aside Codenames, which is not their typical game at all. Maybe they should put some minis in those boxes instead of focusing on gameplay.*

But I agree, Pulsar is great. For me it's the best Euro since GWT.

* Please don't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Baum
msg tools
I think tastes change. If you look at the top of the BGG list a few years ago, you'd find solid mid-weight Euros -- Puerto Rico, Brass, Agricola, Hansa Teutonica, Goa, Caylus. Look at the games that have skyrocketed in recent years? Pandemic Legacy 1 & 2, Gloomhaven, Mechs vs. Minions, Star Wars Rebellion, etc. There are, of course, many solid Euros scattered throughout the top 50, but those are mostly sliding down the rankings chart every week. Just look at the notable fallers on the "games risking quickly" geeklist. Le Havre, Food Chain Magnate, Ora et Labora, Brass, Puerto Rico are the games constantly on that list.

The other problem is that there are many more good Euros being released. A game like Pulsar, or like Otys, or Rajas, or Agra, or Riverboat, or Heaven & Ale, or Transatlantic, or Noria, or Altiplano, or Lisboa, or Santa Maria, or Nusfjord, or Keyper, or Montana, or Lignum would have received some more attention a decade ago. Today, with hundreds of games coming out throughout the year, many games end up slipping under the radar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is more of a population shift in the BGG population than tastes changing (not that tastes don't change).

Coops/Legacy games end up being more approachable, which can draw more people into the hobby that are inclined to like those types of games more.

----------------------------------

I personally don't do nominations for games as I saw just how much my tastes don't really agree with the majority. So as a result, I just ignore the golden geek awards altogether.

I don't know if there are others like me that would prefer a dry well designed euro has also done the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
I personally don't do nominations for games as I saw just how much my tastes don't really agree with the majority. So as a result, I just ignore the golden geek awards altogether.

I don't know if there are others like me that would prefer a dry well designed euro has also done the same.

I don't for the same reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:

Except of course for voting for the Gaming Rules! podcast, which you are always mentioned on Good question for Zev BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing you need to consider is that Essan games will have a harder time getting into the BGG Awards due to available and timing

I believe Pulsar had delays coming over to the States and it is a new game. The only game on the nomination list from Essan was Gaia Project but that's because it already had a following from TM.

The bgg top lists still have many euros in it, just that it's more split down the line now.. with thematic games getting the better end of the deal. Even most euros now need to have a good setting to get attention
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filthy Gringo
Australia
flag msg tools
Many scores and votes here reflect a dominant demographic. As someone has already stated, that demographic is changing. It’s not better or worse, just different. I think what we’re witnessing on BGG is the influx of people discovering a love of board games.

If you know what you like, support the developers and stick with it. Most people that start out with board games eventually crave something deeper after a while, and they might drift toward the titles we now cherish.

I’ve always been generally impressed by CGE games titles, and will continue to follow them, regardless of the hype (or lack thereof).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

Except of course for voting for the Gaming Rules! podcast, which you are always mentioned on Good question for Zev BTW.

I assumed Gloomhaven was a sure winner for Best Podcast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.