Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Whitham
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
My tip....

Keep track of figures worth more than 1 combat strength by stacking spare coins/ronin next to/on/under their base. Makes tracking combat strength and making decisions much quicker and easier.

Anyone got any other tips to help things run smoothly/quickly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
no tips but it's realllllly annoying that you have to keep asking how much power monster X is worth, or keeping track of who has Daimyoa/Bushi upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that I have to keep saying, "Please move your screens to the side."

Players habitually move cards and coins behind them. The only things the screens should ever conceal are coin placement during a battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias W.
msg tools
We use a 10-sided dice, matching the color of the clan to mark the strength of the corresponding clan before resolving battle in a province. One less thing to keep in mind during coin placement.

Works fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suryo
Indonesia
flag msg tools
At war phase if you're not participating in a battle, start some of the cleanup for the next season:

- collect mandate tiles and shuffle them
- return shintos to their owners
- discard remaining season cards and lay out the next set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Schneider
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with the dice solution as well: 12 sided dice, matching player colors save a ton of time. Even six-sided ones help more often tham not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian St. Pierre
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got large D20's in matching clan colors to show force values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua F

New Hampshire
msg tools
mbmbmb
We've been keeping the screens flat on the table and off to the side until war begins. Once we got past the natural urge to keep our screens up it was fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Whitham
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good stuff guys, this is useful Thought of another..

Seating order is determined by honour rank, so if you know what factions you're going to use, you can set up the entire game before guests arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only played once, what are you guys using the dice for?

Are you using it to show force values within a territory? Or for overall clan force bonuses?

Don't the daimyos also have varying force values with upgrades compared to bushi?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are using them to show force in battles. Especially with 3+ players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hyer
United States
Fruit Heights
Utah
flag msg tools
It's not about who wears the pants in the house, its about who controls the zipper!
badge
If I had a million dollars, I would still buy board games, just more of them!
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
They are using them to show force in battles. Especially with 3+ players.

As in all the time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But it's still important to know the force value of individual units, so players know the potential value of winning Capture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Whitham
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maebon wrote:
But it's still important to know the force value of individual units, so players know the potential value of winning Capture.

My solution in the first post has managed that for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nielson Jugalbot
Canada
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BoltzmannBrain wrote:
My tip....

Keep track of figures worth more than 1 combat strength by stacking spare coins/ronin next to/on/under their base. Makes tracking combat strength and making decisions much quicker and easier.

Anyone got any other tips to help things run smoothly/quickly?

I think this is quite clever. I will be using my spare cardboard coins for this. Thanks for the tip. Everyone else's suggestion are also great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian D
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At the start of each battle in a province we have all participants state how many coins and ronin they have in their reserve, and how much Force they have in the province.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maebon wrote:

It occurs to me that when painting figures, it would make sense to put some small dots on the base of monsters to represent their normal force numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piti Auearunyawat
msg tools
Drammattex wrote:

Players habitually move cards and coins behind them. The only things the screens should ever conceal are coin placement during a battle.

I also sometimes encounters this situation and think about house ruling that everything behind the screen or card that stacks under other card are temporary disabled/disappeared from the game until it moves back to open space that everyone can see.

A: My daimyo is 2 forces so I win this battle 2 to 1 force.
B: No. Your Path of the lion is under other card so now it is only 1 force and I have higher honor then I win.

A has Path of the builder
B: See A has no money. Hoping to block A from build a stronghold so he chooses to play marshal now when A has no money.
A: Bring out money from behide the screen to build stronghold.
B: No no my friend that money is fake money until you put it in open space before use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlatinumOh wrote:
Drammattex wrote:

I also sometimes encounters this situation and think about house ruling that everything behind the screen or card that stacks under other card are temporary disabled/disappeared from the game until it moves back to open space that everyone can see.

B: No. Your Path of the lion is under other card so now it is only 1 force and I have higher honor then I win.

B: See A has no money. Hoping to block A from build a stronghold so he chooses to play marshal now when A has no money.
B: No no my friend that money is fake money until you put it in open space before use.

Just have everyone lay their screens flat during the political phase and put the refrence card (with all the mandates) on top of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piti Auearunyawat
msg tools
Maebon wrote:
PlatinumOh wrote:
Drammattex wrote:

Just have everyone lay their screens flat during the political phase and put the refrence card (with all the mandates) on top of it.

It doesn’t solve the card stacking problem. Moreover it is more fun this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.