Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine my surprise at seeing Catchup in the update queue today. There’s a toggle button under Game Settings to switch on the new rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
orangeblood wrote:
Imagine my surprise at seeing Catchup in the update queue today. There’s a toggle button under Game Settings to switch on the new rule.

Yay! Good news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Surprise!

(now I just have to get rules translations so the new rule can be the default. I got some people to agree to do the translations, but actually arranging it all keeps slipping down my priority list. There's something more pressing to do.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been such a loooooong time since I even opened the app. I had forgotten how well done it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orangeblood wrote:
It's been such a loooooong time since I even opened the app. I had forgotten how well done it is.

Please continue to remember it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Time to get re-addicted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bennett Gardiner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
I'm concerned because to me the game and the app was perfect already? What's this new rule, Nick? Is it a variant of some kind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dispatch134711 wrote:
I'm concerned because to me the game and the app was perfect already? What's this new rule, Nick? Is it a variant of some kind?

The "new" rule is actually almost three years old, so the app is just catching up:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1358767/officially-chan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orangeblood wrote:
dispatch134711 wrote:

The "new" rule is actually almost three years old, so the app is just catching up:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1358767/officially-chan...

Also, it's been the default rule on Little Golem for most of the time the game has been on Little Golem (Something like 8000 games). Through that, we know the rule is nearly universally preferred. Since theory and practice are in near perfect alignment, I'm confident it's a significant improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
Also, it's been the default rule on Little Golem for most of the time the game has been on Little Golem (Something like 8000 games). Through that, we know the rule is nearly universally preferred.

How does the fact that it's the default rule on Little Golem tell us that it's nearly universally preferred?

(At best that would seem to tell us that it's preferred by the implementer at Little Golem...)

To be clear: I'm not disagreeing that it's preferred or that it's the best version of the rules. I'm just confused at the logic of the argument and wonder if I'm misunderstanding something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:
Also, it's been the default rule on Little Golem for most of the time the game has been on Little Golem (Something like 8000 games). Through that, we know the rule is nearly universally preferred.

How does the fact that it's the default rule on Little Golem tell us that it's nearly universally preferred?

(At best that would seem to tell us that it's preferred by the implementer at Little Golem...)

To be clear: I'm not disagreeing that it's preferred or that it's the best version of the rules. I'm just confused at the logic of the argument and wonder if I'm misunderstanding something.

Because it wasn't always the default there, and when they made the transition, I asked everybody I could for feedback. I got lots of answers. I couldn't find anyone who preferred it the old way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
when they made the transition, I asked everybody I could for feedback. I got lots of answers. I couldn't find anyone who preferred it the old way.

Aha, thanks -- OK, that information makes the argument make more sense for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:
when they made the transition, I asked everybody I could for feedback. I got lots of answers. I couldn't find anyone who preferred it the old way.

Aha, thanks -- OK, that information makes the argument make more sense for me.

I left out some critical information
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The Catchup argument has been updated with new information. Most people surveyed say that they find the new Catchup argument more convincing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
The Catchup argument has been updated with new information. Most people surveyed say that they find the new Catchup argument more convincing!

hahahahahahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally downloaded the app.
Great game Nick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Player of Games wrote:
Finally downloaded the app.
Great game Nick!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia Milne
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note of caution, the developer says that when you play online, you can only play with the original rulessoblue

But now against an AI on the app I can practice the same game as played on LG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VirginiaMilne wrote:
Just a note of caution, the developer says that when you play online, you can only play with the original rulessoblue

Sorry!

As Nick mentioned, I'll be happy to update the app to make the new rule default, but it requires a bunch of changes to various pieces of text in the app, (rules & tutorial, mainly). The making of those changes is not hard, but coordinating volunteer translators is quite painful. (I wish the app made enough money that paying for translations was a no-brainer!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.