11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Titanomachia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob W.
Canada
flag msg tools

I've been working on this game ever since I went back to school to be a technical writer, something like six years ago. I started writing up better Adeptus Titanicus rules to play with my ancient Adeptus Titanicus set, and it sort of spiraled out of control from there. Certain decisions, I think, like making it a board game instead of a tabletop wargame, are good ones. I also found I wasn't the only person with this idea, and it's kind of interesting to see what other people appear to have produced independently (Giga-Robo; GKR Heavy Hitters, etc).

Eventually this became its own thing, with 2-4 players fielding Titans and Terrain (to hit a certain a-symmetry design goal), managing and charging systems on the Titan to move, shoot, punch, kick, rotate shields, etc. A main part of the game is that systems are activated, and then need to charge for a couple of turns before they can be activated again. Of course, you may need to react with them at a reduced effect before you can use them at full charge...

Still, big stompy robots fighting over cities. Isn't that what the far future should be about?

I've also got a development blog.

Titanomachina.blogspot.ca

Essentially now that the game is working smoothly (and here I'll echo a sweating Steve Balmer's "Developers!" chant) I'm making a move towards production. I've got a 3D model of a robot, 12 modular weapons, 6 types of buildings, prototype cards, dashboards, board, and tokens. Oh, and there's dice. So I'm making a push to get quotes and business stuff all lined up to pull the trigger on a Kickstarter to get it into print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F Scott
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP: Titanomachia
I don't know anything about the original subject or even wargames, but the model looks cool. Is it an original model or based off of Titanicus? Would there be a copyright issue? In any case, good luck with development!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W.
Canada
flag msg tools
The model is original because I didn't want to infringe on the AT design. It's based off of Titanicus in the sense that the weapons are modular, since I really liked that about the original AT models (not so much the weird hunch, etc). I'm hoping it's different enough to pass muster, but hits enough of the same notes to catch the attention of people with fond memories of the original game.

For reference, here's the box art for Adeptus Titanicus:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F Scott
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nurglitch wrote:
The model is original because I didn't want to infringe on the AT design. It's based off of Titanicus in the sense that the weapons are modular, since I really liked that about the original AT models (not so much the weird hunch, etc). I'm hoping it's different enough to pass muster, but hits enough of the same notes to catch the attention of people with fond memories of the original game.

For reference, here's the box art for Adeptus Titanicus:

Ah i see! In that case, yes your model looks great! The design gives a nice solid, but familiar feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W.
Canada
flag msg tools
Speaking of things, here's the nigh-final box art. Any nit-picks? I have a few days before I give the artist final approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F Scott
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nurglitch wrote:
Speaking of things, here's the nigh-final box art. Any nit-picks? I have a few days before I give the artist final approval.

I really like the colors and the design. my only nitpick is that the gold fighter's front thigh seems a little off. Maybe it's too far forward? it kind of seems like it's crossing its legs as it runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W.
Canada
flag msg tools
The direction for the pose was that the gold Titan is supposed to be turning in reaction to the attack by the blue Titan, coming about to engage. It is a bit of a running posture though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W.
Canada
flag msg tools
Here's an update: Loic Billau, the artist, is onboard to do the rest of the art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W.
Canada
flag msg tools
Now here's a question for you all:

The plan is to manufacture a big box of stuff. This stuff includes:

1 Box (45cm by 60cm by 10cm)
1 Rulebook (12 pages, colour)
1 Gameboard (50cm by 50cm, 2mm sandwiched between 150gsm paper, one sided)
52 cards, poker-sized
12 dice
1 Punchboard sheet with 100 tokens (1.5mm sandwiched between 250gsm paper)
2 Dashboards (A4 sized, 350gsm)
2 Robots (Plastic)
12 Weapons (Plastic, fit on the robot)
80 Building Wall sections (Plastic, 4 = 1 building section, stackable)
20 Building Tops (Plastic)

Ideally I'd want to sell it for $50USD retail, but it occurred to me to see what kind of price people might tolerate. There's always that weird thing where people will buy more higher-priced stuff than lower-priced stuff, actual quality aside, because of the perceived value.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W.
Canada
flag msg tools
Dashboard is almost done....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W.
Canada
flag msg tools
Here's an update: The dashboard has been finalized.

The artist has started on the cards, and the sketches are both neat and nowhere near show-offable yet. After the box cover, dashboard, cards, tokens, rules, and board I'm going to mash the button on the KS to see who wants a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.