Popular Tags: [View All]
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the German rules online and while I don't know German enough to make a perfect translation, this game is indeed the Keltis: Der Weg der Steine Mitbringspiel of Lost Cities. But it does not mean the game is the same - everything is just adjusted to Lost Cities.

- Unlike in early reports, there are no tiles with the same number/color: there are tiles numbered 2 to 10 and 3 bet tiles (see LC) in 5 colors, and 4 raid tiles. Also, there are two storage tiles.

- Just like in case of the previous games with the Lost Cities title in the Lost Cities/Keltis family, the game consists of 3 subsequent plays and you add up points in the end.

- Like in Keltis Mitbringspiel, tiles are mixed and face-down. When it's your turn, either reveal a hidden tile (1), take an open tile (2) or use a storage tile (3).

1a, If it's a number or bet tile, you can leave it there, add it to your camp (only 2 spaces) or add it to an expedition (you can also start the expedition with bet tiles like in LC). Keep an ascending order as it's an LC game.

Numbers 2, 3 and 4 placed give you an immediate extra action - like adding another tile to the same expedition from the face-up tiles or your storage.

1b, If it's a raid tile, place it face-up next to the supply (discarding it), then discard one of the face-up tiles from the common pool OR from your storage!

2, just take the open tile and add it to your storage or expedition.

3, use a storage tile for one of your expeditions.

Game ends when the last face-down tile is turned up. Scoring of the expeditions is the same as in Lost Cities (add up numbers, deduct 20 points for each expedition, multiply by 1+number of bet tiles, 8+ tiles in an expedition mean extra 20 pts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Merillon
France
Paris
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for summarizing all those details. Of course, the most blatant change (other than the theme) is that Lost Cities ATG is only for 2 players (whereas Keltis MBS was for 2 to 4 players). I hope the rules have been retuned for that purpose, because Keltis MBS shined more with 3 players than with 2 players...

Kosmos page (with PDF rulebook) for Lost Cities Abenteuer To Go: https://www.kosmos.de/spielware/spiele/familienspiele/9597/l...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoixPecan wrote:
Of course, the most blatant change (other than the theme) is that Lost Cities ATG is only for 2 players (whereas Keltis MBS was for 2 to 4 players). I hope the rules have been retuned for that purpose, because Keltis MBS shined more with 3 players than with 2 players...

Using the same scoring rules as the Lost Cities card game (which is also 2-player only) is good of course. The raid tiles will also help, as no face-up tile is safe as long as some raid tiles are unaccounted for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wray
United States
Harrisonville
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, lacxox! That was very helpful. We got in a few plays tonight.

A few quick questions for the group:

(1) I translated the raid tiles as allowing you to also discard a face-down tile (not just a face-up one). Is that accurate?

(2) I translated the bonus parchments as only allowing you to place a tile on the same expedition, either by taking a face up tile from that expedition or one from your reserve. Is that accurate?

(3) Anybody know why the back of the box says "2+" players when the front says it is for two?

(4) Any thoughts on the suggestion that you play 3 times? You'd have to play very quickly to get three rounds of this in the suggested 20-minute timeframe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chriswray84 wrote:
(1) I translated the raid tiles as allowing you to also discard a face-down tile (not just a face-up one). Is that accurate?

It's either, but not both. Or a tile from your storage. (so it's a, a face-up OR b, a face-down tile from the middle OR c, a tile from your storage.)

chriswray84 wrote:
(2) I translated the bonus parchments as only allowing you to place a tile on the same expedition, either by taking a face up tile from that expedition or one from your reserve. Is that accurate?

It's not worded entirely clearly but I believe that is accurate.

chriswray84 wrote:
(3) Anybody know why the back of the box says "2+" players when the front says it is for two?

As the rulebook says two, I guess it's just a typo or a mistake made while they edited the box layouts for 3 different Lost Cities games published at the same time.

chriswray84 wrote:
(4) Any thoughts on the suggestion that you play 3 times? You'd have to play very quickly to get three rounds of this in the suggested 20-minute timeframe.

I think it was the same with Lost Cities - 3 plays was the (strongly) suggested way to play but playing only one round is also possible (am I wrong?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uisge Beatha
Scotland
flag msg tools
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
badge
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
mb

From your description of the components, it sounds like you could use this to play the original card game rules if you ignore the raid/storage tiles. Is that so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.